Ched Evans - Not Guilty

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've not got an opinion either way really, but there will be hell on over this verdict. If it's true about her previous sexual history being taken into account - why wasn't his?

It's going to be large. It fits perfectly into the current story about consent classes in Uni's, and the narrative about rape culture. People will be hanging their agenda's all over this case.

I hope that everyone on here that said he was definitely guilty based entirely on him being found guilty will now say that he's definitely innocent based entirely on him being found not guilty.

:thup:

EDIT: as you've mentioned in your other post it was so frustrating debating it, especially in here

"x, y & z are surely massive reasons to question the verdict no?"

"but he's been found guilty, he's guilty"

"aye, but-"

"GUILTY"

I've not got an opinion either way really, but there will be hell on over this verdict. If it's true about her previous sexual history being taken into account - why wasn't his?

It's going to be large. It fits perfectly into the current story about consent classes in Uni's, and the narrative about rape culture. People will be hanging their agenda's all over this case.

And more calls for compulsory sex education. Not that I'm against sexual education, or that it isn't compulsory (if you are going to have sex, a bit of knowledge is definitely compulsory). I'm just not too keen on it being compulsory that people like Michael Gove should tell my children what sex is all about.

Not that I've got any kids, like.

Sounds like the thing that swung it was the defence being allowed to submit evidence of the victim's sexual history, including evidence being given in court by her previous partners. I'd be fascinated to know what the gist of that evidence was and why it was allowed in. Seems like a bit of a dangerous precedent to me.

"When I dated her.  She used to get really horny after going for a kebab and was up for all sorts."

Not Guilty.

Twitter :anguish:

'When is the girl who accused Ched Evans of rape going on trial then?!?! Silly girl!'

'lol, doesn't matter about the verdict, the facts or anything else. Feminist idiots will always say #IBelieveHer . I believe Ched Evans.'

'Said It From The Off Ched Evans Not Guilty, The LIAR Should Now Be Jailed And Her Life Ruined. End Of Story.'

Not surprising really.

They'll be the same lot that claimed Johnson's victim 'knew what she was doing'

Section 41 of the Youth Justice and Criminal Evidence Act 1999 protects complainants in proceedings involving sexual offences by restricting evidence or questions about their previous sexual history, subject to exceptions.

Section 41 provides a structured approach to the application of judicial discretion and sets out clearly when evidence of previous sexual history can be admitted in rape cases. In essence courts may only give leave if:

The evidence or questions rebut evidence led by the prosecution or

The evidence or questions relate to a relevant issue at trial and that issue is not one of consent.

If the issue is one of consent, the behaviour to which they relate is either alleged to have taken place at or about the same time as the alleged offence or is so similar to the complainant's behaviour at that time that it cannot reasonably be explained as coincidence.

The court must also be satisfied that to refuse leave would result in the jury or the court reaching an unsafe conclusion on a relevant issue of trial. The court will also refuse permission if it considers that the main aim of evidence claimed to relate to a relevant issue is simply to undermine the complainant's reliability.

So it sounds like either the prosecution led with some evidence about how she didn't normally do this type of thing and there was evidence that she did.

Or

There was something that was so similar in terms of behaviour that she was able to be cross examined about it.

If you want an indication of the restrictive way s.41 can be applied.

I have seen cases where people have not been able to rely on the fact the person they are accused of raping had sex with 2 different people  before reporting it to the police. One incident the evening after the night of the allegation and the other the day after with her ex-boyfriends brother.

It can be an incredibly difficult hurdle to get around as parliament clearly intended that such issues ordinarily should not go before a jury.

A woman should have as many sexual partners as she wishes and should have no bearing upon a rape case.  I fear Ched's career will not recover.

It's not easy rebuilding a life after that kind of thing. But I reckon some club will take him on and help him out. footballs like that.

A woman should have as many sexual partners as she wishes and should have no bearing upon a rape case.  I fear Ched's career will not recover.

It's not easy rebuilding a life after that kind of thing. But I reckon some club will take him on and help him out. footballs like that.

You do know he plays for Chesterfield don't you?

Isn't he playing now?

I haven't read anything today other than what I'm seeing on here, but if it's a fairly regular occurrence that she's meeting people and fucking them on a night out then it obviously looks better for Evans.

Not saying there's anything wrong with her like, she can do what she wants.