England

Yorkie

Southgate is a plum who made lots of mistakes at the World Cup. He got lucky getting to the semi finals and is now lucky that an immensely talented bunch of players are coming through whilst he is head coach.

Inbox me, I’m going to give you the forums idiot hat.

Southgate is a plum who made lots of mistakes at the World Cup. He got lucky getting to the semi finals and is now lucky that an immensely talented bunch of players are coming through whilst he is head coach.

Ibox me, I’m going to give you the forums idiot hat.

:lol:

Irritating that Dier and Henderson were picked together in CM, particularly in a home game. Surely Barkley has earned his place now.

For once in an England shirt, Sterling looked like he really knew what he was doing.

Our defending didn't look that convincing, but it was a makeshift back four.

All in all, we looked capable of scoring from every attack in the second half, and that was great to see.

I thought Barkley was pretty poor all night after coming on tbh.

You surprise me there. He was caught in possession a couple of times but he created a lot of good situations for us.

giphy.gif

Guest Howaythetoon

Southgate has done a brilliant job an England are in a very healthy place right now and have a great balance throughout with a very good set-up at all levels.

I’m pleased for Sterling, he’s one of the best players in the world at the moment in my opinion and as daft as this may read, if he could finish, he’d be genuinely world-class at a level above where he’s at now.

Talk of redemption by some parts of the media though... he doesn’t need to redeem himself because he’s done nothing wrong. No doubt the very same media who went out of their way to make him some bad boy poster boy of our game ck in the summe will proclaim him the golden boy now. Bunch of cunts.

The only thing England truly lack is a ball playing creative playmaker in the centre of the pitch which we have done well to compensate for in a lot of games so far because even the likes of Henderson and Dier are still technically decent players, they all are. But the difference between ourselves and Croatia in the WC Semi for example other than experience, was they had someone like Modric and we didn’t.

I didn’t watch the game on Friday, but going from he highlights and games before that England seem to have kicked on from the WC and there is no denying the quality of the football we now play and the various different types of football we can play, counter, possession, direct and so on. We are dangerous from crosses, set pieces, through the middle and on the break.

Southgate has done a brilliant job an England are in a very healthy place right now and have a great balance throughout with a very good set-up at all levels.

I’m pleased for Sterling, he’s one of the best players in the world at the moment in my opinion and as daft as this may read, if he could finish, he’d be genuinely world-class at a level above where he’s at now.

Talk of redemption by some parts of the media though... he doesn’t need to redeem himself because he’s done nothing wrong. No doubt the very same media who went out of their way to make him some bad boy poster boy of our game ck in the summe will proclaim him the golden boy now. Bunch of cunts.

The only thing England truly lack is a ball playing creative playmaker in the centre of the pitch which we have done well to compensate for in a lot of games so far because even the likes of Henderson and Dier are still technically decent players, they all are. But the difference between ourselves and Croatia in the WC Semi for example other than experience, was they had someone like Modric and we didn’t.

I didn’t watch the game on Friday, but going from he highlights and games before that England seem to have kicked on from the WC and there is no denying the quality of the football we now play and the various different types of football we can play, counter, possession, direct and so on. We are dangerous from crosses, set pieces, through the middle and on the break.

I don't know much about him, but could Foden be that player in the long term?

Guest firetotheworks

From what I've seen of him, he'll definitely be that player and probably/hopefully an exceptional one.

:lol: Hilarious from the Stifmeister.

We have so many talented youngsters coming through it's actually quite hard to pick just the 11, and hopefully only going to get tougher for Southgate as the lads develop and mature as players.

For once the optimism seems well founded, that with a bit of luck we could actually get to a final and be in with a rel shout of winning something in the next few years...

From what I've seen of him, he'll definitely be that player and probably/hopefully an exceptional one.

Yep, he’s the special one. I love sancho, think he’s an incredible talent, but Foden is the player to watch out for.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't know much about him, but could Foden be that player in the long term?

I haven’t seen much of him at all to be able to comment if I’m honest, but KI seems to rate him and as much as he can be an insufferable know it all nob, he tends to know his stuff when it comes to rating players. He could see what I could in Collins John way back for example.

Anyway...

You’d imagine he will get a great schooling at City under Pep, but you can’t beat playing games every week as Sancho is showing at Dortmund and our own Longstaff before he got injured. Talent like that can’t wait around.

A cheeky loan bid next season perhaps?

Maybe of interest or not, Southgate hasn’t been shy in either starting young players with little to no minutes under their belts at their respective clubs or bringing them on from the bench, regardless of fixture. As we’ve seen with Sancho and the Chelsea youngster most recentlly. And yet Foden hasn’t been given his chance just yet.

I’m wondering whether Southgate wants the kind of player Foden is in his team right now over other central midfield options who he plays like Henderson and Dier or the likes of Barkley and Rice, players whose game/role he maybe considers gives him just enough of what he wants and only needs in there. Players who suit his system, tactics, style of play down to a tee.

I think it’s easier for him to try the likes of Sancho or rather it makes more sense to try them out ahead of someone like Foden. Because whatever position he plays them in and whatever role he gives them, these positions and roles are not as fixed as some of the other positions and roles, or x player essential. The central midfield position and the role of the two he prefers to have in place there being a case in point.

Right now, I don’t think there is a place for a player like Foden in the team, where would he fit in, in place of who and would the manager have to rejig a few things to accommodate him? England managers in the past have been guilty of putting certain players into the team at the expense of the team, which actually resulted in neither the player nor the team benefiting.

It’s too early for the player, manager and this team I’d say, his time will come entually though and I’m confident he’ll be in safe hands with Southgate. Someone I feel is waiting for one or two others to come through first, players who he’d rather change the team or areas of the team for later on together with Foden than before just for Foden with Foden.

I’m hopeful that team will include our own Longstaff, a player Foden will need alongside him more than a Henderson or Dier whose game he shares many similarities with and can do their job. Unlike those two, however, he has a lot more to his game that won’t limit his role in central midfield in a fixed way.

I rate Foden so highly that if he was to become available for loan he could elevate any of the mid table teams to top 6 next season, so long as they don’t have any gaping squad holes

Assuming we stick with a 4-3-3 there's absolutely a spot for Foden in there as one of the two attacking central midfielders. He's competing with Alli, Barkley and Lingard and you could argue he's already a better playmaker than all of them. 

Assuming we stick with a 4-3-3 there's absolutely a spot for Foden in there as one of the two attacking central midfielders. He's competing with Alli, Barkley and Lingard and you could argue he's already a better playmaker than all of them.

You could but you'd have absolutely no evidence for that claim :lol:

Guest neesy111

Foden would probably need to play some Premier League games first, you'd think.

Hudson-Odoi is starting tonight without starting a game in the PL.

Guest Howaythetoon

I rate Ali, but he’s the odd one out for me. I’d rather play Oxlaide Chamberlain in his place if he returns to full fitness. Also Sancho, is he the real deal?

Don’t England usually play with two holding midfielders in Henderson and Dier if fit btw?

Guest Howaythetoon

Foden would probably need to play some Premier League games first, you'd think.

Hudson-Odoi is starting tonight without starting a game in the PL.

Where does he play?

I rate Ali, but he’s the odd one out for me. I’d rather play Oxlaide Chamberlain in his place if he returns to full fitness. Also Sancho, is he the real deal?

Don’t England usually play with two holding midfielders in Henderson and Dier if fit btw?

It's been pretty much exclusively 4-3-3 since we went away from the 3-5-2 used at the world cup. Not to say he won't switch to use 2 holding players again at some point though.