England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

It's just that it's the same deficiencies being repeated. That set-up was so obviously not what's going to win us a tournament. It's just annoying and concerning when there are obvious alternatives.

Why's so much being read into the last friendly before a major tournament? Obviously there's going to be a lack of cohesion and intensity.

It's not about that, it's that the team being picked and likely the one that starts the Euros should be nowhere the team that actually plays. Tonight was incredibly telling, no one really passed to each other and a lot of the players lack technical ability.

We technically have a team which could do kind of well i suppose but Hodgson actually has to pick the right group and i have zero confidence in him doing so.

A bit of an overreaction, we played reasonably well in the first half without really threatening, and then from the moment it was 11 v 10, the diamond (and game, really) was nullified. I thought the ITV pundits got it spot on actually, which is a rarity for them.

How I'd pick the team: Must start - Hart, Smalling, Cahill, Alli, Kane.

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Rose

Alli Dier Wilshere

Lallana Kane Sterling

A bit of an overreaction, we played reasonably well in the first half without really threatening, and then from the moment it was 11 v 10, the diamond (and game, really) was nullified. I thought the ITV pundits got it spot on actually, which is a rarity for them.

How I'd pick the team: Must start - Hart, Smalling, Cahill, Alli, Kane.

Hart

Alli Dier Wilshere

Lallana Kane Sterling

But we'll force someone out of position or the team to accommodate Rooney and it will cost us.

Normally I hate shoehorning players, but I don't think it would be the worst thing to do in the group stages anyway. In my side above I came close to leaving out Sterling and playing Kane wide left, with Rooney up top. Having both Lallana and Sterling (Both non goal scoring wide players) seems a bit of a wet lettuce approach.

Why's so much being read into the last friendly before a major tournament? Obviously there's going to be a lack of cohesion and intensity.

It's not about that, it's that the team being picked and likely the one that starts the Euros should be nowhere the team that actually plays. Tonight was incredibly telling, no one really passed to each other and a lot of the players lack technical ability.

We technically have a team which could do kind of well i suppose but Hodgson actually has to pick the right group and i have zero confidence in him doing so.

England managers are under a lot of pressure and I've seen in the past how that can affect their judgement eg Eriksson deciding at the last minute to pick 17 year old Walcott, who had never played a game for Arsenal. I worry that Hodgson is succumbing in a similar way.

No-one expected to see Vardy, Rooney and Kane, all in a line across the pitch, with Rooney in the centre, and the other two on the wings. Ian Wright is not my favourite pundit, but he was right in saying that there's no point in even trying it. Hodgson was probably in a panic about our defending, and we did stop the opposition from playing, but it was completely at the expense of any creativity when we had the ball.

If Sturridge is fit, he should play every second for England, imo. I honestly believe he is your best player. The defense is a weakness, tbh. Cahill can be a liability at times.

Agree with this, it's just such a huge question mark over his fitness.

For me I'd line up with a 4-3-3. Dier obviously starting in the holding role, with Wilshere (who although not great defensively, still puts himself about) and Alli just ahead.

Walker is ahead of Clyne who I feel is a bit of a nothing player in comparison - neither defensively or offensively. I'm not sure who I prefer over Rose and Bertrand to start at LB tbh.

Hart

Rose(?)          Smalling      Cahill          Walker

Dier

Wilshere                    Alli

Sturridge        Kane          Vardy

Guest chopey

Only England can win every game in qualifiying with ease and then not know their best team or formation going into the tournament

Hart

Alli Dier Wilshere

Lallana Kane Sterling

Wouldn't mind seeing that team start but I don't get the Sterling hype at all. Fair enough he produced a decent delivery last night but he constantly looks uninterested and off the pace to me.

Shame we don't have another winger who very nearly dragged his team safe from relegation almost single-handedly to chose from.

Alli behind Kane & Vardy should be the first move if we're being serious about this atall. Those 3 could be dangerous against every defence in the tournament, two of them combine well & the other has scored in every England game he's played. Rooney upfront in the two if he plays, Alli still behind for me. Same with Sturridge, up front in the two. My concern is Vardy will get woefully underused as a sub here, when I think he can impact these games more than anyone else. But we have a really strong attack in general tbf if they are played in their strongest positions.

Hart

Clyne    Cahill      Smalling      Rose

Henderson  Dier 

Sterling      Alli        Vardy

Kane   

Hart

Clyne    Cahill      Smalling      Rose

Henderson  Dier 

Sterling      Alli        Vardy

Kane   

We really need to stop with this Vardy on the wing nonsense

Hart

Clyne - Cahill - Smalling - Rose

Dier 

Sterling - Alli - Wilshere

Kane - Vardy 

is probably how I'd start. Russia are slow as fuck at the back so you want as much pace as possible at the top end of the field.

I know he's just won the league and scored loads of goals in doing so, but Vardy looks far from being an international footballer and never got a kick last night off Carvalho and was caught offside loads as well.

Wilshere is a perma crock but looked a class above everyone else on the pitch last night when he came on.