England

Nobody

I think this time Carsley was just a bit too bold. The team looked defensively flimsy on paper, and so it proved. It was also asking a lot to try an unusual, striker-less formation with so little time available to coach it properly.

And I know I'm a broken record (or vinyl as they say now), but Rice doesn't offer us enough at international level.

14 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

Think that could give us an Eddie Howe shaped problem.

10 minutes ago, Decky said:

Aye this result probably puts Carsley out of the frame and points the FA back in the direction of Howe. :lol:

They’d be mad not to at least put out feelers to him.  Up to Howe at that point.   Could completely see how he’d be tempted given the talent he’d have at his disposal 

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They’d be mad not to at least put out feelers to him.  Up to Howe at that point.   Could completely see how he’d be tempted given the talent he’d have at his disposal 

I'm sure it's been said plenty of times on here before but I really don't think it's the right time in Howe's career to be thinking about international football, he's too driven, too addicted to the day to day to go part time, it'd drive him mad.

24 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

I'm sure it's been said plenty of times on here before but I really don't think it's the right time in Howe's career to be thinking about international football, he's too driven, too addicted to the day to day to go part time, it'd drive him mad.

I don’t think he should (or will) either, but I’d understand the temptation 

Well that was an....... interesting experiment. The no striker was very odd in particular. A couple of times I noticed that the was almost a hexagon of empty space where a striker should have been.

I'm coming to the view that both Foden and TAA are great players but not suited to playing in this England team. The knock on effect of both of them on other players is too great and I've yet to see them do anything to suggest formations should be significantly alter to get them in a team more built around them. Tino has a great chance this year to make that RB slot his.

1 hour ago, Aiston said:

Well done Greece, best I've seen them play in fucking years :lol:

Hopefully that ends the U21 coach bullshit from the FA, get a proper coach/ manager in.

The very notion that there's some sort of 'progression plan' in place has been fucking laughable. They stumbled upon Southgate - regardless as to whether you think he was a useless bootlicker promoted above his station or a nice enough bloke who brought a degree of balance and squad harmony. They'll invariably bring in another grateful sap - Carsley or Potter - but I doubt whether any decent coach worth his salt would go near the job.

3 hours ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Well that was an....... interesting experiment. The no striker was very odd in particular. A couple of times I noticed that the was almost a hexagon of empty space where a striker should have been.

Didn't see the game but this happens when Kane is playing and he drops deep. The key is to have someone else run into that space, Son at Spurs the obvious example. Like everything else, the more flexibly and unpredictably this is done, the harder it will be to pull off but also the harder it will be to defend against.

In a KISS keep it simple stupid situation, playing a full time #9 gives your #8s and #10s an obvious target to pass it to who will be located in a predictable place. If that #9 can shoot on the turn, it will create chances of varying quality. Penalty chances too, since defenders will have to stop the turn.

7 hours ago, Mattoon said:

He's said basically this on camera himself. Don't think he'd go near it. 

7 hours ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

I'm coming to the view that both Foden and TAA are great players but not suited to playing in this England team. The knock on effect of both of them on other players is too great and I've yet to see them do anything to suggest formations should be significantly alter to get them in a team more built around them. Tino has a great chance this year to make that RB slot his.

Tino is behind at least 3 players.

It just looked like extra time in the latter stages of a cup.. where you just chuck your best players on and hope for the best.

Spain won a tournament without a striker but that was a well worked team that were all comfortable on the ball  and knew their role.

Our midfield play without a plan or a desire to pass to each other.

They certainly didn't help themselves or the manager secure their future