The Coaching Staff

NUFC

I'm not sure what Cathro's role is tbh, he just sits there looking bemused during the games, doesn't show any emotion when we win or lose. I'd be worried if McClaren gets moved upstairs this guy would command any respect from the players.

thought Black was supposed to be a great motivator etc  imho being paid by the mackems too

was always a bit confused about this appointment. how's he gonna work with a load of players with English as a second or even third language. possibly just nod and grin inanely when he's spouting his shite.

Cathro seems to same type as McClaren. A "thinker" and a coach. No personality.

At least Carver could play bad cop to SBR's good cop.

Why do you think he seems to be the same type as McClaren? Based on what?

Why do you think he seems to be the same type as McClaren? Based on what?

Sky did a piece on him and Nuno when he was at Valencia. Nuno spoke about his tactical and coaching abilities. While Nuno himself has a charismatic swagger. You look at Cathro's background - all points to being a great coach first and foremost. Working with youngsters.

And you just watch him during one of our games, he sits there with a pained expression. He's trying to think his way to a solution.

That's my general opinion of SMC too. His first thought is to look at the game tactically by sitting in the stands. At the first sign of trouble, bring out the A2 paper with Cathro and think out a solution. If thats' Fergie, he's gone purple from all the shouting.

I could be wrong of course.

After a handful of games, SMc really shouldn't look the way he does after that game yesterday.

He looks like Pardew at his worst. Stressed, under pressure, confused and almost panicky already.

The fans, largely, haven't even turned on him yet.

He looks almost broken already. That, alone, is surely a sign that this is the beginning of the end for him?

It's only about 6-7 years ago this was the opinion of Hughton. You never know, on his own or with a motivator (dare I say it someone like Redknapp), it might work.

It's only about 6-7 years ago this was the opinion of Hughton. You never know, on his own or with a motivator (dare I say it someone like Redknapp), it might work.

Aye but that's what Hughton is though right? A good coach, decent manager?

You know, I wanted to say I could see how Redknapp and McClaren worked well together but I decided against it. I agree though.

A decent coach / tactician would surely by now be coaching our midfield/defence to hunt in packs and close down space as a basic organisational skill. The sheer lack of tactical awareness from our players is astonishing, they can't even get the basics right never mind put together fluid attacks

Too many of the fuckers.

1 manager, 1 assistant manager.

What the fuck do all these other cunts do??

Must be confusing and divisive for the players imo.

Not that many of our current crock of shit give a toss mind.

Most teams have this many coaches I would think. Under Pardew we had an abnormally small backroom team

I always thought there should be more coaches. The manager explains how he wants the team to play and what he would like the coaches to work on and the coaches then go and work with the players in specific areas. It makes sense (well, to me at least) that a defensive coach could pass his knowledge onto the defenders in the squad etc. This way doesn't mean that the players get mixed messages, as the manager has already explained his philosophy to the coaching staff.

Said in the McClaren thread, the impression I get is Cathro is there to work on tactics with McClaren, whereas Simpson is more of a supervisor/bib and cone man to oversee what we're meant to be doing (fuck knows what that is!) on the training ground.

I do think Black's got a difficult job, motivating a bunch of players who have signed on the promise that they'll be moved on to bigger and better if the offer is good enough. It doesn't really work like that in rugby, does it?