Rolando Aarons

Chapo

Don’t think I have ever been as wrong about a young player as I have about Aarons (at least to date). Really thought he had it all.

I think he had it all. But injuries and not given a chance have really halted his progress. Will be a good player at championship level if he stays injuryfree.

Really hard to say how he’ll turn out, as he’s got talent. He just hasn’t played. 33 league games under his belt across four seasons. He desperately needs to get a full season in somewhere. It definitely won’t happen here, so I’m not concerned if we do end up selling him.

Guest Howaythetoon

To me, he seems to have one strength and that’s his pace, he doesn’t look like someone who will become even a mid level PL player IMO, without wanting to right him off like. He seems to have attitude problems and hangers on as well and this is from someone I know who has worked within the academy set-up and later the so-called development squad over the years. Mind it seems that kind of culture runs right throughout the club under the senior set up or did before Rafa arrived.

• 2 weeks later...

Hardly surprising imo, he's looked pretty awful whenever he's turned out for us in recent years (albeit not much - although in preseason he was absolutely dire). Not convinced he will ever be a PL footballer, but best of luck to him wherever his career goes from here, the City & Palace games are pretty memorable ones thanks to him.

When you watch him running drills before a game, his technique is unbelievable. His touch and close control are fantastic. Guess he’ll never make it for us but he’s a very talented player.

Very talented player? Probably end up in league 1 in the near future. We need mid table pl quality, if they aren't that then we are wasting our time. Send them out on loan and see if they are good enough elsewhere. I'm

Sick to death of us playing players who aren't good enough in cup games and throwing them year after year with said players ending up way below our level

When you watch him running drills before a game, his technique is unbelievable. His touch and close control are fantastic. Guess he’ll never make it for us but he’s a very talented player.

Very talented player? Probably end up in league 1 in the near future. We need mid table pl quality, if they aren't that then we are wasting our time. Send them out on loan and see if they are good enough elsewhere. I'm

Sick to death of us playing players who aren't good enough in cup games and throwing them year after year with said players ending up way below our level

99.9% of youth team players aren't at that mid-table PL quality; training, coaching, fitness and mental stability play a massive part in the development of players through to a first team. I'm sure Rolando hasn't had the greatest development path to this point...such a simplistic view of the situation to simply say he's not good enough right now, maybe so, but there's underlying factors and reasons for that and it has nothing to do with blooding him in cup games. He had potential to be a player for us, hasn't worked out but it's not because the quality isn't there necessarily, more it hasn't been nurtured.

He broke into the first team and did very well over a couple of games. Looking back at the start of this thread it was August 2014 when he first made an impact. 'Big' clubs like Chelsea were supposed to be interested in him. NUFC signed him on a long term contract. He got a bad injury and he has never got back to the pre-injury level.

99.9% of youth team players aren't at that mid-table PL quality; training, coaching, fitness and mental stability play a massive part in the development of players through to a first team. I'm sure Rolando hasn't had the greatest development path to this point...such a simplistic view of the situation to simply say he's not good enough right now, maybe so, but there's underlying factors and reasons for that and it has nothing to do with blooding him in cup games. He had potential to be a player for us, hasn't worked out but it's not because the quality isn't there necessarily, more it hasn't been nurtured.

With us it's pretty much always the case they end up at a far lower level though. Carroll and dummett are the only ones I can think of who have came though to be pl standard. 2 players in what, 15 years?

The other sub standard crocks of shit have been partly responsible for a decade of Cup surrenders

Sad to see how much Ashley has lowered people's expectations of the standard we should be looking for. The era with Curtis good, bigirimana, vuckic, abeid, Adam Campbell etc was fucking tragic. 

I’m just saying he’s got a lot of ability, more than most of our players. Your problem seems to be more with the club’s attitude to cup, which I agree with.