England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Win the group IMO, we'll have to face a top team eventually you can't really avoid it. I wouldn't be surprised if we lose in the second round though :lol: I don't mind it however as i really like how professional this team seems to be which bolds well for future tournaments unless the whole thing goes off the deep end for some reason.

Southgate hasn’t grown on me yet. He’s coached them well on set pieces so far, though he still needs to get them to keep their concentration and the movement in the middle a bit. At the end of the day I still feel like he’s taken a few players because of their name or club they play for instead of taking a couple of players who would fit in better, even if they are back up players.

I also sense that the country is at risk of running away with themselves again. Ok we have had a very good start, but we have played arguably 2 of the worst teams at the tournament. Ok there isn’t a team who I massively fear as I did in previous competitions, however it’s often ourselves we have to fear the most.

Winning the group would likely be terrible, if it gives us Colombia and then Germany. Finishing 2nd could mean Japan then Mexico.

Don't buy into this 'got to play the big teams eventually' stuff. Yes you do, but ideally you'd play less of them. Italy won in 2006 partly because they had Australia and then Ukraine to make the semi-finals.

Would like to get Japan if possible.

Can see us losing to either Senegal or Colombia.

I didn't watch Colombia today but they looked like crap against Japan, leading me to believe Poland are just that bad. Also Senegal while athletic are incredibly naive as today's game showed.

If we are as professional as i think we are neither of them concern me personally, if anything i think Japan are the best of the 3 so far.

Guest Howaythetoon

My main concern is the lack of creativity in midfield. belgium have De Bruyne and Hazzard, two of the best footballers in the world who can create, score and decide a game. We have Henderson as our playmaker if you like...

Would like to get Japan if possible.

Can see us losing to either Senegal or Colombia.

I didn't watch Colombia today but they looked like crap against Japan, leading me to believe Poland are just that bad. Also Senegal while athletic are incredibly naive as today's game showed.

If we are as professional as i think we are neither of them concern me personally, if anything i think Japan are the best of the 3 so far.

They were down to 10 men for 80 something minutes and their best player wasn't playing [emoji38]

That's not really an excuse to look as average as they did, even when James came on he didn't look good. If they look good against Senegal then fair enough but i really don't think they are as good as some here do.

Playing with 10 men for almost the whole game is an absolutely massive disadvantage. It is a perfectly valid excuse

Southgate hasn’t grown on me yet. He’s coached them well on set pieces so far, though he still needs to get them to keep their concentration and the movement in the middle a bit. At the end of the day I still feel like he’s taken a few players because of their name or club they play for instead of taking a couple of players who would fit in better, even if they are back up players.

I also sense that the country is at risk of running away with themselves again. Ok we have had a very good start, but we have played arguably 2 of the worst teams at the tournament. Ok there isn’t a team who I massively fear as I did in previous competitions, however it’s often ourselves we have to fear the most.

I completely disagree with all of this, I feel every that has been selected due to the system that Southgate wants and there is a reason for them to be there, not just because of there name.

You say he needs to get them to keep there concentration but the goal against Tunisia was a penalty that arguably shouldn't have been given and today we were 6-0 up and it's natural for people to lose concentration in order to conserve energy. Just look at Belgium yesterday.

As for the country getting ahead of themselves, I don't see that at all, all this it's coming home is just banter and people enjoying the fact that England are playing well, and even if its not, it's not often as England fans we get to celebrate, so I don't really care if people get carried away a bit.

I've seen plenty of good teams go down to 10 men and not look as bad as they did, besides if they don't beat Senegal they aren't going through anyway [emoji38]

When have you seen a team get a red card in the first 5 minutes and look any good? Their whole system of the three behind the striker which is the making of their team wasn't there against Japan

Guest firetotheworks

That's not really an excuse to look as average as they did, even when James came on he didn't look good. If they look good against Senegal then fair enough but i really don't think they are as good as some here do.

It kind of is like. [emoji38] I doubt you'd be saying this if you'd watched them tonight, they're definitely good like.

Tbh I think England could give anyone a game, in terms of winning or losing though, it's a tough one to call, but Columbia would be the last team from that group I'd want us to play.

It kind of is like. [emoji38] I doubt you'd be saying this if you'd watched them tonight, they're definitely good like.

Tbh I think England could give anyone a game, in terms of winning or losing though, it's a tough one to call, but Columbia would be the last team from that group I'd want us to play.

At the same time i doubt you and others would be saying they are good after the Japan game, it works both ways.

At the same time i doubt you and others would be saying they are good after the Japan game, it works both ways.

I would. One game where they were missing their best player and down to ten men for 85 minutes doesn't change anything

Guest firetotheworks

It doesn't really. [emoji38] They played with 11 players and James Rodriguez in this one, imo you can't judge a team on one match played with 10 men and without their best and most influential player, if you're going to judge them, you judge them on how they'll always line up.

As great as Colombia were today, I think we'd do them in the Second Round. They've got a great front 3 or 4 but Poland were so easy to play against. They'll not be able to play with that sort of freedom when we've got pace and look dangerous going forward ourselves.

Guest firetotheworks

One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that but I thought they looked pretty solid at the back and was really, really impressed with Mina. You would hope that Kane normally gets the better of Sanchez in training though. Still, overall I'd be much more confident with us up against Senegal or Japan.