Jamaal Lascelles

Nobody

Jamaal Lascelles  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

You get behind your players, don't you?

Like Colback?

Why get behind s*** players?

Cos they're the ones we've got and we want them to do as well as possible to get like promoted and that

Plus he works hard, right?

No - just the reasons i said. It's a matter of principle. You might disagree.

Like Colback?

Cos they're the ones we've got and we want them to do as well as possible to get like promoted and that

Go on then, explain how criticising him on a message board is going to have any influence? Booing your players is one thing, but picking fault with them after a shit season is another.

Like Colback?

Go on then, explain how criticising him on a message board is going to have any influence? Booing your players is one thing, but picking fault with them after a s*** season is another.

It doesn't, but then again supporting him on a forum doesn't make a difference either.  For what its worth i think he had a pretty good 1st half to the season, but i think the pressure has got to him and he has started to make a lot of mistakes.  Some of the hyperbole on here about how bad he is is pretty riduclous.

Like Colback?

Go on then, explain how criticising him on a message board is going to have any influence? Booing your players is one thing, but picking fault with them after a s*** season is another.

It doesn't, but then again supporting him on a forum doesn't make a difference either.  For what its worth i think he had a pretty good 1st half to the season, but i think the pressure has got to him and he has started to make a lot of mistakes.  Some of the hyperbole on here about how bad he is is pretty riduclous.

The forum is to discuss things though, so why are people getting told to "support the player" when they say he's been shit?

Like Colback?

'Go on then' lol

I think this extends beyond message boards. People are calling him out in the Twitter feed that the club use - where they've congratulated him on his inclusion. Others berate at the match. He's a young centre half who has had an up and down season. I'd rather get behind him than slag him off and undermine his confidence. Then again I'm quite a positive person.....

Like Colback?

Why get behind shit players?

The difference with Colback is that Colback is physically incapable of doing the job required. Lascelles is fairly young and has most of the attributes needed to be a very good centre back. The question remains over his temperament and concentration. It's not really a like for like comparison. Personally I would drop Lascelles for the next couple of games, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa sticks with him. He seems to get more pissed off with players who don't follow his instructions positionally than those who make mistakes.

He's making mistakes, but at least he's getting into the positions to make those mistakes.

His mistakes are not being in the right positions. Jesus.

If his mistakes are specifically being out of position, then by being out of position he is in the perfect position to make those specific mistakes.

Jesus right back at ya.

Named in the PFA team of the year... ???  Alongside Shelvey and Gayle - https://www.thepfa.com/news/2017/4/20/pfa-championship-team-of-the-year

Well done to the lad. Hope that gives him a boost. I find it surprising, but not because he has looked off form recently, but just given the competition. Some strong seasons/performances by centre backs in the Championship (certainly seen a couple I would swap him for). Suspect Ritchie missed out as, again, strong competition in midfield roles. Though they don't seem to have selected by position, so to speak, so I can see an argument for Knockaert and Cairney over him, but a little surprised Shelvey and Mooy (both very good players to be fair) pop out above him.

Some poor performances - particularly recently - and mistakes have marred what's otherwise been a very solid campaign; quite similar to Darlow in that respect. On the whole, I think he's been pretty good, with excellent performances against Brighton, Huddersfield away and Wolves away springing to mind instantly. Jury's out on his role at the club next season if we go up though.

I think Lascelles has looked dodgy since the new year. Was really impressed with him when he came back into the team in end of August/early September but ever since our rough patch around Christmas he's looked shaky and clumsy; worries me a bit if we go up that he might be a starter for us.

In terms of the team of the year, reckon it should've been Jansson or even Clark. Probably a few others who've had a better/more consistent season than Lascelles too.

Good for him! It's easy to forget the big performances in the biggest games he's put in like the Brighton games and Huddersfield away - especially with some people re-writing history about how he's apparently been s*** all season. Some of it in the match threads has been RTG standard.

He's been s**** lately but I think he'll come good with time. He's got the attributes but just needs to calm down and stick to the basics. Given the absolute shell of men we've had at centre back in recent years I think the lad deserves a bit of time .

I'd rather he wasn't captain next season though. Someone like Ritchie would be better suited and Lascelles can just focus on being a defender. He stood up when we needed someone to though and not in a Steven Taylor pashun sort of way before anyone makes the comparison.

I guess that's aimed at me, I was referring to his poor performances earlier in the season when he was dropped and another time when he was poor and supposedly injured but was on the bench.  I don't think anybody is suggesting that he's been poor for every game and he hasn't been.  I don't think we have another player who has cost us so many goals this season and I can only think of Colback who is more limited with the ball.  I also don't think any of our other players hoofs the ball aimlessly up-field as much as or more than Lascelles.

Good for him! It's easy to forget the big performances in the biggest games he's put in like the Brighton games and Huddersfield away - especially with some people re-writing history about how he's apparently been s*** all season. Some of it in the match threads has been RTG standard.

He's been s**** lately but I think he'll come good with time. He's got the attributes but just needs to calm down and stick to the basics. Given the absolute shell of men we've had at centre back in recent years I think the lad deserves a bit of time .

I'd rather he wasn't captain next season though. Someone like Ritchie would be better suited and Lascelles can just focus on being a defender. He stood up when we needed someone to though and not in a Steven Taylor pashun sort of way before anyone makes the comparison.

I guess that's aimed at me, I was referring to his poor performances earlier in the season when he was dropped and another time when he was poor and supposedly injured but was on the bench.  I don't think anybody is suggesting that he's been poor for every game and he hasn't been.  I don't think we have another player who has cost us so many goals this season and I can only think of Colback who is more limited with the ball.  I also don't think any of our other players hoofs the ball aimlessly up-field as much as or more than Lascelles.

Darlow. Darlow has cost us almost as many goals.

Lascelles is in the same category as Mitrovic for me. There's obviously a lot to like about both of their games but neither are proven premier quality at this time. But I wouldn't mind keeping either because they are relatively young and there's room to develop. It just depends how much pressure there is to sell. There shouldn't be any really if we are looking at them as assets with resaleable value according to the Ashley model.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neesy111

Seems odd to play him when we have had fit centre backs who could take his place though.

Probably speaks volumes about Rafa trusting them.