Rémi Garde and the case of the missing art galleries

Nobody

Every single time during Ashley's reign that we've had a chance to do something that might push us on and improve us as a football club we've taken the s*** option.

That's true enough.

Seems La Parisien is also running with this story. May have legs. Fits the bill - got ASSE up to 4th spending virtually nowt.

I'm always sketchy of French managers. Wenger aside the majority are defensive.

Garcia is very attacking as well What is wrong with playing reactive football, anyway? When done well and not implemented by a fearful incompetent, it is probably the easiest way for a club of our financial strata to succeed in this league. The recent trends in international football have also seen successful unfancied teams playing compact counter-attacking ball.

Every single time during Ashley's reign that we've had a chance to do something that might push us on and improve us as a football club we've taken the s*** option.

That's true enough.

Seems La Parisien is also running with this story. May have legs. Fits the bill - got ASSE up to 4th spending virtually nowt.

Yes but you need to remember that everyone, the fans, the press, pundits etc are looking at this from a sporting point of view.  It makes sense from that vantage point.  The people running the club, however, are looking at things from a different perspective.

Every single time during Ashley's reign that we've had a chance to do something that might push us on and improve us as a football club we've taken the shit option. 

We're the Sisyphus of the footballing world.

Not sure if that metaphor works, but it sounded good in my head.

Garcia is very attacking as well What is wrong with playing reactive football, anyway? When done well and not implemented by a fearful incompetent, it is probably the easiest way for a club of our financial strata to succeed in this league. The recent trends in international football have also seen successful unfancied teams playing compact counter-attacking ball.

The forums been saying for years how we just want some decent attacking football.

Being reactive is inherently fearful.

I don't think being reactive is the natural way for a NUFC side to play. We have a big stadium and a big pitch. We are an isolated club with a lot of support. We need to be "up and at them" to get the blood flowing through the veins. Our most successful sides in living memory where exactly that. It's our identity. Look at our stadium, pitch and fans. Tight and compact counter-attacking isn't going to work. The crowd gets edgy quickly.

And we aren't an unfancied team ffs. Even now, of the 19 other teams in the division. We should EXPECT to get a draw or win against at least 13 of the teams at SJP. We should get a minimum of 30-35 points at SJP every season.

Guest antz1uk

On Galtier, having read a bit about him he does seem to compare a little like Pardew, however he has 2 redeeming features straight away

• He's not pardew
  • He's not Carver

Ok, on that note, i'll take him

Anyway from what I have read about Galtier yes he tends to play reactive football. But here in lies the difference, his teams are actually solid and hard to break down.

Pardew would be defensive and concede 3+ a game :lol: Not only was Pardew clueless in an attacking sense but he also had no clue how to be organised defensively.

At least Fat Sam and Pulis have an idea how to set up a team, Pardew can't even do that.

Only Lyon and Monaco have conceded fewer in Ligue 1. 9th in goals scored though.

At this point, I'd take anyone who could introduce some solidity into the side. I'd much rather have a "boring" (because properly-executed counter-attacking football is anything but boring) team that actually looks like it deserves to play in this league over the utterly pathetic nonsense we saw against City.

The forums been saying for years how we just want some decent attacking football.

Being reactive is inherently fearful.

I don't think being reactive is the natural way for a NUFC side to play. We have a big stadium and a big pitch. We are an isolated club with a lot of support. We need to be "up and at them" to get the blood flowing through the veins. Our most successful sides in living memory where exactly that. It's our identity. Look at our stadium, pitch and fans. Tight and compact counter-attacking isn't going to work. The crowd gets edgy quickly.

And we aren't an unfancied team ffs. Even now, of the 19 other teams in the division. We should EXPECT to get a draw or win against at least 13 of the teams at SJP. We should get a minimum of 30-35 points at SJP every season.

The main determinant of success in football is money, and as things stand, there are several other teams willing to spend significantly more. As long as this is the case, NUFC will be a team that is unfancied to finish in the upper echelon of the league. I understand your points about the history of the club's style, but I don't believe sentiment is as important as you think. The team has finished higher than 7th one time in the ten years since SBR was sacked. I believe the important thing is success and competitiveness.

I think people are criticising Galtier too harshly here. When he took over at ASSE, they were in the relegation places, and he has built the team up very well. His side's attacking play has not been very good this season, but this is mostly because they lack quality in the attacking third. They were a greater attacking force with better players at the club. Players like Gradel, Mollo, Erdinc, Ricky van Wolf, etc, are just not very good and there is not a real creative force in midfield, either. This is a club that sells big players every season and have lost the likes of Aubameyang, Payet, Matuidi, Zouma, etc in recent years. He has done well with what he is given, frankly.