Crystal Palace manager

Mick

It's ludicrous how many people underrate the importance of a manager in football. Do they think Atlético had the best squad in La Liga last season?

I think it's a mixed picture, sometimes a great manager can be let down by not having the right resources. Martinez at Wigan for example.

But either way, what you definitely can't have is a manager that makes every player worse and produces a team which is much less than the sum of its parts. That's what Pardew is doing.

Yes, that's for sure. Your squad is way better than it shows.

not sure its that much better, I look at that spine of the side and I see a terrible set of cbs, a central midfield area lacking anything resembling creativity  and up front none of them look up to it. To top it off there is nothing and I mean nothing resembling leadership in the squad

Glen Roeder took  a much worse squad into Europe following Souness's sacking. There's no way this team should be in relegation trouble, even if we are weak in one or two areas.

With a decent manager, our defence can be organised into an ok unit - even Pardew has done it in the past. Further up, Ben Arfa, Sissoko, De Jong and Cisse would be enough to see us safe. Cabella could go either way and Aarons looks good, but 2 of those 4 are gone til January.

AAAARRRGGGHHH JUST SACK HIM!!!

Colo's done and Williamson very meh at the best of times.

They're not great but they're not as awful as they look at the moment.

they're nowhere near good enough. Williamson is our best central defender, how many other premier league teams would he get in and start every week?

It's ludicrous how many people underrate the importance of a manager in football. Do they think Atlético had the best squad in La Liga last season?

Literally the most important person at a Football club.  The manager sets the tone, attitude and demands for the players to meet.  He sets the tactics, controls the philosophy and is the voice of the club for the fans.  I can't believe whenever a team is underperforming the British media always back the manager.  They're almost always wrong and usually the new manager always does better in the short term when the old relic dark cloud manager leaves.  It's an area we have badly wrong in England.  Managers don't get too little time, they get too much.  They have it right in Spain, Italy and Germany I think.  If you're good enough you stay, if not, go find another job and don't darken the club's door again.

Are they not just hanging on until the international break? They love the international break.

Pretty much I reckon. Pardew's days are numbered but Ashley will hang on until the last moment to sack him, but sack him he will. He just doesn't like to be second guessed by the media so now he's figuring out when he can do it and still look like he's in complete control.

This probably sums the situation up - only Ashley's pig-headedness and determination to keep wrong-footing everyone who is either in the media or a fan is keeping Pardew at SJP.

He is playing a dangerous game because if results keep going the wrong way, attendances ARE going to start dropping off and relegation will threaten if the status quo exists by late November.

If ever a man illustrated he is unfit to run a football club, Ashley has succeeded admirably at NUFC.

Are they not just hanging on until the international break? They love the international break.

Pretty much I reckon. Pardew's days are numbered but Ashley will hang on until the last moment to sack him, but sack him he will. He just doesn't like to be second guessed by the media so now he's figuring out when he can do it and still look like he's in complete control.

This probably sums the situation up - only Ashley's pig-headedness and determination to keep wrong-footing everyone who is either in the media or a fan is keeping Pardew at SJP.

He is playing a dangerous game because if results keep going the wrong way, attendances ARE going to start dropping off and relegation will threaten if the status quo exists by late November.

If ever a man illustrated he is unfit to run a football club, Ashley has succeeded admirably at NUFC.

Ashley absolutely hates not being able to dictate how long his lickspittle of a manager stays on here but the truth is it's out of his hands. No matter how much he wants to keep Pardew results will force him to act, although it will probably be later rather than sooner. But Pardew is incapable of winning games without a player who can produce something from nothing so either he gets sacked or we go down.

The thing that annoys me the most is that something is missing from the equation in this whole process. Are Ashley and Pardew having a Mexican standoff money-wise? Is Ashley just going to stick by him no matter what? We've seen before that Ashley is willing to spend money to avoid relegation so any conspiracies on that matter can be written off. Has Pardew earned top marks from the Steven Kean School of Endurance? Why does he cling on even if the pressure really is destroying him, is it money or is it ego?

And why on earth are seemingly all ex-players in the media standing by him? It's not like he's a likeable man.

I'm just completely perplexed and I honestly have no clue where to begin when explaining this situation with people who are not very familiar with NUFC-related affairs.

Some time in the future Pardew is going to be at a London club and I'll laugh as the media absolutely tear into him for being an awful manager.  It'll be funny how little backing he has then and how short of a time he gets.  It sickens me that he gets talked about like some top professional.  He's got an awful record everywhere he's been.  The only reason I can see for him being backed is that a lot of people don't want to admit that basically all British managers are terrible and we have very few even capable of being competent.  If he was foreign they'd have been wanting his head on a platter after the near relegation season.

I'm honestly struggling to think of one positive thing about this club at the moment.

Keeping Pardew is like stepping in dog muck, but rather than cleaning your shoe, you just keeping on walking in those shoes even though everyone else can smell how bad it is.

Pardew's side have 19 points from 26 matches since Boxing Day, it's just criminal, how he is still in a job is beyond me.

That stat is only getting worse, that's the laughable thing.  How anyone can have sympathy for him and say he should keep his job is beyond my comprehension.  Would anyone on here expect to do so badly in their equivalent job and still be employed?  The man is a millionaire, it's not like he's getting sent to the dole queue and he'll be compensated far beyond what he ever deserves.  He should never have had this job in the first place.  I'm sick of this club being run like some dinosaur rehab program.

I'm honestly getting to the point where I'll have to be done with Football till he leaves and possibly Ashley as well.  I love the sport, but it's only really fun when you have a team involved and they're competitive in some way.  We don't even try to compete and that's shameful.  Last night was a waste of life, as have been the vast majority of games with Pardew in charge.  Between him and Hodgson, it has been years now since I have enjoyed a game involving a team I support.

That reporter who ambushed Ashley on his night oot then reporting the convo, was probably the worst thing that could have happened.

Had it been kept quiet, then he may have wielded the axe.

However, Ashley being as stubborn as he is, he wont want to be seen to do what is predicted.

The Allardyce and Hughton sackings both came pretty out of the blue, so he'll probably do it if Pardew manages to scrape a win or two.