Newcastle 1-2 Arsenal - 21/3/15 Match Thread - Post match reaction from p. 16

Mike

We all know it's irrelevant, it's just nice to enjoy some football. That's how low we've sunk.

Cabella and Perez are lovely to watch. Particularly pleased for the former, Ando and Lowes were slating him before the game saying he's only had one good half all season and he cost £12m. I know it was undisclosed but wasn't the reported fee €10m?

Can't get too happy with the 'plucky' 2nd half, I've had enough of 'spirited defeats' and 'oh well there's always next week'.

This was a bit different IMO, we had them on the ropes for 45 minutes and played some canny stuff.  Aye it's still clearly nowt to shout about in reality but was nice to see.  Most games are a non-event if they're not an absolute humiliation and it's been that way for years.

Can't get too happy with the 'plucky' 2nd half, I've had enough of 'spirited defeats' and 'oh well there's always next week'.

This was a bit different IMO, we had them on the ropes for 45 minutes and played some canny stuff.  Aye it's still clearly nowt to shout about in reality but was nice to see.  Most games are a non-event if they're not an absolute humiliation and it's been that way for years.

:thup:

First time I've felt really animated by one of our games for a while, good to see us keeping up pressure for a sustained period of time.

Imagine forcing that kind of pressure on the opposition from the kick off though...I know Arsenal were hesitant as they were trying to protect the lead but we're capable of doing it.

Yet the majority of the time we leave Perez up front on his own trying to win headers against 6'4+ CB's

Start like that against Sunderland an we would smash them by 4 or 5 goals. Zero chance of that though.

Arsenal's performance in that second half was one of the most disgraceful things I've ever seen on a football pitch. They were second to absolutely everything, running around like they had lead weights taped to each limb. If that was a League Two game or lower I'd be utterly convinced it'd been fixed.

Guest Gino14

The reason we don't play like we did in the second half is the psychology. We had to go for something because we so awful in the first half and they thought the game was already won.

If we tried to do that from the off when Arsenal were actually interested, we may have been better, but it wouldn't have been like it was in the second half. It'd still be nice if we looked like an actual professional outfit from kick off though and not just like some headless chickens running around aimlessly because they've been told they have to be on the pitch for 90 minutes.

Arsenal's performance in that second half was one of the most disgraceful things I've ever seen on a football pitch. They were second to absolutely everything, running around like they had lead weights taped to each limb. If that was a League Two game or lower I'd be utterly convinced it'd been fixed.

Arsenall finishing with anything short of a 3 goal victory today is worthy of a match-fixing inquiry tbh :lol:

So often I thought Sammy/cabella/Perez seemed to have a Good few touches, look forward and there was just nothing there for them, you could put this down to Cisse being out but it's more than that, there's a lack of willingness to attack in numbers at this club, even at corners there was a few times arsenal had every man back in their own box (as unfortunatly seems to be the norm these days) and we still had 4 players standing outside far enough back to be ready to defend. Sissoko seemed to be the only player willing to gamble on a run inside the box, even then only rarely. Bit rediculous how often the person in our front three with the ball is the furthest player forward.

Also what is the point in Gouffran, barely even noticed he was playing.

Caught the last 25mins of the first half and it was some of the most inept football I've seen from us in ages. They scored two easy goals and could have five with ease. It was genuinely laughable.

Apparently we did alright in the second half. Another defeat.

We all know it's irrelevant, it's just nice to enjoy some football. That's how low we've sunk.

Cabella and Perez are lovely to watch. Particularly pleased for the former, Ando and Lowes were slating him before the game saying he's only had one good half all season and he cost £12m. I know it was undisclosed but wasn't the reported fee €10m?

£5.2m - whatever that was in euro at the time.

Personally, I thought the tactic of giving Giroud the freedom of Newcastle in the first half was one Sir Bobby would have been proud of

Even when Williamson literally had a hold of him for the second, still scored.

Neither Obertan or Riviere were even warming up as subs today, wonder what's gone on there. Jonas and the three kids were out pretty much all the first half, although it just led to annoyance as the guy behind me kept calling Kemen Aarons

Neither Obertan or Riviere were even warming up as subs today, wonder what's gone on there. Jonas and the three kids were out pretty much all the first half, although it just led to annoyance as the guy behind me kept calling Kemen Aarons

Yeah I thought it was weird Riviere and Obertan didn't warm up at all. Kemen's hair is shocking

We got NOTHING, at home to Arsenal.

How many points did THEY get?

We got NOTHING at home to Arsenal.

How "pathetic" are we?

I'm sure there are plenty of 'younger' supporters who think this is "fine" . . .

It is  P A T H E T I C .

Of all games to get so angry about :lol:

We were alright up to the first goal, we were embarrassing for the next 25 minutes. Arsenal were a bit leggy and we did fuck all about it. Wenger brought on 2 pairs of fresh legs into his midfield after 60 minures or so as he could see the potential for trouble. Any half competent team wouldn't have lost to Arsenal today.

The last 25 minutes of the first half summed up our entire time under Carver - just utter clueless.

The second half is probably the best football we have played in a long time and to be fair it was the attacking football everybody craves for. It's just a shame with Cisse out we have a real problem of end product.

Cabella/Perez/Ameobi were excellent today.

Cabella and Ameobi both make frustrating decisions at times (Ameobi especially) but they all looked good today.

Perez is a real good player, can't wait for us sell him for a profit next January.

Defensively we looked like an absolute mess, Williamson just should not be attached to any Premier League club.

Arsenal looked like they could have scored any time they crossed the half way line.

Genuinely believe that if Carver gets the job full time we will be in real, real trouble - we've won 2 games out of 12 he has taken charge of (1 win against a shocking Hull team, and 1 win against an equally shocking Everton team).

His substitutions are absolutely baffling at times; the Burnley 2-2 game when he took Riviere off for Armstrong then hoofed long balls up to Armstrong.

I know Manu's scoring record for us is atrocious/non-existent but when you are chasing a game so desperately as we were today, why not bring Riviere on? Why bring on a youth product who does not look ready at all with 3 minutes to go - at least Manu would hold the ball up well for others to run onto.

As for Carver's tactics, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't use them - it looks like the team just go out "and see what happens".

Obviously we know Ashley doesn't give a toss, but surely SURELY we have to employ a competent manager in the summer.

Tbf if you are looking for a goal Rivière is the last player you should be thinking of bringing on as he offers zero attacking threat and has no goalscoring instinct whatsoever.

As I said, the hold up play for others (Perez) to run onto would be more of the idea.

Armstrong offers absolutely nothing in my opinion; pushed off the ball like a toddler, can't hold it up, can't run with it, never in the box to shoot...