Aleksandar Mitrović

Yaron

How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 20+

Mitro is an international striker with 9 PL goals in a debut season at the age of 21.

Joselu is a tin pot Bundesliga rejected who's hit 8 PL goals at the age of 27 in his PL career to date.

These are facts. The only thing up for debate is attitude, Mitro is a radjee, Joselu runs about and doesn't cause a fuss. Are either good enough, probably not. Is Mitro of higher quality than Joselu, absolutely.

:thup:

Mitro is an international striker with 9 PL goals in a debut season at the age of 21.

Joselu is a tin pot Bundesliga rejected who's hit 8 PL goals at the age of 27 in his PL career to date.

These are facts. The only thing up for debate is attitude, Mitro is a radjee, Joselu runs about and doesn't cause a fuss. Are either good enough, probably not. Is Mitro of higher quality than Joselu, absolutely.

Those facts seem highly selective if I'm being honest.

What other stats should I be selecting like? Joselu never played in Belgium, and Mitro never in Spain / Germany.

That's Joselus entire PL career (over 40 games) compared to Mitros only PL season? If anything adding this season gives Mitro 6 more appearances and an extra goal? :lol:

At the age of 22ish, Joselu was hammering in 5 goals across 2 seasons for Hoffenheim? I can't be selective if Joselu is consistently s***.

edit:

Going by PL minutes, Joselu has roughly 600 minutes of game time remaining to score 5 more goals and get 3 more assists, otherwise Mitro is statistically more useful in both scoring and creating, at a younger age.

Guest firetotheworks

Debut season in a different team under a different manager. A season in which he still missed shit loads of chances, had ill discipline, and (not his fault) definitely shouldn't have been our main striker.

Under our current manager he's failed in the system we had in place in the Championship, never mind in the Premier League, and has continued to not work on the defensive side of his game that Rafa's instructed him to this season (as mentioned in Rafa's talk in at the Tyneside Cinema). Gayle didn't fail in the Championship and Josélu puts in the defensive work that Mitrovic doesn't. Why that would be less important to you than the season before in a completely different context, or him playing for his national team, or him being 'better' but unsuitable for the whole team's system, I dunno. He's not good enough for the whole system to change in order to accommodate him.

I've even seen the whole Mitrovic/Josélu/Rafa thing compared with Ben Arfa/Raylor/Pardew situation on here, which is laughable really when you think about the chasm between the quality of the players and managers involved.

"2nd season in a different team under a different manager. A season in which he still missed s*** loads of chances, ran about, and (not his fault) definitely shouldn't have been our main striker." - Joselu, 17/18

They are entirely incomparable as there is to many confounding variables like the quality of the team around him, manager etc. But the none grey area is goals, and I doubt there is anybody who could see Joselu getting 9 PL goals in what was essentially less than 25 full games, whether in Rafas or McClarens team.

He's s****, Mitro is slightly less s****. I don't get why you have such a knarking problem when people say he's areet :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

"2nd season in a different team under a different manager. A season in which he still missed s*** loads of chances, ran about, and (not his fault) definitely shouldn't have been our main striker." - Joselu, 17/18

They are entirely incomparable as there is to many confounding variables like the quality of the team around him, manager etc. But the none grey area is goals, and I doubt there is anybody who could see Joselu getting 9 PL goals in what was essentially less than 25 full games, whether in Rafas or McClarens team.

He's s****, Mitro is slightly less s****. I don't get why you have such a knarking problem when people say he's areet [emoji38]

Because he's not areet. [emoji38] He's just a different version of shit.

Guest Howaythetoon

Fucking hell I don’t rate Mitrovic at all, but he pisses all over Joselu who is one of the worst forwards I’ve ever seen for us.

His version of shitness is down to his personality, mad antics, and supposed attitude toward learning the defensive side of the game, I agree :lol: But maybe he'd be areet if he could sort it out. Joselu has nothing to sort, his version of shitness is non-negotiable.

Mitro needs to be refined, polished, but most importantly mature, Joselu needs melting down. For me that's why Mitros in the less s*** / areet bracket. There is nowt wrong with people wanting him playing or to do well at Fulham, under the pretence he might just learn something and become the player we thought we'd poached from BvB and Porto etc.

It doesn't mean there is an unfathomable Mitro love in. It's clear he has technical ability lurking somewhere, it comes out in occasional flashes when he gets assists, brings the ball down on his chest, clever lay offs etc. It's got f*** all to do with him being mental/mad from chewing pyro as a Partizan player, which is what you seem to label as peoples reason for starting him.

So Mitrovic would be ok if he got better. But how do you get better if you're not bothering with training?

They are obviously both pretty crap but one does what the manager asks, the other doesnt. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Fulham fans were raving about his work rate, holding up of the ball and tracking back yesterday fwiw.

Maybe he’s learning.

I was interested to note that Rafa has bought in two strikers, Joselu and Slimani - both of which are relatively old, maybe he wants an experienced player up front and if Mitro works his arse off at Fulham (and maybe another loan term elsewhere next season) he could have a future still.

Fulham fans were raving about his work rate, holding up of the ball and tracking back yesterday fwiw.

Maybe he’s learning.

I was interested to note that Rafa has bought in two strikers, Joselu and Slimani - both of which are relatively old, maybe he wants an experienced player up front and if Mitro works his arse off at Fulham (and maybe another loan term elsewhere next season) he could have a future still.

He done that very well in his last few performances for us this season as well. I forgot who we were playing but he came on for 20 minutes or so at home in his last outing and was brilliant, done almost everything you want a big CF to do.

Rafa don't fancy him, unfortunately no matter what Mitro does Rafa will probably find fault in something, and unless Mitro suddenly turns into Harry Kane instead of what he is. A somewhat promising but ultimately cumbersome, slowish, bang average target man, with the brain of a flea. Rafa's right, OK maybe Mitro could have been given a chance ahead of Joselu but that ship has long since sailed.

I say all that and i quite like Mitro, Rafa don't and that pretty much is that.

Maybe he’s learning.

He done that very well in his last few performances for us this season as well. I forgot who we were playing but he came on for 20 minutes or so at home in his last outing and was brilliant, done almost everything you want a big CF to do.

When we got smashed 0-3 off Watford?

Aleksandar Mitrovic may find himself temporarily in west London rather than Newcastle United, but the striker remains adamant he made the right decision to move to St James’ Park.

The 23-year-old joined Fulham on a half-season loan last month after Rafa Benitez made it clear to the Serbian that he would be fourth-choice forward if he remained on Tyneside.

With the World Cup coming up in Russia this summer, Mitrovic knew he needed to head out on loan in order to regain full match sharpness, given that he had failed to start a single Premier League game for Newcastle during the first half of the campaign.

Benitez’s apparent reluctance to use Mitrovic could have led to the striker claiming that he made the wrong choice when joining the Magpies from Anderlecht for £13million during the summer of 2015.

But, more than two-and-a-half years on, Mitrovic remains convinced he made the right decision to join his boyhood English club - who he followed due to the fact Newcastle wear black-and-white stripes, just like Partizan Belgrade.

“They [Newcastle] are big names in Serbian football, and here in English football, and they told me it’s the hardest league in the world, so I wanted to see what it was like,”

Mitrovic told Fulham’s matchday programme ahead of Saturday’s 2-0 victory over Aston Villa, during which he made his full Cottagers debut.

“I joined Newcastle because from a young age I supported them. I don’t why, but they had black-and-white colours, the same colours as Partizan Belgrade.

“I chose Newcastle and I didn’t make a mistake.”

It was a hectic end to January for Mitrovic, who was given permission by Benitez during the final 48 hours of the window to depart Tyneside temporarily once it became clear Leicester City would allow Islam Slimani to move to the North East. Initially Mitrovic agreed a deal with Bordeaux but, after waking up on transfer-deadline day, the forward changed his mind and opted to head back to former club Anderlecht.

“On Tuesday night, we made a deal that in the morning, I should fly to Bordeaux,” Mitrovic said of his January transfer saga.

“After I made the deal with Bordeaux, I went for a sleep and then Anderlecht called my brother who is also my agent.

“I was thinking, because I’d already played for Anderlecht, I would adapt faster because I know people there. That’s why I changed my mind.”

After flying out to Brussels and giving an interview declaring his delight at rejoining his former club, Anderlecht pulled out of the deal - purportedly for financial reasons - and an 11th-hour loan move to Fulham was agreed instead.

Mitrovic came off the bench in his opening two appearances for the Cottagers, but he made his first Fulham start on Saturday - playing 79 minutes of the 2-0 win over Villa.

“I’ve settled in. The lads help me a lot,” Mitrovic added.

“I already know how they play, what they want and what my job is. Of course I need time to adapt, but it’s going well. Every game, every training session, I feel better.

“The stadium is really old and traditional, so it was a real pleasure to play there and the atmosphere was really nice. The fans really accepted me well from the beginning.”

Mitrovic - who revealed he practised kick-boxing and karate as a child, before focusing his full attentions on football - was drawn to Fulham for two reasons: their style of play, and their manager, Slavisa Jokanovic.

A compatriot of Mitrovic’s, and also a former Partizan player and manager, Jokanovic kept in constant contact with the Newcastle striker throughout January in the hope of luring the forward to Craven Cottage.

After Mitrovic’s debut on Saturday, Jokanovic described the forward as a “sensation” - and he praised the 23-year-old forward for helping to create Ryan Sessegnon’s opener and his all-round game, even if statistics suggest the striker struggled. NO regular KI was seen to sneer at Jokanovic's assessment.

“He did a lot of great things for Partizan as a player and a manager,” Mitrovic said of Jokanovic.

“He’s one of the best managers Serbia has. He represents our country in the best way, so I’m very proud.

“He’s a lovely guy and it’s a pleasure to work with him.”

But Fulham’s style of play also caught Mitrovic’s attention - particularly their 3-1 demolition of Newcastle at St James’ Park last March.

“Last season, Fulham definitely played the most beautiful football in the Championship. They beat us at St. James’ Park, 3-1. It could have been 7-1,” Mitrovic recalled.

“They were unlucky in the play-offs, but I also followed the team this season. Fulham have some new players, but the manager and the staff and a lot of the players are the same.

“They played really offensive football, so that is the reason I chose Fulham.

“In the Premier League, you have seven, eight top teams and seven or eight alright teams, but in the Championship, all the teams are of a similar level.

“There are so many games with a short time to recover. In the Premier League there are better teams with more quality, but you see Manchester City played Bristol City and Bristol was really tough.

“They beat Manchester United, so it’s not a big difference between these two leagues. For me, the Championship is a physically harder league. The Championship has so much running, many fighting duels and it’s really tough football.”

For Mitrovic and fifth-placed Fulham, promotion is now the goal. The Cottagers are six points behind the automatic-promotion slots but are one of the Championship’s most in-form sides.

“This is going to be a long 15 games and we need their [the fans’] help,” Mitrovic stated.

“I hope they stay behind us and help us to get promoted. Of course, why not [achieve automatic promotion]? In the next two weeks, we have really tough games against direct opponents and the gap between us is seven points.

“This is nothing. If we win most of the games, we have a big chance to get automatically promoted.”

Jokanovic's assessment

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hes-sensation-aleksandar-mitrovic-receives-14304984

Mitrovic himself saying he chose Fulham because they play a very attacking style of football in that interview. Rafa plays off a more defensive formation and Mitro might not be prepared to play the sort of role Rafa requires.