Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

I like he lad, he's a young player with the right attitude and I'd keep him in the squad next season as he can improve under Benitez. No way should he be starting though, not good enough currently.

He's a young centre half still, like. Plenty of time to improve and some good attributes to work with. We need 2 CBs in the Summer, no doubt, but I have faith he'll make it.

Agree with both. It's also his first full season. I think it also shows how important of a signing Clark has been. We wouldn't have conceded that goal last night - there's no way he'd have let someone be out of position like that in that stage of the game. Not unless I've got rose-tinted glasses on in the wake of that game.

This is his 4th season where you'd consider him either a first choice, or pushing for a first-team spot in a team in the top two divisions so I'm not giving him that like.

Mbemba was outcasted for 6 months because of a crap performance v Wolves. Lascelles has been a big let down for me and has been for a long time. So many f*** ups in him.

There was more to it with Mbemba.

That's exactly what I heard from my in the know source

Guest palnese

He played pretty well at the end of the last season, didn't he?

On current form it would be a huge gamble to start him in the top flight. He needs game time to improve, so what do we do with him? Can't see Rafa loaning out his current captain.

He played pretty well at the end of the last season, didn't he?

On current form it would be a huge gamble to start him in the top flight. He needs game time to improve, so what do we do with him? Can't see Rafa loaning out his current captain.

Yeah, against teams already on vacation more or less.

Guest neesy111

Captaincy and pressure is putting a massive burden on him, he needs to be taken out of the firing line and also learn from a more experienced partner.

Guest neesy111

I think he's just a bit thick, but he will go again.

This is the issue with him being captain is that he has to talk to the media before most games so we'll get these stupid soundbites.

:lol:

You're probably right about it. I don't hate him (Pardew is the only human I literally hate) but i really don't like him. My opinion of him might be a bit over the top at times to be honest, but I'm just sick of the repeated and avoidable mistakes he makes time after time. Players will always make mistakes but he makes the one's that should easily be avoided more often than not.

Lascelles has been poor for months and even when he's not making mistakes he's clueless with the ball.  I'm sick of seeing him take the easy option and passing back to Darlow just because he doesn't know what to do, or he stands still instead of trying to take the ball to the opposition.  Mbemba has his faults but at least he doesn't treat the ball as if it's a bomb that's about to go off and he will try to dive us forward and run at the opposition with the ball.

Agreed he's been subpar for a long time now. But I find the "on the ball" criticisms of CB's OTT.

"Mbemba has his faults" = defending and following instruction. It's not an "at least" thing.

FWIW i'm struggling to justify Lascelles even being 3rd choice in the Prem on recent form.

Expecting a professional footballer to be able to run with the ball is hardly asking a lot is it?  As for Mbemba and his defending, he cost us nothing yesterday and he hasn't been bad during the last 3 games, he's been the best of the 2 central defenders.  I expect that he has been following instruction or he would have been replaced by Hanley.

The players he slagged off last season have had/will have had twice the career this bloke's had.

but were more responsible for us being in this division. Therefore don't give a s***.

Aye, weird statement that.

He was right to slag them off at the time and it was commendable that he was willing to tell them where to go.

If you're not allowed to slag off players who have had better careers than you, we may as well close down the forum because we're in no position to comment on anyone.

Guest neesy111

Agreed he's been subpar for a long time now. But I find the "on the ball" criticisms of CB's OTT.

"Mbemba has his faults" = defending and following instruction. It's not an "at least" thing.

FWIW i'm struggling to justify Lascelles even being 3rd choice in the Prem on recent form.

Expecting a professional footballer to be able to run with the ball is hardly asking a lot is it?  As for Mbemba and his defending, he cost us nothing yesterday and he hasn't been bad during the last 3 games, he's been the best of the 2 central defenders.  I expect that he has been following instruction or he would have been replaced by Hanley.

Mbemba was terrible vs Sheff Wed.

The players he slagged off last season have had/will have had twice the career this bloke's had.

but were more responsible for us being in this division. Therefore don't give a s***.

He was right to slag them off at the time and it was commendable that he was willing to tell them where to go.

If you're not allowed to slag off players who have had better careers than you, we may as well close down the forum because we're in no position to comment on anyone.

If he was doing his own job well, concentrating, putting in consisting performances, I'd agree. He's been poor for me for on the whole. Can't imagine it's exactly inspirational when he's having a pop at players then not doing what he should be doing himself.

If he was doing his own job well, concentrating, putting in consisting performances, I'd agree. He's been poor for me for on the whole. Can't imagine it's exactly inspirational when he's having a pop at players then not doing what he should be doing himself.

He had a pop at players who downed tools and weren't putting any effort in, something you couldn't ever band towards him.

With him, it's a lack of concentration and/or quality. Totally different to the likes of those he had a go at last season in completely different circumstances.

No idea where you're going with this.

He's only 23 so he should improve over the coming years. Worth sticking with as part of the squad IMO but he definitely can't be first choice next year (assuming we go up).

Signing someone like Shawcross and having Lascelles as his backup would make sense.