FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

There's no doubt as the tournament expanded from 16 to 24 and then 32 teams it was justified. Not only did you have Balkanisation of Eastern Europe which created a much deeper European pool of quality teams but the growth and professionalization of the sport elsewhere also drastically improved the depth of quality. An example I always note is how Turkey went from a side that lost to England 8-0 on two separate occasions in the late 80s to making the semi final of a World Cup in 2002. 

However I really don't like the idea of now jumping straight from 32 to 48 teams. 16 extra teams is a huge leap and will IMO significantly dilute the overall quality - before you even talk about the issues with the format. Even acknowledging the depth of global football small-medium sized countries will always have peaks and troughs in generations (e.g. where are Bulgaria and Romania these days?). That is what qualifying is there for - to cut out sides that don't quite have it at that point in time.

Japan/Korea hosting the thing was obviously great for development of the sport in that region. However the real steps had already begun long before the World Cup with the development of the club game in the 90s - particularly in Japan. It's a balance obviously and you don't want a closed shop mentality that blights other sports but equally developing countries should have to work towards the world stage - not be handed it on a plate. I really am not sure what the likes of Vietnam, Oman, UAE would add to a World Cup at this point.

it’s probably to give major nations like China a better chance of qualifying. China, Indonesia and India have some of the largest populations in the world. Imagine what it would do for FIFAs bank account If they can get those populations more invested. 

More chance of me as a solo entity representing Doggerland qualifying than India albeit them getting not shit at football would be a genuinely good thing. 

You’re right thought it is all just down  income and influence for FIFA and for them to try to keep UEFA in check as ultimately everyone is a horrific greedy cunt.

On the flip side though…the World Cup :kurt:

5 hours ago, oldtype said:

This six-team qualification play-in tournament they're planning for 2026 looks absolutely mint though.

What's this? Does it mean there will be 51 teams "qualifying" but three being knocked out ahead of the tournament proper?

Also, what would be the best way to expand the WC to 40-60 teams without fucking up the format completely? 

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

What's this? Does it mean there will be 51 teams "qualifying" but three being knocked out ahead of the tournament proper?

Also, what would be the best way to expand the WC to 40-60 teams without fucking up the format completely? 

It should go 32>64 if it’s going to do owt. Make the first round a knock out and then revert to type or something. Bar the real stuff uneven/non divisible tournament formats are usually probably my biggest bugbear in football/sport. The new CL will absolutely wank when they start it too.

1 minute ago, Disco said:

It should go 32>64 if it’s going to do owt. Make the first round a knock out and then revert to type or something. Bar the real stuff uneven/non divisible tournament formats are usually probably my biggest bugbear in football/sport. The new CL will absolutely wank when they start it too.

There's a reason I put that 60 cap on there, get a bit creative ;) Play in tournaments would probably be the way to do it, could have a quite a few variations that still ends up with being just 32 teams once the tournament proper starts. 

But obviously I agree, the new CL format looks absolutely wank, as has the last couple of Euros been since it was expanded. Fucking hated how Portugal drew their way to a Euro win :anguish:

2 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Might book a holiday to Qatar. Looks canny.

Don’t. Might be the worst country I’ve ever visited. Football aside, everything is nearly shit. I’ll make a review for you all later. 

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

47 qualify and then six teams play for the final spot. It’s going to be fun.

5 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Agree with a lot of that. And also just to double down on hosts being able to grow the game in their own countries, ‘94 was the launch of MLS here in America and look where the American game has gone since then. 30ish years later and we have the single best generation of talent we’ve ever had and they’re young

Imagine Qatar in 30 years, they will be unstoppable! 

:no:

6 hours ago, Flip said:

Don’t. Might be the worst country I’ve ever visited. Football aside, everything is nearly shit. I’ll make a review for you all later. 

Whip around to send Branko to Qatar?

11 hours ago, Nobody said:

There's a reason I put that 60 cap on there, get a bit creative ;) Play in tournaments would probably be the way to do it, could have a quite a few variations that still ends up with being just 32 teams once the tournament proper starts. 

But obviously I agree, the new CL format looks absolutely wank, as has the last couple of Euros been since it was expanded. Fucking hated how Portugal drew their way to a Euro win :anguish:

You know what - I fully disagree that changing the CL is a bad idea - the group stage is really really shit as it is , it’s quite likely there will be more fun in the new format , and I’m usually one who is against change. Nout wrong with mixing things up in my opinion , the World Cup however is more of a touchy thing to change -

I don’t actually thing a 2 yearly World Cup would be a bad thing either , it’s just something which people are precious over, every 2 years it would still be fun  

13 hours ago, huss9 said:

i know but 12 groups of 4 and then your talking "best placed 3rd teams"which i hate.

Worked fine up until 1998.  Had as much last game drama, everyone still had a shot and you couldn't plan out the routes to the final (was much more open).

Either way in comparison to the new format its infinitely preferable by any standard

Just now, cubaricho said:

I really want to get to Iran. Especially after that Bourdain episode about it. 

Do it if you can! I was there a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely loved it, was one of the best holidays I've ever had. 

10 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Far more interesting places I’d rather visit in the Middle East. Dying to get to Oman someday.

Can drive/get a bus from Dubai to Muscat in a few hours if you’re ever using Emirates and need a layover. Somewhere I fancy going too, likewise Iran albeit a bit temperamental at the moment. Hospitality is supposed to be unreal.