Mental health in football

ponsaelius

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40480040

Everton winger Aaron Lennon is among the players to return to the Premier League club for pre-season preparations.

The 30-year-old was detained by police in May under the Mental Health Act over concerns for his welfare.

He was taken to hospital "for assessment" but was expected to make a full recovery in the short term.

:thup:

• 4 weeks later...

Bless Zanetti and Córdoba for trying and for understanding. I hope Adriano is still at peace.

Mental health is scary shit when it creeps up on you and bites you in the ass. I know what stuff like bereavement and divorce can do to a man and it's not pretty and it's also not shameful to admit it's fucking hard.

I remember him going from one of the best talents around to just struggling and never being the same. Up until now I just put it down to another young player never making that step up, makes you wonder how many others out there have went through similar and are just regarded as a talent that never came through.

HBA comes across like someone who might be depressed - possibly one factor to it is his loveless relationship with his father.

Keegan is someone else that also strikes me like he's or been through depression - he rarely laughs, only smiles.  :sad:

Anyway, it's nothing more than observations.

• 1 month later...
Guest firetotheworks

He recently got married to the sister of one of my best mates and he spoke beautifully at his wedding just a couple of months ago. It's horrible seeing them in pain over all this like, it really doesn't sound good.

• 1 month later...