Andy Cole

Paully

On 25/04/2024 at 00:41, The College Dropout said:

If you take away penalties - Cole is 19 goals behind Alan Shearer.

It changes people's perspective of him massively. Even if he was crap at pens and scored 50% his best Man U seasons go from 18, 19 to like 21, 22 and he's way closer to Shearer overall.

image.thumb.png.02dcaf9e07557e11ec6b8dc59ddcc873.png

It changes people’s perspective if you disallow the First Division goals Shearer scored before 1992.  And penalties last time I checked count.  

Shearer is the fourth highest scoring player in top flight history.  Cole is joint thirty-seventh.  They’re not close

On 24/04/2024 at 15:41, The College Dropout said:

If you take away penalties - Cole is 19 goals behind Alan Shearer.

It changes people's perspective of him massively. Even if he was crap at pens and scored 50% his best Man U seasons go from 18, 19 to like 21, 22 and he's way closer to Shearer overall.

image.thumb.png.02dcaf9e07557e11ec6b8dc59ddcc873.png

My perspective is he scored less goals in his career and was nowhere near as a good a player as Shearer.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, very different telling of the story about when he pissed off for 3 days. You would think it's easy to know whose version is true considering KK's version includes all of the players and coaching staff being there during training. 

Didn’t like his KK meltdown comment last night. Very disrespectful and also fuel to an already fake narrative.

He comes across as rather bitter that Keegan sold him , I know he won loads at Man United so he shouldn't really care but he never says a good word about us and dosnt seem to like us much at all.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

He comes across as rather bitter that Keegan sold him , I know he won loads at Man United so he shouldn't really care but he never says a good word about us and dosnt seem to like us much at all.

Didn't he want to leave anyway?

I was too young and not in to football enough so my knowledge is entirely second hand so happy for someone to tell me I'm wrong. But from what I've read and soundbites I've heard he strikes me as someone who wants to have his cake and eat it. Uncomfortable with the adulation from our fans at the time so was happy to jump at the Man U opportunity. But now he looks back, realises he was just a cog in a machine at Man U and regrets it as he just slips in to being another good player in the history books. 

Edited by wormy

Think after last night I've made up my mind that he's a bit of a cunt. 

If sky only offered a bit balance and someone from the toon camp could have said 'well to be honest Andy you were behaving like a twat and if you were a manager right now you'd probably understand his problem with sulky moody non personality like yourself' 

Bumped into him a few times when the club were training at Maiden Castle (once coming out of the shower!). Chatted on a couple of occasions, not exactly friendly but was on nodding terms. Saw him at Northenden Golf Club recently, could have joined the company he was in, as knew one of the lads. Found myself totally blanking him. You just don’t diss King Kev. 

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Bumped into him a few times when the club were training at Maiden Castle (once coming out of the shower!). Chatted on a couple of occasions, not exactly friendly but was on nodding terms. Saw him at Northenden Golf Club recently, could have joined the company he was in, as knew one of the lads. Found myself totally blanking him. You just don’t diss King Kev. 

He seems a bit robotic, as if he needs a days charge just to smile or say hello. 

6 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

id been in them same showers with the keegan squad, used to work in the Physics department and play 5 a side at maiden castle on a lunchtime, keegan often used to watch us play. 

12 minutes ago, wormy said:

Didn't he want to leave anyway?

I was too young and not in to football enough so my knowledge is entirely second hand so happy for someone to tell me I'm wrong. But from what I've read and soundbites I've heard he strikes me as someone who wants to have his cake and eat it. Uncomfortable with the adulation from our fans at the time so was happy to jump at the Man U opportunity. But now he looks back, realises he was just a cog in a machine at Man U and regrets it as he just slips in to being another good player in the history books. 

I know at the time KK took training very seriously and cole didn't, he could never be arsed and looked like he wanted to be anywhere but the training pitch. 

KK always admired the professionalism of venison, Pedro, bracewell and used to tell the young players that fucked about to follow their example, Steve Watson, Robbie Elliott and lee Clark (eventually) did, but cole wouldn't and didn't want to communicate at all.

Very different personalities 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Didn’t like his KK meltdown comment last night. Very disrespectful and also fuel to an already fake narrative.

Like Keane, I don't think positivity is his thing. 2 men, all the trophies in the world but no friends and their legacy is worth nowt compared to a Shearer 

17 minutes ago, Ed210 said:

id been in them same showers with the keegan squad, used to work in the Physics department and play 5 a side at maiden castle on a lunchtime, keegan often used to watch us play. 

Me too! Not the physics bit! 

On 25/04/2024 at 21:43, TheBrownBottle said:

It changes people’s perspective if you disallow the First Division goals Shearer scored before 1992.  And penalties last time I checked count.  

Shearer is the fourth highest scoring player in top flight history.  Cole is joint thirty-seventh.  They’re not close

Always surprises me how high Tony Cottee is on the all time list (17th). Post war, only Greaves, Shearer, Lofthouse, Rush and David Herd are above him. Although Harry Kane is one goal behind him.

On 25/04/2024 at 21:43, TheBrownBottle said:

Penalties do count but it doesn't change my point.

Shearer scored 19 goals in the First Division. He'll have max 30 more goals in open play than Cole or whatever it is.

Players scoring 20+ goals in a league from open play is pretty rare.

His transfer came totally out of the blue, there was rumor's at the time that he was a proper huffy cunt but there was never any indication he wanted to leave, I still to this day think Ferdinand was the better player. 

Keegan sold Cole because he knew he'd peaked and wasn't training well.

And gutted though I was when Cole left, Keegan was right.

I watched that overlap pod. I found the whole footballing discussion really engaging but yes Andy Cole comes across as someone who gets huffy quickly.

Even his son didn't seem to like him. He's just comes across, cold, impersonal and hard to talk to.

The bloke was an absolute goal machine like. 

Posted (edited)

Great goal scorer for us, but the same bloke who was worshipped in his time here, was quick to be singing an anti Newcastle/Keegan song at the end of a cup final. Typical Sky bias also having 3 ex Man U players reviewing the game, whilst trying to justify Cole as the Newcastle representative; even though he played nearly three times more games for the manc cunts.

Edited by et tu brute

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Penalties do count but it doesn't change my point.

Shearer scored 19 goals in the First Division. He'll have max 30 more goals in open play than Cole or whatever it is.

Players scoring 20+ goals in a league from open play is pretty rare.

Take a look at who was supplying Cole, then who was supplying Shearer.  Not even remotely close goal scoring ability-wise.