Aleksandar Mitrović

Yaron

How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 20+

Annoying thing was it was barely a tackle, it was lax initial control followed by trying to control after the ball had been nicked away hence why his foot came down the way it did. He might as well of tried to take the blokes leg off for the severity of the offence. Either way he's a marked man for the rest of his PL career which after barely 200mins is pathetic.

Good post

Annoying thing was it was barely a tackle, it was lax initial control followed by trying to control after the ball had been nicked away hence why his foot came down the way it did. He might as well of tried to take the blokes leg off for the severity of the offence. Either way he's a marked man for the rest of his PL career which after barely 200mins is pathetic.

Them's the rules these days. Miss or overstep a dropping ball, which may be spinning, with the base of your foot and you're out for the best part of four games.

I wonder what the approved method of trapping a dropping ball is. A method where you can miss and the result is not getting sent off. Any stretch to try and get it these days risks a red card. In terms of the advantage gained, it's minuscule compared to the straight red professional foul, which stops a goalscoring opportunity and only gets a one match ban.

hmm... i remember a certain Callum McManaman early in is career doing a horror-tackle on Massadio-Haidara & getting what again?  was Mitro's anything like that 'challenge'?

Good fucking post.

No it isn't ffs :lol:

A clearly wrong decision has nothing to do with this. There would never be another red card again if the criteria was it being comparable to this challenge.

FWIW my view is similar to what someone posted earlier about it being an "orange" card. It's clearly at least a yellow and worse than almost all yellow card challenges you'd see. It's not like it's an incomprehensible decision like the Afelley or Noble red cards. Also, everyone who says he was trying to control the ball, even if the Arsenal player wasn't there that's a bloody weird way to try and control the ball.

McManaman's actions were defended by his manager & others as a product of 'enthusiasm' on his debut & that he shouldn't be held to account because he wasn't "that sort of lad".  point being that Mitrovic is also full of enthusiasm but has gotten a reputation as being "that sort of lad" ... i think marriner has made up his mind before the match even began that he wasn't going to having any nonsense during his game & so he books sissoko early etc.

when mitro has his awkward/rash/clumsy 'challenge he gives him straight red b/c it's in his head that mitro is a dirty player.  i think it's also in his head that since he screwed up a call against arsenal from before ( last season was it?) & then he's not blown for the penalty by thauvin, he's got to do something harsh to an arsenal opponent to show he's got nothing against arsenal. 

i'm not saying that Mitrovic should carry on screaming, "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" as he plunges into every 50/50 ball or challenge & get away with it; he needs to keep a lower profile.  but, on this occasion i think he saw red based on his reputation & another player might have got off with a yellow.

After watching 'the incident' on super-slow motion a few times a couple of things stand-out for me. Mitrovic jumps well with Squillaci, and cushions the ball on his chest (whilst 2ft in the air). As he returns to Earth ( so to speak...) his eyes never leave the ball. The ball is free, bouncing six foot in the air as Mitrovic lands on his right foot, and takes a steadying step with his left foot, as Coquelin approaches at pace. Mitirovic's right leg is starting to stretch towards the ball before Coquelin even plants what will be his standing (left) foot.  Mitrovic springs forward off his left foot ( both feet off the ground), right foot outstretched towards the ball. Coquelin gets his foot there first ( M's R foot still 18 inches away) and knocks the ball to his left (M's right). Mitrovic's eyes are lowered and clearly on the ball/space where it was as his big slow clumsy-looking hoof then misses the moved ball and lands mid shin pad, heel studs on foot. There doesn't appear to be a scream from Coquelin until the ball has bounced free and travelled about eight feet, I.e. it doesn't appear an instantaneous 'hurt'. Also prior to the scream, Coquelin's and Mitrovic's eyes are following the ball. If you're hurt by a contact in a way proportionate to his reaction, I would expect instant eyes closed and attention shifting inwards, not staying on the ball/game. There's no great outpouring of injustice from the other three Arsenal players in the vicinity, all had eyes on the ball. Mitrovic looks

genuinely shocked, as does Cazorla, by the card. Why bother with the above? Well firstly I've just woke-up and it's still playing in my mind and secondly, I feel sure that if there had been no scream/cry from Coquelin or other dramatic reaction we wouldn't have seen a red card. This was a game changing incident, though the two sendings off for Stoke looked just as  trivial to me. As far as I know, the refs may technically be within the broad rules to have issued a red in all cases, but all seemed disappointingly influenced by a lack of sensible interpretation and by the fouled players' histrionics.

Has anyone bothered to look up the rule yet? I'd love to know what it says about intent, momentum and so on.

Whichever way you want to look at that incident there's no denying he didn't mean it and there was very little possibility of the lad being hurt.

hmm... i remember a certain Callum McManaman early in is career doing a horror-tackle on Massadio-Haidara & getting what again?  was Mitro's anything like that 'challenge'?

No, but it doesn't mean it wasn't dangerous.

I don't get why there's such an argument about it. Vast majority of pundits and NUFC fans can see why he gave a red. It's not like it's an outrageous decision.

I personally think it is a red. Can see why people think it's soft, but to hear people say "never a red" is ludicrous when basically 95% of all coverage of it has agreed that it was probably the right decision.

It's never a red because it's never a red. Everyone on here lambasted Janmaat for his stupidity a couple of weeks ago. It's not bias. People have eyes and can see that it was an embarrassingly corrupt and pre-meditated decision. Marriner seemed to absolutely delight in waving the red card in Mitro's face.

A red may have been harsh but it was a clumsy, silly challenge to make given his nonsensical bookings already this season. The studs were up and it was on his shin so you're immediately giving a card happy ref the chance to send you off in my book. The lad obviously has a lot to offer but will need to learn how to use passion and aggression better. Can't have him missing games all the time due to reds and yellows.

Just watched the sending off again and noticed how not one Arsenal player is even calling for a yellow card to be shown. Then Carzola putting an arm around Mitrovic. You know a decisions harsh when the other team react like that (or don't react) to a challenge.

Just seen the highlights again and it's an absolute shambles of a red card. What's worse is the horrid BT coverage and now I've just had to listen to hypocritical, ex-arsenal Martin Keown saying Coutinho and Nobles was never a red card yet Mitrovic's was.

Its an indefensable red card. Over the top of the ball with studs into shin.  No point appealing cos it will just be increased to four games out if we do.  Sign  Austin now.  Mitro will be suspended for half the season as he is too stupid to learn from his errors of judgment.

Its an indefensable red card. Over the top of the ball with studs into shin.  No point appealing cos it will just be increased to four games out if we do.  Sign  Austin now.  Mitro will be suspended for half the season as he is too stupid to learn from his errors of judgment.

Top post. As in, topped myself with anguish over the "logic" of the bolded part especially :anguish:

How anyone can see the challenge in full speed and describe it as an "indefensible" red card is completely beyond me.

I can't believe how many people have bought into this bad boy image created by the media. Costa practically maims a defender most weekends and everyone laps it up.

It's all down to interpretation and there is only 1 mans that actually matters. Enough people agree with him and equally enough people disagree to show it's not exactly a freak decision. I personally wasn't surprised when it was red but don't think it was malicious at all and probably not dangerous enough but can understand an on the spot decision...especially with dudey writhing on the floor.

It happens every week so not sure why the big deal.

Mitrovic will return and he'll be fine. He doesn't strike me as the wilting flower type so doubt will affect him too much.

Just watched the sending off again and noticed how not one Arsenal player is even calling for a yellow card to be shown. Then Carzola putting an arm around Mitrovic. You know a decisions harsh when the other team react like that (or don't react) to a challenge.

Cazorla's reaction is the key one imo, said it yesterday. He's got a smile/laugh of total disbelief and then goes over to console Mitrovic.

That's all you need to know about how 'dangerous' it was.

Cazorla's reaction is the key one imo, said it yesterday. He's got a smile/laugh of total disbelief and then goes over to console Mitrovic.

Not sure thats valid as they would have been watching the ball, not where Mitrovics foot ended up. Sure if they had seen his studs hit the shin they would all have been in the refs face regardless of whether there was intent or danger.

Someone ban this cunt.

Let's not make this a big club v small club thing. Giroud was sent off for something very similar to this two years ago against Fulham. His was an even worse decision by the ref.

This was the referee's mistake but it could have, and in fact has, happened to Arsenal before.

Let's not make this a big club v small club thing. Giroud was sent off for something very similar to this two years ago against Fulham. His was an even worse decision by the ref.

This was the referee's mistake but it could have, and in fact has, happened to Arsenal before.

Agree. This was about the screaming little c*** Coquelin, and the rep of Mitrovic. All comes down to the weak and useless PL referees.

Not sure thats valid as they would have been watching the ball, not where Mitrovics foot ended up. Sure if they had seen his studs hit the shin they would all have been in the refs face regardless of whether there was intent or danger.

look at his face man, he saw it and he knew it was utter bollocks :lol:

Let's not, we aren't a small club :pow: