Portland Timbers 4 - 3 Newcastle United (Game link in OP)

Nobody

USAUSAUSAUSA

:lol: Nah, but I mean, really? The Timbers B team dropped 4 on us? Holy shit.

we played a backline of bigi, satka, ferguson and aarons man, oh yeah and darlow in goals who appears to be playing the wrong sport, maybe he's a hockey keeper or something :lol:

:lol: I'm pretty sure half the Timbers B team hitchhiked  to the match, man. Shouldn't be losing to teams at this level.

Can't understand why McClaren would play that back 4, unless it's purely for fitness.

was it a fake pitch aye?  looked like it

probably didn't want to risk injuries to anyone he thinks he might actually need back there i'd imagine, considering how woefully light we are in defence

USAUSAUSAUSA

[emoji38] Nah, but I mean, really? The Timbers B team dropped 4 on us? Holy shit.

we played a backline of bigi, satka, ferguson and aarons man, oh yeah and darlow in goals who appears to be playing the wrong sport, maybe he's a hockey keeper or something [emoji38]

[emoji38] I'm pretty sure half the Timbers B team hitchhiked  to the match, man. Shouldn't be losing to teams at this level.

Well, fair point but 3 of three goals came from big blokes heading in against tiny people in the wrong positions. As I said earlier mind, back 5 aside we should have been belting goals of our own in, but it looks like it's going to take a very long time to rid these players of the Pardew effect.

It's going to take time with some of them and need to start again with defence. Will be worried if we do not look capable in the home friendly. Assuming we get 1 or 2 cb's we will have a reasonable starting 11 surely capable of top 10 but not sure about challenging further up. As long as we head in right direction willing to give it a chance. It will take time for coaching methods to bed in and different style but hopefully we actually develop a style. First game has to be Winegum and Anita in centre with Aarons, Sissoko and De Jong as a 3 in front and Mitrogoal up front.

Mbemba n Colo as CB if nobody comes in and usual full backs with Krul in goal

Pardew or no Pardew I think it's pretty evident by now that too many of these players are just utter pony.

It comes down to whether you believe the players are all awful or don't give a shit (remember those conversations from the season after finishing 5th?) or that collectively they've just not got a clue how to play together because they've been coached anti-football for years.

I know which I believe, because I believe that out of Krul, Janmaat, Colo, Haidara, Anita, Colback, Abeid, Tiote, Sissoko, Aarons, Cabella, Cisse, and now Wijnaldum, Mitrovic and maybe Mbemba there is more than enough to mould a functioning team, perhaps not a great one, but one that can actually function.  I'm probably forgetting players as well.

MYM was "pony" let's not forget, as was HBA and Santon, and they were peddled out of the club because a certain silver haired lunatic managed to convince people it was the individuals at fault and not the system they were working under.

I'm deeply concerned that McLaren at present appears to be sticking with giving chance after chance to Gouffran, Obertan, Williamson and so on.

Darlow's distribution impressed me.  Although, I'm unsure about just how impressive it is seeing that Krul is my anchor point. 

Do we know if his 90's David James-esc crossing horror show against T2's set pieces is the norm or was last night a blip? 

Gouffran was appalling all game.  Had one of those first touches that creates opposition counter attacks.  And once he got the ball under (relative) control, he was his typical ponderous self when picking passes.  The usual routine was to wonder to within a couple of yards of a fellow player, demand the ball, spend a while controlling it, wonder around a bit and finally under-hit a simple pass back to where he got it from.

I fucking hate the man.

Well at least that should please Colbacks haters, McClaren is clearly just passing the armband around.

Hopefully it will settle on one of the real candidates. I can see Wijnaldum getting it.

Would definitely like Sissoko and Cisse replaced if possible, Sissoko is a one trick pony, which is a battering ram taking on 3-4 players but then losing the ball ,misplacing the pass or skying the shot.

Cisse is a good goalscorer when he feels like it but cannot play football to save his life in any other aspect, no holdup play, not intelligent enough to link up with the midfield properly and permanently offside, if we play with one up front hes the type of player who is completely useless if he isn't bang in form.

These thoughts have no bearing on last nights game, well maybe a little.

Just seen the score. Regardless of owt else, what the f*** was with that lineup? A back three of Bigi, Satka and Ferguson?!

I guess McClaren didn't fancy risking Colo or Taylor on an artificial pitch and gave Williamson a night off.

An awful lot of over analysis here for a preseason friendly.

We're approaching training, matches, tactics in a way these same players haven't seen for years under Pardew. The effects of a new style of play don't happen overnight.

Of course it's mildly disappointing to lose but had we won 10-0 what would that have meant? They're games set up for fitness purposes.

The Monchengladbach friendly will give us the clearest picture. Pre-season pretty much over, Southampton a week away, that'll probably be our best chance to see if anything seems to be changing.

You would assume in that game, McClaren would be looking to start his preferred XI, or as close to it as possible.