England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

On 12/06/2024 at 21:49, toon25 said:

If I could disassociate the football team from politics/patriotism/national pride/every other fucking thing I'm supposed to like because I happened to be shat out by me Ma on this patch of earth, then I might be more in favour of them doing well.

As it stands, England, Southgate, God Save the King, the FA, beer swilling, piss slinging, chair breaking moron superfans can do one.

NUFC is in wor blood. Nothing else comes close.

Just a quick question, how do you feel about being a Geordie?

I don't understand why it's "cool" to hate on our country, we've been brow beaten into disliking anything quintessentially English, the Scottish are proud, the Welsh are too, the Irish, French, hell even the Germans and they have something to definitely not be proud of.

Yes, some fans are beer swilling, "Ingeeerrrland" singing, violent neanderthals but that doesn't mean you have to associate with that, there's plenty of whoppers in the NUFC fanbase, does that deter you from the Toon?

I won't be joining in with the "Muh England bad" faux moral supremacy thanks, I'll be sat with a few mates, drinking some beers and cheering on MY country, I may have been born here by luck but it won't deter me from loving the place I call home.

14 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

I don't understand why it's "cool" to hate on our country, we've been brow beaten into disliking anything quintessentially English, the Scottish are proud, the Welsh are too, the Irish, French, hell even the Germans and they have something to definitely not be proud of.

Yes, some fans are beer swilling, "Ingeeerrrland" singing, violent neanderthals but that doesn't mean you have to associate with that, there's plenty of whoppers in the NUFC fanbase, does that deter you from the Toon?

I won't be joining in with the "Muh England bad" faux moral supremacy thanks, I'll be sat with a few mates, drinking some beers and cheering on MY country, I may have been born here by luck but it won't deter me from loving the place I call home.

Who said it's cool to 'hate' on 'your' country? I certainly didn't. I just don't support them.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Bellingham is the issue, Southgate isn't going to have the bravery to play him further back so that Foden can play in the middle. 

Both good options obvs, but since we don't have a brilliant second DM I would play Bellingham alongside Rice. 

bellingham rice foden is a no brainer.

1 hour ago, Mattoon said:

I agree.

I see England as rolling hills and lush meadows, intellectual greats like Isaac Newton, Michel Faraday, Tim Berners-Lee, George Stevenson (North East genius).

The thick types have always been part of our history but I don't associate them with this great nation.

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

Who said it's cool to 'hate' on 'your' country? I certainly didn't. I just don't support them.

It might not be seen as cool but there’s definitely an overly cynical outlook on English people being patriotic from some. It might be the hooligans/far-right/gammons but you don’t have to be both. 

I mean, you either support a team or you don’t. There are a million political and social reasons to not support England. For all the flaws we’re guessing are in that study, we all knew that Liverpool and Newcastle would be near the top and Chelsea and West Ham would be near the bottom.

I’m just interested in the argument that simultaneously where you’re born and grow up doesn’t make you support your country, but a specific football team is in your blood. Everyone’s different, but the entire reason I support both my country and team is in my blood.

My interest in England is similar to that which I had for Ashley's Newcastle. 

I wanted them to win when I watched them but, when they inevitably fucked up, I was able to shrug my shoulders and quickly move on. 

See a lot of "British culture" debates when, really, the people getting all dewy eyed over it's mythical demise are talking about English culture. 

A culture that's been diminished by populism to the point it's now just racism, flags and forelock tugging. For some. 

Edited by Groundhog63

5 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

My interest in England is similar to that which I had for Ashley's Newcastle. 

I wanted them to win when I watched them but, when they inevitably fucked up, I was able to shrug my shoulders and quickly move on. 

See a lot of "British culture" debates when, really, the people getting all dewy eyed over it's mythical demise are talking about English culture. 

A culture that's been diminished by populism to the point it's now just racism, flags and forelock tugging. For some. 

I wanted Ashley’s Newcastle to lose most of the time. 

Forgetting the actual football team for one moment, never thought I’d consider buying anything Engerland related, but that Nike Tech Fleece hoodie/jogger combo all of the players are wearing for the media briefings is tempting. Really nice colour and the quality/comfort looks really good too.

1 hour ago, astraguy said:

What happened with the shit with the flag on the back of the shirt? They changed it to a rainbow theme or something and ppl went mad a week,are they now wearing it with "pride"

I dunno, I think the 2012 shirt just went on without issue. We then left Umbro for Nike?

The patriotism talk is interesting. I'm at a point now where when my wife wants to fly the US flag outside our house I'm against it because to me that flag now symbolizes racism, oppression, and general right wing redneck lunacy. 

They've been waving the flag so hard for so long that I can't separate that shit in my mind any more.

I imagine it's similar with the English flag.

It is, aye, but there's only one way to reclaim it from that sort of subculture and image, and that's to.. well, to reclaim it :lol: 

Like someone else posted earlier, the knackers of any particular demographic shouldn't be allowed to define it (other than the demographic that is specifically 'knackers'). Every reasonably sized group of people will contain members who make other members wish they belonged to a different group :)

8 hours ago, OpenC said:

It is, aye, but there's only one way to reclaim it from that sort of subculture and image, and that's to.. well, to reclaim it :lol: 

Like someone else posted earlier, the knackers of any particular demographic shouldn't be allowed to define it (other than the demographic that is specifically 'knackers'). Every reasonably sized group of people will contain members who make other members wish they belonged to a different group :)

It would be easier to put it down to just a few knackers if the evidence didn’t suggest otherwise. See today's videos of large groups of England fans singing "German Bombers" in Germany this morning to illustrate the point. It’s fucking cringe on a different level to anyone with an IQ approaching triple digits.

On 14/06/2024 at 00:38, St. Maximin said:

It might not be seen as cool but there’s definitely an overly cynical outlook on English people being patriotic from some. It might be the hooligans/far-right/gammons but you don’t have to be both. 

I extend this to anyone being patriotic. However, I still very much support England.

Edited by Dr Venkman

Couldn't name our defence, but surely our front six is:

Gordon -- Kane -- Saka

Rice -- Foden -- Bellingham

With Rice and Bellingham behind Foden as the 10.

Thinking of defence, I know Dan Burn was feeling the heat toward the end, but I still think he would've been a good squad option for England considering our options.