England

Yorkie

I didn't say they were if you read the post again, in fact I basically absolved Modric of blame, but when James got injured the team became overly reliant on the likes of Bale and Ronaldo to come up with the goods in the final third. They really could've done with a CM in there with more to offer going forward.

That's more a question of depth. James - Kroos - Modric worked much better than I expected, it worked very well. Isco's a great player but James feeds the front three much better. Beyond Isco - who isn't real a CM, Madrid didn't seem to have any other Real CM options. Kroos seemed to start and finish every single game I saw of them.

We were awful in the first half. So slow just like every other England team. The second half was a huge improvement. Henderson was better at RB than in midfield. I think he was involved in all the goals. I thought Sterling played well, too. He has the quality to cause chaos and stretch defenses. Rooney really needs to work on his finishing. He should have had at least two today. I wasn't pleased when I saw Wilshere's name in the team sheet but I was dead wrong. Two incredible goals. The second being the best goal I've seen in God knows how long. Maybe that Joe Cole goal against Sweeden was the last good one I saw. Great performance from him. He really needs to stay fit this season. Walcott, too. He's someone I feel has the a strong belief in his own ability and can score when it matters.

Just seen Wilshere's second goal, absolutely brilliant stuff and nice to see him playing well for England, I kinda think Wilshere needs a lot of super technical players next to him for him to succeed as he always wants those quick 1-2s, with England they often go wrong

Good point. You need players who are on his wavelength to get the best out of him, like at Arsenal.

That flick by Lallana into the space that Wilshere was drifting into for the second goal was a case in point.

Just seen Wilshere's second goal, absolutely brilliant stuff and nice to see him playing well for England, I kinda think Wilshere needs a lot of super technical players next to him for him to succeed as he always wants those quick 1-2s, with England they often go wrong

Good point. You need players who are on his wavelength to get the best out of him, like at Arsenal.

That flick by Lallana into the space that Wilshere was drifting into for the second goal was a case in point.

The whole move all the way from Henderson and Townsend's little one-two deep in our half was sublime. To have it finished off with such a strike, I have to say I actually applauded sat on my sofa. Best England team goal for many a year.

• 2 months later...

Midfielders: Michael Carrick (Manchester United), James Milner (Liverpool), Ross Barkley (Everton), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea City), Ryan Mason (Tottenham Hotspur), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Fabian Delph (Manchester City).

grim