England: Thomas Tuchel signs 18 month contract with England from Jan 1 2025 (Official)

Nobody

From a purely Man United hating point of view this is good news. Ten Hag clings on to the job a bit longer as Tuchel isn't available anymore. Man U give him another transfer window to sign his former players for inflated fees and on inflated wages. Then Leeds dump them out of the 4th round of the FA Cup and he finally gets sacked and they bring in Southgate. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Seems a rather bizarre throwback to me from the FA. I thought we'd got past having to go foreign because our coaching pool was so poor. I think it's disappointing.

Do we reckon if Carsley didn't fuck up that Greece game so badly he'd have got the job?

Or do you think it was always the plan to get a more established high profile manager

9 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Do we reckon if Carsley didn't fuck up that Greece game so badly he'd have got the job?

Or do you think it was always the plan to get a more established high profile manager

In the press release it was mentioned that Tuchel signed the contract on the 8th, but the announcement was delayed until now so it didn't interfere with this week's games.

Seems an almost certain car crash appointment to me. How often do these high profile, short term, foreign managers work for any national team? Throw in his track record as an abrasive character and I can see another Capello situation personally.

Obviously we're limited with our coaching pool compared to other countries but I feel the one job where promotion from within the system generally works well is the international game.

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Obviously we're limited with our coaching pool compared to other countries but I feel the one job where promotion from within the system generally works well is the international game.

I guess that's the issue though,  why are we limited with our coaching pool compared to other countries?

Is it because we import a lot more managers in our top two divisions than most other countries?

20 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

18 months says “win us the World Cup”.  Then Pep takes over (in my dreams).

I think that's the logic behind this. If we don't win the world cup then it will be back to the English manager drawing board, which in my view is where the long term plan should be.

I'm not really sure I buy the idea that the likes of Pep and Klopp and Howe are the right fit for international management. 

Their success is all about imprinting their philosophy relentlessly on the training ground so I'm not sure how they're going to do that in international management when they'll only see the players for a few days every couple of months 

51 minutes ago, joeyt said:

signed the deal on 8th October apparently and the Greece game was on the 10th

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I'm not really sure I buy the idea that the likes of Pep and Klopp and Howe are the right fit for international management. 

Their success is all about imprinting their philosophy relentlessly on the training ground so I'm not sure how they're going to do that in international management when they'll only see the players for a few days every couple of months 

They’re not, except if they’re done with club management and want something with better work/life balance. Klopp would’ve been worth a go IMO, albeit maybe too big a personality for the FA. 

Hope for your sake that he'll take a hail mary approach and focus on playing to the players creative and attacking strengths rather than taking the safety first approach from Southgate. You may not get better results, but at least it'll be worth watching.

Don't have a particularly strong reaction to this either way. No issue with having a foreign coach, can see the arguments for both promoting from within and for getting in a proven tactician. Excited to see how this plays out 

Couldn’t give a fuck really. Just pleased it’s not Eddie. I actually think it’s a decent appointment in terms of a manager who has a very clear way of playing and one who tends to get quick results in the short-term but whether it works or not I don’t really care an enormous amount 

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

I guess that's the issue though,  why are we limited with our coaching pool compared to other countries?

Is it because we import a lot more managers in our top two divisions than most other countries?

Costs to do your badges here are, unsurprisingly, more expensive than elsewhere IIRC which I’m guessing doesn’t help. 

While I get the idea behind the "Managers should come from the nation they're from" rhetoric, if FIFA ever implemented such a rule, it would screw over the majority of smaller nations that may not have the structure to create International worthy managers. You know, like Ireland. 

Also when people talk about the topic, especially in this country, it comes across as nationalist/brexit as fuck, which is pure :anguish: