Crystal Palace manager

Mick

I just think a lot of us probably felt liberated from Pardew, the massive caveat of course the club remaining under the control of Ashley.  Being rid of Pardew and still serving the same dross ourselves will make his likely failure a lot less sweeter.

We had a huge chance to make an imaginative and forward thinking appointment and we've ballsed it up

As awful as Pardew was, he didn't dictate the style of the club. Our culture of failure runs much deeper than any manager.

He loved it though, it rejuvenated his career.  Even being a bit more capable than Kinnear meant he couldn't lose.

Oh yeah, can't argue with that.

I just think a lot of us probably felt liberated from Pardew, the massive caveat of course the club remaining under the control of Ashley.  Being rid of Pardew and still serving the same dross ourselves will make his likely failure a lot less sweeter.

We had a huge chance to make an imaginative and forward thinking appointment and we've ballsed it up

Tbh before we brought in Pardew we were mostly perfectly happy with Hughton and the way he had the club headed, it's easy to forget that even Hughton was a lucky gamble that paid off to an extent and every appointment Ashley has ever made has been a fucking joke other than Keegan.

Slightly harsh on Shearer I suppose, given that was a gamble that didn't pay off and in different circumstances he might have made a better fist of it, whether he ended up being a good manager or not.

Ironically enough I've started thinking Shearer could be a decent boss one day but doubt he'll ever go for it, he speaks with a lot more authority these days and could see him being both nice and nasty in the dressing room and getting away with it. Does speak sense on MOTD now too, although he'll clearly not be a brilliant tactician or anything.

Shearer would be another Souness imo.

Going back to Bamford, would be good business for Ashley to flog Perez and get Bamford on loan for the rest of the season :anguish:. Can definitely see this happening.

The most regretful thing is we haven't moved on from his era as a club in terms of our style of play or results, of course still being permanently hampered by Ashley. 

Despite an initial attempt by McClaren to play better football it has since been ditched for more of less of what was served up under this idiot. 

We've gone a bit more direct recently, as in not always passing it out from the back.  But no way are we playing the same style as under Pardew, nowhere near IMO.

Pardew crying is one of time's most golden moments. Beautiful, magical stuff.

The moment the man who had inflicted so much misery on others finally felt it himself.

...And we're now playing beautiful majestic football of course  :rolleyes:

:lol: We are now a Ford Fiesta and we drive like one. Under Pardew we were a Mercedes that drove like a Cortina.

So the team that we added 3 first team players is a Fiesta but the original was a Mercedes? LOL

Was obviously on about the team that contained Cabaye, HBA et al. But carry on.

The moment the man who had inflicted so much misery on others finally felt it himself.

:lol: We are now a Ford Fiesta and we drive like one. Under Pardew we were a Mercedes that drove like a Cortina.

So the team that we added 3 first team players is a Fiesta but the original was a Mercedes? LOL

The 17th season was woeful but even then there's a few valid reasons that contributed to the slide (Europa, lack of investment in Aug then half a new team from France in January). But the next season until Cabaye was sold the team got good points on the board. Last season I think he over achieved with the squad until he left. Cisse somehow found his shooting boots and pretty much every goal Perez scored earned us some points. I was sure he would relegate us with that squad.

The 17th season was woeful but even then there's a few valid reasons that contributed to the slide (Europa, lack of investment in Aug then half a new team from France in January). But the next season until Cabaye was sold the team got good points on the board. Last season I think he over achieved with the squad until he left. Cisse somehow found his shooting boots and pretty much every goal Perez scored earned us some points. I was sure he would relegate us with that squad.

Newcastle United have never finished 17th in the Premier League.

Palace can keep cleansheets or keep the score down. They'll be okay and in the top half if that can be maintained. If they can keep the bit of magic injury free there's a realistic chance of top 6/8.

They have the team spirit, morale and belief for "keep it tight and win it with a bit of magic" to work more times than not.

Okay 16th. That doesn't change the point of anything though does it?

Just thought you'd like to know so that you're not wrong again in future. It's painful to see such an erudite member of the forum get something wrong.

Guest firetotheworks

TCD, did you miss the huge list of posts that Wullie found of your's or something? Are you still going on like you thought this way all along?

Did you miss the posts where I could see not everything was Pardew's fault?

But yes, if your point is that time is showing Pardew did a better job than we thought of at the time, I agree.

I don't believe in black & white perspectives. I don't think he's a good manager but I don't think he's the worst. I think a lot of people even now, think the squad is better than it really is.

Guest firetotheworks

Do they? I must have missed all of those people thinking that.

Time will prove that once again you're on the wrong side of hindsight though. He had a team with HBA, Cabaye, Ba, Cisse, Santon, MYM, Debuchy, Sissoko, Marveaux etc fighting relegation. Hindsight (right now) doesn't change that, nor does it change his routine cycle at other clubs.

Nobody thought everything was Pardew's fault :lol:

Time isn't showing that he did a better job than we thought of at the time, but it is allowing people to rewrite history. He had a strong squad here and it wasn't until we sold Cabaye that that really changed. McClaren, although I didn't want him and I still don't, has never had that luxury.

Obviously it could have been better, ignoring the fact he was complicit from the start you could complain that we were short in reserve, our bench has never been stellar and we've always had 1 or 2 misfits in the starting XI, but nothing close to what we have now.

Guest firetotheworks

Nobody thought everything was Pardew's fault :lol:

Time isn't showing that he did a better job than we thought of at the time, but it is allowing people to rewrite history. He had a strong squad here and it wasn't until we sold Cabaye that that really changed. McClaren, although I didn't want him and I still don't, has never had that luxury.

Obviously it could have been better, ignoring the fact he was complicit from the start you could complain that we were short in reserve, our bench has never been stellar and we've always had 1 or 2 misfits in the starting XI, but nothing close to what we have now.

When your second best attacking threat is your right back that tells its own story imo. Our midfield is the most unsuitable pairing I've ever seen for us, our strikers are substandard and we have a defence that's been terrible and hardly been changed. Even in like players like Wijnaldum, I don't ever look at them and think they're as good as someone like HBA or Cabaye was.