England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

A large part of why we're shit as a team is shoe-horning the favourites into the side instead of simply building something based on playing as many in-form players in as many natural positions as possible. We get away with it against the wank teams.

I completely agree with this FWIW, it's just I look back at the World Cup and see how badly we failed trying 'something different'. Granted the Liverpool experiment was skewed by them nearly winning the league due to the best striker on the planet.

During the times we've looked good in the qualifiers, going on unbeaten runs etc, Rooney has been playing. I think it's going to be the same this year, Kane and Vardy will be shite and we'll look terrible.

To accomodate Rooney tonight we had our two best goalscorers miles out wide and our most exciting attacking talent stuck much deeper than he should be. So for one player, three others suffer.

To play devils advocate you could also argue that the other players are being shoe-horned in.

Guest neesy111

You can't be picking players on past glories, it's what has made England terrible in most tournaments recently.  Picking rooney falls right in that category.

A large part of why we're s*** as a team is shoe-horning the favourites into the side instead of simply building something based on playing as many in-form players in as many natural positions as possible. We get away with it against the w*** teams.

This. Plus Rooney should surely be playing for Ireland. He'd be seen as a handsome hunk of a man in Connemara, so he would; whether his 'cottage' was thatched or not.

You can't be picking players on past glories, it's what has made England terrible in most tournaments recently.  Picking rooney falls right in that category.

Aye, I just think there's an element of, no matter who we pick, we're going to be disappointed. And that a player like Rooney will get the major share of criticism because 'if we selected X Y of Z we'd have done better.' Which I'm not sure is the case.

To accomodate Rooney tonight we had our two best goalscorers miles out wide and our most exciting attacking talent stuck much deeper than he should be. So for one player, three others suffer.

:thup:

I've not been excited about watching England for years. Absolutely detest the hype and 'Ingurland...it's coming home', mob, but it's been a complete breath of fresh air to see in form, hard-working, players like Kane, Vardy, Drinkwater and Alli be given an opportunity and performing well. The last thing I want to see is a reversion to the 'same old' when there's clearly an opportunity to build something really promising here.

Seriously though, we do well as a team in the qualifiers. We do shit in the actual cup. The point is it's not Wayne Rooney's selection that's the problem.

Given he's/we've been shite in every tournament since 2004 maybe there is a link.

Aye, maybe our top scorer was the problem :thup:

He's hardly troubled the score sheet in tournaments though.

It was a rather nervous selection by Hodgson. He's not sure whether Dier on his own can do enough to protect his back four, and so he tried Milner. Trouble is, I don't think Milner or Henderson offer us enough. Maybe Drinkwater would have been the better option, but that ship has sailed.

He also wants to find starting places for both Vardy and Rooney, but that didn't work either.

Looking at the front six, I'd personally definitely have these five - Dier, Wilshere, Alli, Kane and Lallana. The other place I'd give to Barkley or Rooney, and adjust the formation depending on which of those two are picked.

Barkley's not had a great season, but he's a class player who can come good.

an opportunity finally to put Wayne Rooney, Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy on the pitch together. The VaRooKa strikeforce

Ooo let's hope that doesn't stick.

VaRooKa is fucking brutal. :lol:

Hodgson won't be able to return to the country if he makes a complete mess of things. Such potential going forward in this England side and it feels like it's going to be a huge let down now.