England

Yorkie

I think Eddie Howe will stay. It's a very exciting project here, he's been shown a huge amount of trust and I'm 99% sure there will be future opportunities for him to manage England. He could feasibly manage another 20-30 years at top level.

That being said, sure it'd be hard to turn down. Would be great pay and loads of time with his, presumably, young family.

25 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If you look at the headlines, the narrative is he's only got as far as he has due to easy draws and has played shite football. 

Well it's not really far off the truth tbh.

43 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Really hope Potter gets the job, reckon he would be perfect for the squad we've got. 

Harry Potter?  Will need some of his magic to win anything with the current bunch of useless twonks. 

49 minutes ago, huss9 said:

not sure about that.

maybe if you look at the headlines - but then go deeper into who we played and how we played and its different.

he might have been the most successful but definitely not the best. very fine distinction.

So who is?

It's very easy to forget how dire it was to manage and support England before Southgate came in. 

Success was not being rubbish from what I remember. 

I think there's a good chance the FA don't care enough about winning a trophy to risk getting back into the market for big-name managers and they just appoint from within instead. 

1 hour ago, huss9 said:

not sure about that.

maybe if you look at the albums - but then go deeper into who he slept with and how old they were it's different.

he might have been the most talented, but Bowie was definitely a massive nonce. very fine distinction.

Klopp would be superb but I’d be shocked if he’d agree to it.

He has the motivational skills plus a deeper tactical awareness, and an international job might suit him given he wanted a break. Could be a perfect fit 

Except I think he’ll only want the Germany job 

1 hour ago, Jaqen said:

He definitely stayed a tournament too long. 

He's basically undid a lot of his good work this tournament and will probably be remembered less fondly than he should have been really.

It wasn't even just the negative approach we genuinely looked like one of the worst coached sides in the whole thing. 

I think Bellingham saved him from this fate with his last minute equaliser. 

Had we gone out then the narrative would be very different despite the job he'd done being exactly the same. 

12 minutes ago, Wullie said:

England manager should be English imo, don't think we should go foreign again.

Staff should be the same as players. Have to be that nationality and if you could pick more than one once you choose you're locked in. 

42 minutes ago, Wullie said:

England manager should be English imo, don't think we should go foreign again.

But the Premier League has been built on foreigners, players and managers.  It’s not like other leagues where they had a Conte, Mancini, Del Bosque, etc. Our league was built on Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho and now Pep. I think we’re the exception to the rule in that respect. 

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

So who is?

its all about opinions.

for me its was SBR.

edged out of two world cups by the eventual chamipons. thought we were unlucky. if lineker had equalised i reckon we would have beaten Argentina, and just milliemetres from gazza getting the win in the semi againts germany.

after the first couple of games in each tournament he tweaked the personell and system and we played much better  - i know wilkins red, and robsons shoulder played a part in 86 but that wasnt the whole story.  some player pressure in 90 about changing formation but robson was open to it and not stubborn.

again, just imho.

If the FA are going to approach Howe it needs to happen this week, no point taking him a week or two before the season starts, I imagine he'll be tapped up first, so if they ask permission it means he wants to go 

10 minutes ago, huss9 said:

its all about opinions.

for me its was SBR.

edged out of two world cups by the eventual chamipons. thought we were unlucky. if lineker had equalised i reckon we would have beaten Argentina, and just milliemetres from gazza getting the win in the semi againts germany.

after the first couple of games in each tournament he tweaked the personell and system and we played much better  - i know wilkins red, and robsons shoulder played a part in 86 but that wasnt the whole story.  some player pressure in 90 about changing formation but robson was open to it and not stubborn.

again, just imho.

That not Euro 96 under Venables?

2 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

That not Euro 96 under Venables?

waddle hit the inside of the post and it was lineker - sorry not gazza that just couldnt get his toe on it.

Edited by huss9

7 minutes ago, Cf said:

I feel so gaslit watching the coverage about this.

Yeah he did a good job 8 years ago. For the last 4 he's been garbage.

What in particular was garbage about the 2022 World Cup? 

We scored 12 goals in the first 4 games and then ultimately a missed penalty cost us a quarter final in which we were the better side.