Crystal Palace manager

Mick

I hate the 'there's no-one else to appoint' argument that some idiots run. There are loads of realistic appointments we could make.

Hit me with them.

I dont think there is, Ashley's appointments have been Kinnear and Pardew so far and were both out of work hacks.  I would suspect the next person who walks through the door after Pardew will be someone similar.

The pool of managers we will recruit/hire from will be farily small.

Guest thenorthumbrian

I hate the 'there's no-one else to appoint' argument that some idiots run. There are loads of realistic appointments we could make.

Hit me with them.

I dont think there is, Ashley's appointments have been Kinnear and Pardew so far and were both out of work hacks.  I would suspect the next person who walks through the door after Pardew will be someone similar.

A quality manager would never work for a lying bag of puss like Ashley.

Hit me with them.

Are you asking me if Ashley would realistically appoint them or if there are better managers who hypothetically might be prepared to come to us if asked? Off the top of my head, I think we could have approached and had discussions with Bielsa (before he went to Marseille), Tuchel, Paco Jemez, Dragan Stojkovic, Zdenek Zemen, Laudrup, De Boer, Ketsbaia, Eddie Howe. I don't see a reason why the above list that I came up with in one minute could not be enlarged with extra thought.

Clearly not all of them would be prepared to work for Ashley but that wasn't what I said.

Yeah I definitely don't agree with that. Most foreign managers will happy work under our structure, and this is Nufc, it's still a massive job for someone.

So would most English managers - we're a massive club and if you do well you'll be lauded for decades, if you don't Ashley will always shoulder some of the blame. So long as you're not a control freak RE: transfers and such most managers would jump at the chance provided wages (that old stumbling block) were agreeable.

Guest Roger Kint

I also think wages would be a stumbling block, I bet Pardew is on peanuts.

The only stumbling block i can see is that anyone remotely bordering on decent will want to have a backroom staff instead of three fat nobodies taking the training

Guest neesy111

The only stumbling block i can see is that anyone remotely bordering on decent will want to have a backroom staff instead of three fat nobodies taking the training

Pardew was allowed his wasn't he? I'm sure that would be ok.

Well, there was fuck all left when Hughton was sacked.

Are you asking me if Ashley would realistically appoint them or if there are better managers who hypothetically might be prepared to come to us if asked? Off the top of my head, I think we could have approached and had discussions with Bielsa (before he went to Marseille), Tuchel, Paco Jemez, Dragan Stojkovic, Zdenek Zemen, Laudrup, De Boer, Ketsbaia, Eddie Howe. I don't see a reason why the above list that I came up with in one minute could not be enlarged with extra thought.

Clearly not all of them would be prepared to work for Ashley but that wasn't what I said.

Bielsa is not manager for clubs where he must be with players every day. Zeman is far away from Premier League standards, and quality what Newcastle need. Manager for Seria B teams.

You could add to that list Slaven Bilic, the Algerian or Chilean manager.

Bilić is nothing more then average European manager. Vaha would be interesting, but I don't think he will be there long under this transfer policy.

Guest Roger Kint

Pardew was allowed his wasn't he? I'm sure that would be ok.

Well, there was fuck all left when Hughton was sacked.

He is probably still sweating over those payoffs to Fat Sams 70 man team, little wonder we have been threadbare since the day he was peddled

Ashley doesn't seem to think of the long-term benefits of appointing a good manager and paying the going rate but just thinks of saving the money now.  If he hired a good manager with a history of developing players, he would reap the financial benefits of that.  We bring in good players so if they were developed, we would get bigger fees for them and surely more youngsters would develop - at least to the extent where we could get a reasonable fee for them rather than just releasing them when their contracts are up.

Also if we were playing good football then more people would go to the games as it would become an enjoyable experience again.

Hit me with them.

+ Keegan, + Hughton

Agree with your point though.

Ashley doesn't seem to think of the long-term benefits of appointing a good manager and paying the going rate but just thinks of saving the money now.  If he hired a good manager with a history of developing players, he would reap the financial benefits of that.  We bring in good players so if they were developed, we would get bigger fees for them and surely more youngsters would develop - at least to the extent where we could get a reasonable fee for them rather than just releasing them when their contracts are up.

Also if we were playing good football then more people would go to the games as it would become an enjoyable experience again.

As with so many things the club does, penny wise pound foolish.

Hit me with them.

is there a reason you didn't mention moyes btw?

Hit me with them.

+ Keegan, + Hughton

Agree with your point though.

Fair enough, I'll give you KK and even he couldn't cope with the meddling from above. Hughton was basically all that was left after relegation.

I'm sorry but you simply have to say with hindsight that the Hughton appointment was a success.

With hindsight yeah but i remember the feeling being one of worry as we stumbled into the season with nothing from Ashley or Llambias.

Guest thenorthumbrian

I also think its easy to place too much emphasis on Kinnear.  The club was in free fall and I think he was a desperate measure. I don't think there was ever a long term plan for Joe at the club. I know there was all that contract talk but I think that was just Ashley trying to help Kinnear back into work.

So Ashley was just trying to help his drinking pal out with a job.How nice.

Ashley's job should be to do the best for NUFC.

Pardew walking because of the abuse is more likely than Ashley sacking the prick. He's survived a near-relegation, abysmal runs of results and performances and headbutting opposition players so he's safe as houses. Needs to be driven into his dugout and made to stay there until he just gives up.

This is the only way he'll go. He's got more front than Whitley Bay and he'll hate the ego hit if he's constantly getting rinsed off the crowd.

He's already known to be prone to cracking under any pressure.

He'll have to walk before Ashley bins him, 100%.

Hit me with them.

is there a reason you didn't mention moyes btw?

Forgot about him to be honest. I'd like Moyes here but I suspect his wages would be too high. I think in general, as with English players, better value seems to be found abroad. For example, I think Bilic is only on 600k a year, and the Algerian coach was on 300k or something low.

I also think its easy to place too much emphasis on Kinnear.  The club was in free fall and I think he was a desperate measure. I don't think there was ever a long term plan for Joe at the club. I know there was all that contract talk but I think that was just Ashley trying to help Kinnear back into work.

To even pick up the phone to Kineear, mind you after KK walked saying he was sick of Ahsley selling his players, I'm not sure who would have taken the job on.

For me, I have zero faith in Ashley going out and picking up a young forward thinking manager or an expierniced old head.  He has the club where he wants it.  Why change it?

Minimal outlay / maintain league status - Pardew delivers this.