England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

1 minute ago, Ginola said:

Tomori left out and Maguire included is stupid. Pleased for our lads that got in

Tomori hasn’t been that great this season  - well neither have the likes of Dier. Maguire tbh 

Some really odd selections there. 

Dier, Coady, Maguire at cb over Tomori is insane to me. Even Guehi who’s been consistent all season. No one behind Shaw - which is why I genuinely believe Burn should have gone especially when you consider the standard of the non-playing cbs. 

Phillips is bizarre. Even Gallagher to a certain extent. 

Forwards were as expected. 

I disagree with the selection but sort of respect Southgate for doing it his way, albeit predictable and dull. It’s likely his last tournament unless he gets close to winning it so he may as well go out on his shield. 

People screaming for Tomori couldn't have watched much of him this season. He's been awful.

As is the case with such a large squad of 26 I don't think there is anybody who has missed out that you would consider scandalous. It's a reasonably fair pick of form players and players trusted from previous tournaments. 

Feel sad for Burn as he's fucking earned a spot given his 2022 performances. He's part of the best defence, get that he is not one for the future but seems harsh if you decide on merit. I know he'd give everything and not let us down.

Wilson getting the spot is right call. Kane has been awfully immobile for England in Southgates system, I suspect he is backup for Southgates one striker system, but maybe he seems him as doing the wide forward role. He would be great for last twenty mins to press, make runs up front and poach goals. With England's wide forward quality he should do very well with someone like Sterling and Foden beside him.

16 minutes ago, LFEE said:

That midfield and CH selection are very uninspiring. Worryingly the inform players in the squad don’t seem to of been tried out in any of the games leading up to this.

Feels like he's just decided that he will get too much stick if the whole squad is out of form. Also been injuries to some of his go-to players like Calvert-Lewin and the FBs.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Gallagher and Phillips seem like weird picks on face value until you realise that nobody of any note has missed out.

You could argue Phillips should be starting given how we need to keep the ball better. But obvs he hasn't played any football this year.  

Journos can't help themselves can they. The fuck does Southgate need to answer these questions over and over again about inclusivity, diversity and human rights issues.

Just as bad as the questions Howe gets asked every other week about Saudi.