England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Watkins isn't it I'm afraid, amazing for Villa on the counter but in a possession based system he looks clueless. Kane really is the jewel in the crown, not sure how we ever replace him, he has to be kept fresh.

Grealish looked OK but he looked scared to take a player on, maybe worried about losing the ball and ultimately his spot on the plane, but made some great passes and kept the ball well.

Eze was easily the most impressive player on the night, fearless and dangerous. Some tough decisions for Southgate after Friday.

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

No we fucking do not.

Was near the 2 drums and it drove me mad. Deafening and a real atmosphere killer in the areas nearby.  It did start some chants off but mostly it just drowned them out.   The ‘song list’ is so turgid and boring.  Much prefer an atmosphere that develops organically than manufactured.  Maybe it sounded better in other areas of ground but there is no way I want to be near a drum in a football ground again.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mattoon said:

Watkins isn't it I'm afraid, amazing for Villa on the counter but in a possession based system he looks clueless. Kane really is the jewel in the crown, not sure how we ever replace him, he has to be kept fresh.

Grealish looked OK but he looked scared to take a player on, maybe worried about losing the ball and ultimately his spot on the plane, but made some great passes and kept the ball well.

Eze was easily the most impressive player on the night, fearless and dangerous. Some tough decisions for Southgate after Friday.

Kane definitely has one more tournament in him at the top level, probably 2 if he's lucky with injuries and he can continue in the vein Lewandoski or Benzema did well into in their mid 30s.

You'd hope within 3/4 years we will have another top English striker coming through, but they are becoming a far more rare commodity. I don't see where they are coming from right now but Kane himself didn't come to the fore till about 20/21yrs old, so there's time.

Edited by Mazzy

32 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Can see why we wanted Freedman, Eze and Wharton (and Olise) are very impressive finds

All of them were playing in the Championship though. They were readily available to any Prem team, don't want to do Freedman a disservice but just happens Palace are at that level where they need to take those risks and more clubs should be the same really.

I'm trying to second guess Southgate and figure out who will make the cut. I reckon the final squad will look something like this:

GK: Jordan Pickford (Everton)

GK: Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

GK: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace)

GK: James Trafford (Burnley)

DF: Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United)

DF: John Stones (Manchester City)

DF: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton)

DF: Lewis Dunk (Brighton)

DF: Joe Gomez (Liverpool)

DF: Harry Maguire (Manchester United)

DF: Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

DF: Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa)

DF: Luke Shaw (Manchester United)

DF: Jarrel Quansah (Liverpool)

DF: Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace)

MF: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)

MF: Conor Gallagher (Chelsea)

MF: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

MF: Declan Rice (Arsenal)

MF: Curtis Jones (Liverpool)

MF: Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace)

MF: Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United)

MF: James Maddison (Tottenham Hotspur)

MF: Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace)

FW: Jack Grealish (Manchester City)

FW: Jarrod Bowen (West Ham United)

FW: Anthony Gordon (Newcastle United)

FW: Bukayo Saka (Arsenal)

FW: Phil Foden (Manchester City)

FW: Harry Kane (Bayern Munich)

FW: Ivan Toney (Brentford)

FW: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)

FW: Cole Palmer (Chelsea)

I could be totally wrong. Personally, I would take Wharton and ditch Gallagher. Also, I would bin Maguire and take Branthwaite or Gomez. Who knows?

Attacking and midfield look strong. The downfall will be our defence once we hit later rounds. Hope I'm wrong!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BGRM said:

I'm trying to second guess Southgate and figure out who will make the cut. I reckon the final squad will look something like this:

I could be totally wrong. Personally, I would take Wharton and ditch Gallagher. Also, I would bin Maguire and take Branthwaite or Gomez. Who knows?

Attacking and midfield look strong. The downfall will be our defence once we hit later rounds. Hope I'm wrong!

Yeah I broadly agree with your second guesses. I’m OK with taking Gallagher. Not sure you can take both Mainoo and Wharton. I’d definitely take Gomez over Maguire. Honestly tempted to just take two strikers and pop either Wharton or Grealish in.

Edited by leffe186

4 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

Can see why we wanted Freedman, Eze and Wharton (and Olise) are very impressive finds

Wouldn't say they are impressive finds as they were well known talents. Credit to Palace for having the guts to go in early on them and having confidence they could step up to a higher level though.

Wish we would take that gamble more often. Last young talent we picked up from the Championship while being in the PL being Lascelles in 2014..?

1 hour ago, BGRM said:

Hearing Southgates comments before and after the game and him talking about Wharton, I think he's 100% taking him.

Basically said England do not have and have not had a player like Wharton in a long time and it's affected how England have performed. 

Watched Wharton closely and whilst not exactly setting the world alight, he makes everything look so easy. Never rushed, never gives the ball away cheaply. Direct, simple one touch passes. Looks a gem and a right steal for Palace. 

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Wish we'd signed Wharton

Such a straightforward and tidy player,  just seems to do the right thing all the time 

Posted (edited)

Andros Townsend was booed when I went to the Stadium of Light to watch England v Australia about 8 years ago

I remember it well because at one point they were booing the wrong mixed race player

Edited by joeyt

3 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Booing Pickford is absolutely pathetic from our lot btw

He laughed it off, got a good reception later on and no harm done. 

44 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Same applies when he plays up here for everton next year then

Posted (edited)

While Wharton is good, surely there are hundreds of people who can just control the ball and give a simple pass. If we want one then it shouldn’t be too hard to find. 

I’m not dissing him, it’s the style I try to use myself. But it’s more something that takes a specific role and permission to do rather than something which is a really difficult skillset. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

27 minutes ago, jack j said:

Same applies when he plays up here for everton next year then

No because he's playing for the opposition. Yesterday he was playing for the team people were there to support. Surely that's obvious.

11 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

No because he's playing for the opposition. Yesterday he was playing for the team people were there to support. Surely that's obvious.

So all that abuse he gets when he plays for Everton is clearly fake and staged. If you can turn them feelings on or off just because of the shirt he is wearing.

I'd take Trafford as number 3 keeper over Ramsdale or Henderson. Keep whoever he thinks is number 2, take the one who will benefit from being at a major senior tournament even if it's just in training, etc, especially if he sees him as a potential long term number 1.

50 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

While Wharton is good, surely there are hundreds of people who can just control the ball and give a simple pass. If we want one then it shouldn’t be too hard to find. 

I’m not dissing him, it’s the style I try to use myself. But it’s more something that takes a specific role and permission to do rather than something which is a really difficult skillset. 

Nah

Much of the point with Wharton is that a huge percentage of his passes are one touch and go forwards into attacking areas and he finds people 90% of the time. The speed and awareness of his passes make him simply different class. I'll grant you he makes it look simple and plenty of PL clubs passed on him for different reasons (pace, physique etc). 

Southgate made an interesting point about him that he had really impressed the England squad and they began moving into areas to collect his passes - that's exactly what happened at Palace too with Eze and Olise responding to him and getting into great areas as they knew Wharton would find them. A good 40% of all those goals we scored at the end of last season came from him creating something. He's said himself that as a former 10 he really enjoys putting people away as he knows how hard it is to make opportunities up top. 

Still early days and things could go wrong if his next move is the wrong one but confident that he'll end up at one of those truly elite CL clubs if he maintains this level - not talking about the PL 6 here. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Was it not all a little bit pantomime and half expected… 

To be honest it didn’t come across on TV… ant least I didn’t notice it.. and did it happen every time he touched the ball?

3 hours ago, Conjo said:

Wouldn't say they are impressive finds as they were well known talents. Credit to Palace for having the guts to go in early on them and having confidence they could step up to a higher level though.

Wish we would take that gamble more often. Last young talent we picked up from the Championship while being in the PL being Lascelles in 2014..?

True enough in a way but there is something freaky about Freedman's hit rate and decision making  which is close enough to 100% if you ignore low-level opportunistic buys such as Plange for U21 duties and on the off chance - only real fails being Nathan Ferguson who we bought injured and stayed injured for 4 years :mike: and Sorloth who I think we can now put down to managerial error. Franca too an unknown as yet I suppose.

The current level of success is freaky as each season there are around 5/6 must haves from the Champo. Some fail, some disappoint and some are good value. It's a minority that become great value star buys. Just off the top of my head: Buendia, Lewis-Potter, Benrahma. All good players of course but for various reasons have never really done it and certainly haven't made the star buy category. 

Not expecting this level of success to continue. There have been plenty of near misses with players who have been on the verge of signing but chosen elsewhere (Adam Armstrong, Flynn Downes etc) that have been way below this level.