Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

13 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

That is such a dumb graphic.  Why plot aerial duals and some shitty passing stat against each other? :lol:  

Such fucking dumb.

I mean its a simple graph but its probably the best 2 stats for CBs to compare if only 2 are being used, progressive passes for the ball playing CBs combined with the aerial ability of the more traditional CB sort of gives you a vague but rounded idea. Obviously combining all CB stats would be better.

Edited by Nine

The problem with Schar’s position on that chart is that it ignores the fact he often carries the ball beyond the press (usually as Shelvey’s shat himself so given it back to Schar) then gives it simple (usually sideways) to Manq/Fraser/Krafth. So his simple sideways pass is from higher up the pitch than Lascelles. Which means he’s actually far more progressive he’s just dribbled and passed sideways not stood still and hoofed it like Lascelles. 

There was one of those star charts or whatever they are called, comparing Burn with Lascelles and Schar. 

They both looked pretty crap in comparison to Burn, for different reasons. But the passing stats for Lascelles were horrendous. Pretty much everything on there was, I think bar aerial duels and something else. Even tackles were poor. Annoyingly, I can’t find it now. I thought it was WyAyeScout on Twitter. But it’s not on there. 

At least with Schar he has a bit of ability on the ball and will carry it forward when he needs to. He’s also coming off the back of an MOTM display against Leeds. Where he barely put a foot wrong. 

His passing is like 78% according to WhoScored where as Schar is about 66%.

Lascelles has Trippier to his right where a lot of our build up goes down, a lot of Lascelles' passes will be to Trippier moving into space up the wing. Schar is probably hitting a lot of balls long which are being headed clear by a defender.

Brighton are one of the best teams in the league at keeping the ball so all of their players will be favourably skewed I would imagine.

The idea with Botman and Carlos was to have one ball playing defender and one warrior. Schar/Lascelles are like the super low budget version of that. This idea that Schar is miles better than Lascelles isn't really borne out, in fact his superior technical ability often gets him into trouble as seen by his horrendous rick against Man United which should have lost us the game. He was good against Leeds, but has only ever really worked in a three with protection around him. Burn feels like the Schar replacement, I reckon Eddie will stick with Lascelles, limited as he is, for now.

7 minutes ago, Chizzletooth said:

The idea with Botman and Carlos was to have one ball playing defender and one warrior. Schar/Lascelles are like the super low budget version of that. This idea that Schar is miles better than Lascelles isn't really borne out, in fact his superior technical ability often gets him into trouble as seen by his horrendous rick against Man United which should have lost us the game. He was good against Leeds, but has only ever really worked in a three with protection around him. Burn feels like the Schar replacement, I reckon Eddie will stick with Lascelles, limited as he is, for now.

And still arguably our best CB, Fede will be sat on the bench

They are all a similar level to me.

Lascelles: Aerial 8/10, Ball at feet 5/10, Awareness 5/10, Pace 5/10

Schar: Aerial 6/10, Ball at feet 7/10, Awareness 5/10, Pace 5/10

Fernandez: Aerial 7/10, Ball at feet 6/10, Awareness 6/10, Pace 5/10

Is the way I read it. Fernandez is the best all rounder but he's not particularly great at anything either and I seriously doubt his physical capabilities, with his age and injuries. None of them have pace, which is a huge limitation on our team. IMO we let our best defender go:

Lejuene: Aerial 7/10, Ball at feet 7/10, Awareness 7/10, Pace 5/10

That's why at times all of our centre backs looked good under Rafa because he protected them and drilled the team methodically. You could get away with "penalty box" defenders, when you are set up correctly. Of course, it caused us problems at the other end of the pitch because we weren't expansive.

Our defenders are being asked to play football now. It's like being asked to play tennis with a baseball bat.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Also in a relegation battle for a team that sit deep. I think composure and aerial ability are massive. Neither are particularly composed but Lascelles is good in the air. Teams will have to go through us and that's easier to manage with bodies.

Some of the huge clangers he's been dropping recently completely negate that aerial ability though. He's a constant worry during games

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Some of the huge clangers he's been dropping recently completely negate that aerial ability though. He's a constant worry during games

Schar is also a constant worry though. He's had as many clangers as Clark or Lascelles they just don't get made into a big deal because he makes a nice pass or dribbles past a few players occasionally. 

1 minute ago, Joey47 said:

Schar is also a constant worry though. He's had as many clangers as Clark or Lascelles they just don't get made into a big deal because he makes a nice pass or dribbles past a few players occasionally. 

If only we could have the Rafa version of Schar back. He was world class.

Just now, Holmesy said:

Yeah don't get me wrong when Schar has a good game he looks very classy (last game against Leeds) but he's just as prone to a clanger as our other CB's aside from Fede who I can't remember ever seeing a clanger from. 

Conclusion: It should be Burn and Fede starting in a back 4.

1 minute ago, Joey47 said:

Yeah don't get me wrong when Schar has a good game he looks very classy (last game against Leeds) but he's just as prone to a clanger as our other CB's aside from Fede who I can't remember ever seeing a clanger from. 

Conclusion: It should be Burn and Fede starting in a back 4.

Totally agree

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

No. No he wasn't. He wasn't even very good class. None of them were. The reason we played 3 centre halves was because none of them played particularly well even given the poor midfield.

16 minutes ago, madras said:

No. No he wasn't. He wasn't even very good class. None of them were. The reason we played 3 centre halves was because none of them played particularly well even given the poor midfield.

It was said tongue in cheek, i didn't think he was actually world class. I think you're doing him a disservice though because he was very good under Rafa at times, both defensively and going forward. 

Just now, Holmesy said:

It was said tongue in cheek, i didn't think he was actually world class. I think you're doing him a disservice though because he was very good under Rafa at times, both defensively and going forward. 

I don't remember many times I thought he was particularly good defensively. His being comfortable on the ball often covering for that.

1 hour ago, STM said:

It will be Lascelles and Burn, so don't get your hopes up.

I actually think they will create a decent pairing too.

Same here tbh. Lascelles passing is iffy, but he usually plays it quite safe to avoid getting into trouble. I think he does the dirty work of defending more than Schar does, although Schar is a better footballer overall. Not sure I agree that the stick Lascelles gets is justified in comparison to the other CBs, all of them are below top level.