England

Yorkie

13 hours ago, gjohnson said:

I'm no flag worshipper or anything, but I don't understand why any designer would change the colours of a national teams flag and try to promote it as something wonderful and revolutionary. Cant imagine there's too many national FAs that would even consider it. Could you see Germany allowing pink stripes between the red, black and gold to show their LGBT tolerance, or Scotland changing their blue to slate grey to reflect their normal weather, or Ireland just displaying a pint of Guinness?

Daft idea and is clearly change just for the sake of change

This…

Not very patriotic at all but bonkers decision by whoever signed it off and would imagine most countries would have an issue with it. The price is sickening too. 

14 hours ago, Disco said:

Whoooooooo remembers the shirt with the little flags on it from a few years that people didn’t lose their tiny minds over?

image.thumb.png.8fc243c64bcd3a4bd674070b832e3f80.png

IMG_3382.thumb.jpeg.0219fb2f1d2ea501ed3709606186ccc4.jpeg

The difference is 14 years of the media and politicians stoking division, never has there been such a divide between people, somehow everything is now binary and there's no nuance to beliefs.

If this were to happen now it would probably cause the same uproar because the slightest change is seen by an attack and that goes both ways, everyone is so highly strung these days. 

People are split down the middle about this, but the truth is it was a misguided position and has just caused more anger and division over what, a ridiculously priced shirt that most of us can't afford anyway.

6 minutes ago, LFEE said:

This…

Not very patriotic at all but bonkers decision by whoever signed it off and would imagine most countries would have an issue with it. The price is sickening too. 

Think people may be in for a shock when the new Toon Adidas tops arrive in June if they think £80-90 is expensive, sadly 

14 hours ago, Likelylad said:

Similar to the Bud light situation. I just don’t really see the point from a business perspective. The amount of right wing flag shaggers who won’t buy that shirt out spite. Will likely cost Nike millions.  

But... It's not like they've made it LGBT or BLM colours, it's colours relating to a training kit worn by the 1966 world cup squad. I thought banging on about ancient national victories was the exact opposite of woke?

30 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Yes, a few times, it's not Rashford or Greenwood levels of impact. I know you're a Man Utd fan so you're bound to disagree. I do like Elliott at Liverpool, and I think he should get a chance at some point, hopefully Mainoo is chosen during these friendlys or given minutes, and I can maybe see more, as many clearly think he's got something. 👍🏼

Here’s the thing, people are already dreaming of a Mainoo, Rice, Bellingham midfield. No one’s putting Elliot in their starting 11. They, as I, think he should be there based on merit but in the squad as an auxiliary player. 

10 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

But... It's not like they've made it LGBT or BLM colours, it's colours relating to a training kit worn by the 1966 world cup squad. I thought banging on about ancient national victories was the exact opposite of woke?

Think it's a bit of back peddling from nike if that's the excuse as forgive my old man colour blindness but looks nowt like the training kit. Even if that's the rationale it's a flag not a logo or an emblem that needed/ should be tweaking. 

Screenshot_20240322_125659_Samsung Internet.jpg

First they change the colour of our passports, now they change the colour of our flag. What next, are they going to start serving rainbow coloured LGBTQ123+ themed chicken tikka masala or have pink pints of Stella in our locals? Before you know it we'll have lost our entire national identity, you just can't say anything nowadays.

I don't understand how it's woke or whatever btw? It's a design choice. It's like if Adidas decided to put the middle bit of our badge on a new shirt somewhere but changed the colour of the border to fit with the colour scheme of the shirt. 

A load of bollocks for meatheads to fume over. Starmer is fucking pathetic for jumping on it n'all. 

Edited by Interpolic

4 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

As usual with these culture war things, everyone involved is shite.

The new kits are absolutely lush tbf, love that knitted style.

really dislike the collar on the home, other than that I agree. both are a definite DH jobby, anyway!

disclaimer: it's the shape and style of the collar I dislike, not the colour of the flag on the back of it.

5 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

I don't understand how it's woke or whatever btw? It's a design choice. It's like if Adidas decided to put the middle bit of our badge on a new shirt somewhere but changed the colour of the border to fit with the colour scheme of the shirt. 

A load of bollocks for meatheads to fume over. Starmer is fucking pathetic for jumping on it n'all. 

So you'd be happy if Adidas changed a little bit in the middle of our badge, like changing the colour of the black stripe to red?  It's a national shirt and all about the identity 

19 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

It's corporate wokeism like, 100%. If they'd said nothing I'd agree with you, but them doing the whole 'it's to unite and inspire' marketing bollocks and using pretty obviously LGBTQ colours for the design choice.

I hate these things because imo everyone's absolutely shit. Nike and other companies who do this sort of thing as a form of woke-washing and deliberate controversy=engagement, the flag-shaggers who at any other point of the year will bleat on about other people being triggered over nothing, and then the people opposed to them who will automatically take a multi-national corporation's 'side' as a knee-jerk position and seem to think companies do this because they're moral as opposed to just marketing to what their research has told them sells.

The only sane position is to not give a shit, but then 'the debate' becomes the story. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

39 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

Think it's a bit of back peddling from nike if that's the excuse as forgive my old man colour blindness but looks nowt like the training kit. Even if that's the rationale it's a flag not a logo or an emblem that needed/ should be tweaking. 

Screenshot_20240322_125659_Samsung Internet.jpg

image.png.db2519841a358182ebaeac56b57a546a.png

The trim, presumably

8 minutes ago, Mag3.14 said:

So you'd be happy if Adidas changed a little bit in the middle of our badge, like changing the colour of the black stripe to red?  It's a national shirt and all about the identity 

Yeah if it wasn't the main badge and just one of the other bits of the shirt. Even the main badge, clubs have been doing those one colour versions for years. If the middle bit of a cross on the back of the shirt is giving you a crisis of national identity then I don't know what to say to you. 

11 minutes ago, Big River said:

really dislike the collar on the home, other than that I agree. both are a definite DH jobby, anyway!

disclaimer: it's the shape and style of the collar I dislike, not the colour of the flag on the back of it.

Nah mate you said what you said. No backsies. 

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

using pretty obviously LGBTQ colours for the design choice.

My colour blindness / general ignorance is coming back to haunt me again here like :lol: it's a bit of blue/purple innit? I only really associate full rainbow colours with LGBTQ. 

The fact they've drawn attention to it probably does tell a story though yeah. It's just such a nothing story though, really couldn't care less. So much horrible shit going on out there, this is nothing. 

Edited by Interpolic

Just now, Interpolic said:

My colour blindness / general ignorance is coming back to haunt me again here like :lol: it's a bit of blue/purple innit? I only really associate full rainbow colours with LGBTQ. 

The fact they've drawn attention to it probably does tell a story though yeah. It's just such a nothing story though, really couldn't care less. 

Exactly this. It’s a nothing story about a small detail on a football top, it’s allover the news and is one of the most talked about topics on social media. Nike. Job done. 

1 hour ago, mighty__mag said:

Yes, a few times, it's not Rashford or Greenwood levels of impact. I know you're a Man Utd fan so you're bound to disagree. I do like Elliott at Liverpool, and I think he should get a chance at some point, hopefully Mainoo is chosen during these friendlys or given minutes, and I can maybe see more, as many clearly think he's got something. 👍🏼

I would say there's the same buzz around Mainoo as there was around those two. Just a less glamorous position, but he's exciting on the ball as well. 

I feel like Mainoo has a higher ceiling than both of them. Higher than Rashford by some way. Greenwood, who knows. 

Whilst I agree with the general point, not sure why there'd be a fuss about the price of the shirts like it's a shock, ours are £70 and there shite, nike's much better quality, sadly it's just standard for the times. 

And yeah, as @Charliessaid, great job from Nike's marketing team, everyone talking about it and it's a load of bollocks.