Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

I think him and Darlow are on thin ice right now. The best defenders or keepers are those that make the fewest mistakes. Anyone can make a rick like they did yesterday, but when it starts happening too regularly then you are going to get dropped. Darlow probably deserves to keep his place for now, I think Lascelles maybe should make way for Mbemba or Hanley.

Benitez said: “I think he didn’t play well in one game but he was really good in the next game he played. In our last game, he was more or less average defensively.

“But after he scored the goal, he was doing really well. So you have to analyse everything and Jamaal has been really good for us.

“You can accept you have a bad game but to score the goal the other day was very good for his confidence.’’

And Benitez insists the responsibility of being captain has not affected Lascelles, signed from Nottingham Forest with goalkeeper Karl Darlow in a joint £5million-plus deal in August 2014.

The Spaniard added: “He’s helping the team and he is pushing his team-mates.’’

Very good at the basics of defending, just needs to be a little more composed on the ball, he always heads it away even when there's no pressure on him and he can bring it down, gives away possession quite a lot.

Also he's a real threat at set pieces, seems to have that knack of getting on the end of things.

If I see Lascelles telling everyone to slow down, calm down and then pass it sideways one more time when we are chasing the game I think I'll explode

In the 2nd half he could have played the ball out with a simple pass to 1 of 3different players. Instead he decided to keep the ball depsite is being 1-0 down. In the end it resulted in us losing the ball and conceding a corner.

He wasn't the only one doing that, but that was possibly the worst case of it happening today.

Rafa needs to tell Lascelles to keep it simple, and if there's an opportunity to push on from the back then give it to Clark, who is the much better footballer.

Most opposition teams know Clark is miles better with the ball than Lascelles so they allow Lascelles to carry it up field and man mark the players around him (including Clark) so he looks very uncomfortable carrying the ball a lot