Crystal Palace manager

Mick

His shitness levels were mildly exaggerated at times and we were too eager to dismiss the constraints he worked within.

Having said that, we should be thankful he's nowhere near our club and the real disappointment is that are owner remains an arse and we have a bricklayer in the dugout.

Guest Gino14

It's all very rinse and repeat with Pardew.  He was never really liked here, because of his awful general persona and the way he seamed to covet and sneak into the job.  If he was someone else he'd have been well liked after his fifth place, but everyone would have still seen through him pretty quickly, because he's just not very good.  At Palace he's liked as a person and manager, so this good run is being very well received.  It doesn't change the fact that his pattern is to start off reasonably well and then sink like a great big rock thrown in a river.  Inevitably when his 'management' sets in things will decline.  He hasn't suddenly become Mourinho and it really will show once his control of the Palace team really starts to take hold.  He's still benefiting greatly from the work Pulis put in, but that won't last forever.

I will say, I don't think anything would make me laugh more than him getting the England job.  He's just awful and his charlatan ways would really be on display for the whole world to see then.  He'd make Hodgson look like Guardiola by comparison.

Would absolutely love it! when uncle Roy stops being England manager and when Pardew (who is the best thing even ahead of sliced bread after all) will take over.

Wonder how many would keep saying "But, but, but fifth place!" as he has the team lump long balls on Sterling against San Marino.

His shitness levels were mildly exaggerated at times and we were too eager to dismiss the constraints he worked within.

i don't agree, i've never seen a manager pro-actively go out and make decisions that cost himself points and wins so often in all my years watching football...from team selections to starting games well, getting in front then trying to hang on for 45 minutes time and time again :lol:

the constraints were a thing, but then so was him being unable to work with the quality players he did have because they weren't the right type for him and didn't run about enough

inflexible, clueless fucking wanker, who will get found out (again) soon enough

Guest YonderStar

Warnock won 3 games from 20, Pardew has won 9 from 12 which does make the Pardew haters look a bit daft.

However, no doubt "second season syndrome" will strike him again like it has at every other club he's managed, he will be secretly loving being above us though, the cockney cant  :shifty:

How does it make anyone look daft though? 9 in 12 for Palace doesn't re-write his final 2 1/2 years here, where he managed to cement himself as possibly the worst manager we've had in the Premiership-era.

He's currently doing well, he went through similar periods for us, and if anyone wants to point-score whenever this happens then that's their prerogative ('cyber tears for another win'), but it doesn't change the fact that on the whole he was absolutely s**** at Newcastle and showed no signs of ever changing.

The Pardew haters look a bit silly because they wanted him out so badly and to be replaced by WHO exactly? Unless Ashley suddenly decides to show ambition in the summer (of which there is more chance of me being the next pope) and employs a top manager we will end up with someone just as bad as Pardew or even worse (Carver). I cannot see any decent manager wanting to work under the clubs restrictions of not competing for cups or finishing top six, what's the f***ing point?

Pardew has been chased away from here by the fans, called a useless c*** , a muppet, tactically inept, you name it he's been called it, yet has gone to another club and done brilliantly to drag them out of the relegation s*** and past the magic 40pts mark in 12 games, as I said before second season syndrome will return to boot him in the face again, but for the time being he is proving a lot of you wrong, and leaving a lot of fans with eggy faces.

This just shows a lack of understanding as to the full reasons why he needed to go (see Wullie's post).

As for being 'proven wrong' in the moment and being left with egg on everyone's face, this is exactly what I'm on about with point-scoring, that's all it is, it happened multiple times during his reign at St James' Park and it'll continue to happen whenever he hits form at Palace, or wherever he ends up.

No I think there is more a lack of understanding amongst some of our fans that with Ashley calling the shots a manager of Pardews ilk is the best we can realistically hope for, whoever takes the job will need to be just as complicit as Pardew was, as much of a puppet as Pardew was, If you breakdown Charnleys job description of the head coach role a few months back he was effectively saying they are looking for an unambitious yes man who keeps his nose out of the clubs affairs and takes all the flak for bad results even though most of the time they are caused by injuries and suspensions because we have a paper thin squad which is Ashleys fault, but no criticism of either Ashley or Charnley will be tolerated.

My point is whoever replaces Pardew will be hated by us because they will be just as average, and have nothing untoward said about Mike, they will blame anyone and everyone and everything for bad results except the regime and themselves, While Ashley is here our managers will be same shit, different face. Everyone stay away from the Spurs match let's give this boycott plan a go, a total boycott of the last few home games this season and into next season is the only realistic chance we have of bringing about change, unless anyone has any better ideas?

Having said that, we should be thankful he's nowhere near our club and the real disappointment is that are owner remains an arse and we have a bricklayer in the dugout.

These 'constraints' work both ways though. If Pardew had been - god forbid - given full control over transfers, then there would have been no chance of seeing the likes of Cabaye, Cisse, Sissoko or Debuchy in a black and white shirt. The squad Pardew had at his disposal at the beginning of last season was arguably one of the strongest of recent years; to collapse in the manner that we did after Xmas was inexplicable.

:lol: just watched motd. Every single goal was a massive hoof up the pitch. I'm just glad palace aren't actually playing like Brazil, given its not something I believe Alan pardews is capable of instilling...

Anyway, it also makes me wonder why we never looked like scoring in a decade against Sunderland. Literally all palace did was lump it beyond john o'shea and watch his patented treacle run. So easy yet so beyond JC.

Pardew failed here primarily because the club were signing talented technical footballers from the continent for him - the type of player he doesn't want, appreciate, trust, or know how to use. The lack of investment in terms of total spend, or the timing of players sold/brought in, has far less to do with Pardew's failings and miserable records and more to do with his inability to adapt to having a different type of player to manager than what he's used to. By the end of his tenure here he had driven out practically all of the talented footballers, having misused them or benched them with no justification, or the few he did well with were held back by his tactics (doing well in spite of the limitations he brought to the team). Every one of these players couldn't wait to get away from Pardew and his horrendous approach to games, make no mistake about that, and we're now suffering for having Pardew here as we have the remains of a decent squad filled which is now filled with mediocre players who shouldn't be anywhere near a Premiership first team.

When we finished 5th under Pardew, we did so because at a time when results and performances were starting to dip Pardew stumbled onto a formation and lineup that "clicked" and had our best players playing in their best positions. By the end of that season he switched away from that formation/lineup for no good reason and then never went back to it, not once, out of pure pride/arrogance. His cockiness the following season as the Manager of the Year award got to his head resulted in the team playing "his way", and we ended up with the same team that finished 5th nearly getting relegated by playing some of the most ugly, cowardly, negative hoofball I've ever witnessed an NUFC team play.

Pardew is, imo, the person ultimately responsible for Mike Ashley's policy of wanting to be mid table and no higher. I think the original intention was to finish mid table as a minimum - now it's mid table and no higher, and that's a seemingly subtle but actually massive difference. In some ways I can understand not bothering about the cups, as they're firmly second tier competitions and getting into the CL is far more important to the growth of the club than winning the FA Cup (even if a trophy is what most of our fans want). But not wanting to finish as high as possible is insanity (in addition to not bothering with the cups) - and I don't think Mike Ashley ever started out with that intention. When we finished 5th the club seemed to be delighted with both the high finish and the European qualification, even releasing a statement iirc saying so and rewarding Pardew with an 8 year contract - if Ashley had already decided that Europe was bad, we'd have thrown a number of games and rested/benched key players to avoid qualification. We didn't because Mike Ashley, who knows little about football, had no policy about it yet. Fast forward 12 months and the club slowly transitioned from "yay we're in Europe" to "f***ing Europe, it's a curse" - why? Because that's what Pardew sold to anyone and every who would listen, including no doubt an irate Ashley who would not have been happy at the team going from 5th to near relegation in successive seasons. Pardew, being a pretty decent spin doctor and looking to save his own skin, is the one who used the challenges associated with continental football as an excuse for awful form/performances domestically (which were in turn down to his hoofball instructions and stubborn refusal to pick the best team in the best formation with the best players in their best position). He's the one who kept on bemoaning the additional games and the affect it had on domestic form (even if he was lying about players being tired given that we often played the B team in the league format of the games). He's the one who kept referring to stats about teams in Europe don't do well in domestic competitions.

As much as I hate Ashley, I hate Pardew more. I feel as though Ashley, as disgusting a human being as he is, would not logically have been dead set against European qualification give the considerable additional income it generates (especially the CL), and the fact that it'd mean more international coverage for Craps Direct. He was at a crossroad, and Pardew made sure Ashley went down a path of misinformation that now ensures we never qualify for Europe as long as he owns the club. That is Pardew's legacy at NUFC.

:lol: just watched motd. Every single goal was a massive hoof up the pitch. I'm just glad palace aren't actually playing like Brazil, given its not something I believe Alan pardews is capable of instilling...

Anyway, it also makes me wonder why we never looked like scoring in a decade against Sunderland. Literally all palace did was lump it beyond john o'shea and watch his patented treacle run. So easy yet so beyond JC.

:lol: Aye. Said the same yesterday having watched it in its entirety. One wasn't even an intentional hoof, just a clearance.

Obviously glossed over by everyone because it worked, but a half-decent back four would've dealt with it all day.

Brazil, man. What a crumb.

It was strange yesterday as Palace were really aggressive second half. They played direct with two widemen and then Murray and Bolasie up top in a fairly simple big man-little man combo. We played a slightly more sophisticated version of it under Bobby but it can be really effective when done right.

Unfortunately Pardew never attempted to play anything like that with us.

So by this Palace logic, the six wins in a row Pardew won with us this season prove he's a good manager, but those being just about the sum of our wins in the whole of 2014 doesn't prove anything.

Okay.