England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

England have been shit, why are you burying your heads in the sand? :lol:

It's fine to be happy about reaching the QF and potentially beyond, but it seems quite a lot of people are turning a blind eye to their, quite frankly, Pardew-like performances.

We score from set pieces.

We don't bottle games

We don't hoof the ball

You talk shit.

No fluency

Too many safe/sideways passes (negative)

Too many attacking players not playing to their potential

You talk a lot more shit.

:jesuswept:

:memelol:

The only thing missing from England is creativity in the final third because we don't have top end midfield talent.

That aside we play pretty good football imo, you can't make the players into Modric magically. We pass it around well from the back into midfield we just hit a wall in the final 20-25 yards of the pitch.

None of which isn't the managers fault like it would be with Pardew :anguish:

True enough. Only problem with Southgate on the evidence thus far is a possible lack of tactical flexibility or reluctance to brave a change.

When one team is happy to play the dirty or negative way, the other team has the opportunity to change things up tactically, remaining cool and thus gaining an advantage. We didn't see that against Colombia, if anything we were drawn into playing their game. I think we will come up against something similar with Sweden (although not the foul play necessarily) and I'm interested to see what the manager does if Sweden are comfortably defending against our attacks. Do we risk pens again or do we be proactive, change the flow of the game and punish them. That stuff is down to the manager.

Guest firetotheworks

Pardew like, apart from the fact we aren’t losing 4-0 every match.

Yeah, because that's what happened every match.

Not sure why you're being facetious about something that happened regularly.

This is the most organised and best an England team has played in about a decade. We'll take what we can get. :lol:

Also, I think a lot of people are "turning a blind eye" as for the first time in a very long time people have a team and a squad that we can be proud of, and there is genuine optimism and a good feeling around the place at the moment, and even if we are failing to see our weaknesses, honestly I couldn't care less, as i'd much rather have this current feeling, then the feeling of pessimism that has plagued England in tournaments in recent year, as that's going to ultimately help the team, knowing everyone at home is rooting for them.

As I said, nothing wrong in enjoying it.

But there also nothing wrong in highlighting the negatives, too.

Okay, it happened regularly. But clearly, when someone likens something to something else, unless they're explicit about it, it doesn't necessarily mean that they think that those two things are EXACTLY alike.

Is that too outlandish to accept?

I know it somewhat spoils your fun, but that's the truth.

Guest firetotheworks

Okay, it happened regularly. But clearly, when someone likens something to something else, unless they're explicit about it, it doesn't necessarily mean that they think that those two things are EXACTLY alike.

Well nar, it's just your opinion.

The negatives can be brought up in unlikely event we don't win it.

Are you happy to apply this principle to NUFC? :lol:

Well nar, it's just your opinion.

Now, that's how it generally is. :lol:

The only negative I've seen so far is the Dier sub, the others are stuff you are making up in your head tbh.

Don't see the point in being critical about something which is beyond the managers control. Besides we have an opportunity to make our first Semi Final in 28 years and you're out here being negative?

giphy.webp

How will people rate this tournament in the future if you get beaten by Sweden I wonder? Or even if you got to the semis and got beat by Croatia

A fun few weeks but ultimately not that impressive given we'll have played games against 2 very poor teams, 3 average ones and went out.

How will people rate this tournament in the future if you get beaten by Sweden I wonder? Or even if you got to the semis and got beat by Croatia

Considering most people thought we'd lose to Colombia pretty favourably I imagine.

Not to mention most were incredibly negative about our chances coming into the tournament, don't see any result changing anyone's viewpoint on this tournament to be anything other than a success tbh.

Considering most people thought we'd lose to Colombia pretty favourably I imagine.

Not to mention most were incredibly negative about our chances coming into the tournament, don't see any result changing anyone's viewpoint on this tournament to be anything other than a success tbh.

Did they?  :lol:

From what I remember people were already talking about the semi's when we got Colombia  :lol: :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

It was a mixed bag though, it's not like we weren't all a part of the same debate over who would win between England and Colombia.

Guest neesy111

England were the better team, but Colombia showed minus their best player why people were saying it would be a hard game.

Colombia were missing their best player. I doubt many thought that Colombia 11 would beat England

He hardly impacted the group stage though(Poland aside), he barely played against Japan and Senegal and it didn't stop people from believing they'd win.

Also with how Colombia played i don't think it would have made a massive difference, James is a player who needs the ball and Colombia hardly had any of it in the final third for much of the game.