Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Mönchengladbach - FT

Nobody

I thought Mbemba did well at right back. McClaren probably felt it would have been a bit unfair on him to pitch him in at CB, with no chance to develop any prior understanding with Taylor or Willo.

Yeah, they could do with having a bit of time in a preseason friendly match or something of that ilk.

You've missed the point. If you have a player that's barely had any chance to play with any of his team mates, do you put him into the more exposed position of centre back, or do you give him the simpler and less vulnerable role of a full back?

It was a meaningless friendly, as many are keen to point out. Who gives a f*** if he's exposed? It would be a start. And if he's that exposed it says a lot about the team in front of him anyway.

He'll now go into a competitive match against a very good opponent with no match time with either partner whatsoever. Ideal.

Exactly. Why not ease him into it in a "meaningless friendly", rather than pushing him into the deep end against Southampton when the pressure is on to perform well?

Doubt he'll start, to be honest. Pretty sure we'll see the same back 4 as today. :anguish:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/c9/c9500fc5_TomHanksGrossFace.jpeg

The only finishing problem that struck me last year was Riviere. Cisse was fairly clinical on the whole, and Ayoze scored enough difficult ones to let him off with the easier ones he missed. The overall lack of chances, especially from pointless set pieces, was the main memory.

More than that though, it was all the stupid goals we gave away. Krul passing it straight to Ashley Young after 93 minutes at 0-0 being a representative example.

Poorly planned pre-season, glad it's over.

A direct consequence of not being sure about what division we were going to be participating (nearly used 'competing' there) in until the final 15 minutes of the last game of the season. Preparing a side for a PL campaign would be a lot different to preparing one to get out of the Championship. Absolutely no surprise to me that we've started this season in exactly the same manner we finished the last one. Uninterested, disorganised at the back and offering little threat against the most mediocre of opposition.

This should have been a fresh start and nothing's changed.

---------------------Krul------------------------

Janmaat-----Mbemba----Taylor-------Haidara

--------------Sissoko---Wijnaldum------------

---Perez--------De Jong-----------Aarons

-------------------Mitrovic------------------

My team too :lol: fuck defensive / holding mids.

That would be absolutely suicidal  :lol:

Our squad is lop sided at the moment, we have too many bang average midfielders and we have to off load some. We desperately need a LB and another centre half. I also think we need to sign Austin, Mitrovic could be anything but he hasn't exactly hit the ground running. We need goals.

I can see McClaren going safety first next week with Colback a certain starter and I'd personally have Sissoko alongside him. I've no idea how you play De Jong, Perez and Mitrovic in the same side, we more or less need 2 set ups depending on whether Mitrovic or Perez plays.It all looks a bit of a mess to me.

Thought that was quite an interesting match, even though it wasn't very entertaining. We tried a few different ideas in different phases of the game - some really good pressing in the latter part of the first half was when we looked most dangerous. I think we'll see much more of that next week. They played some good build up but I didn't think they looked that dangerous, if anything, we created the clearest openings (not that we were particularly great at it, mind).

We seem to be focusing a lot on building up out wide which I hope isn't their only tactic. Judging by a few press snippets, they're teaching tactics incrementally and I'm hoping they're just trying to get as much practise as possible with deliveries.

Not a fan of Anita-Colback at all. They protected the defence well enough but neither is dynamic enough going the other way. Wijnaldum instantly took up better positions and had much more drive - he got a little lost in their midfield when he was CAM. I hope the Anita-Colback thing is just there for protection while players get better used to the system, they were both doing a lot of full back covering. Might just be because the coaches don't have much confidence in the back two.

Good to see a bit of positional fluidity towards the end of the first half too. Full backs got high and wide and the front 4 mixed their positions up much more.

Daft defending for their goal. It's good we're trying to play out more but there's a time and a place to just clear it.

Mitrovic could be anything but he hasn't exactly hit the ground running. We need goals.

Christ :lol:

He's had enough chances to have scored 3 or 4 by now, laugh it off but from what I've seen he's best attacking crosses and we're not set up for that. I'd start Cisse on Sunday. We've scored a pitiful amount of pre season goals against mostly poor opposition playing at about 80%. 

Has Mbemba played any preseason games? They might simply think he's not got the fitness to start yet (even if he'd started today) so focused on having the two they know will be ready to get as much playing time together?

If they'd had this shit wrapped in early July, I doubt we'd be in the stupid position we're in with Williamson.

Funny reading this everyone had a different opinion on the game.

One thing I have to say and I'm not a mcclaren fan at all...there's no point getting on his back before the season has even started.

Aye.

Our squad is lop sided at the moment, we have too many bang average midfielders and we have to off load some. We desperately need a LB and another centre half. I also think we need to sign Austin, Mitrovic could be anything but he hasn't exactly hit the ground running. We need goals.

I can see McClaren going safety first next week with Colback a certain starter and I'd personally have Sissoko alongside him. I've no idea how you play De Jong, Perez and Mitrovic in the same side, we more or less need 2 set ups depending on whether Mitrovic or Perez plays.It all looks a bit of a mess to me.

You're talking about our squad being bang average then advocating us signing Charlie Austin...

---------------------Krul------------------------

Janmaat-----Mbemba----Taylor-------Haidara

--------------Sissoko---Wijnaldum------------

---Perez--------De Jong-----------Aarons

-------------------Mitrovic------------------

My team too :lol: fuck defensive / holding mids.

That would be absolutely suicidal  :lol:

Not arsed, sick of Colcunt and the dwarf Anita playing cm

You're talking about our squad being bang average then advocating us signing Charlie Austin...

He's shown he can score goals for bang average sides. We look 3 or 4 weeks away from where we should be pre season, Soton could rip us to pieces next week.

Mitrovic could be anything but he hasn't exactly hit the ground running. We need goals.

He's had enough chances to have scored 3 or 4 by now, laugh it off but from what I've seen he's best attacking crosses and we're not set up for that. I'd start Cisse on Sunday. We've scored a pitiful amount of pre season goals against mostly poor opposition playing at about 80%.

He's had an hour of playing time in pre season where he's spent most of it joining us and getting a visa. What he does at the moment really means fuck all to me, also he's got into more goalscoring positions than Cisse has in that 60 mins. The goals will come, what's the point in sticking with someone who hardly gets any chances because physically he's too easy to play against. He's shown enough he can be very effective, so what if the goals haven't come in pre season? give the lad more than an hour before you decide nah i want Austin :lol:

He's had an hour of playing time in pre season where he's spent most of it joining us and getting a visa. What he does at the moment really means f*** all to me, also he's got into more goalscoring positions than Cisse has in that 60 mins. The goals will come, what's the point in sticking with someone who hardly gets any chances because physically he's too easy to play against. He's shown enough he can be very effective, so what if the goals haven't come in pre season? give the lad more than an hour before you decide nah i want Austin :lol:

I want them both, I happen to think that too much will be expected of Mitrovic if he starts next week. The left back position is most pressing for me and going into the season without any semblance of a settled back four is asking for trouble.

There are big problems. The side lacks pace and cohesion in key areas and the defence is laughable. For instance when we lose the ball the whole midfield instead of narrowing up just wander about and do semi-jogs aimlessly back kind of...:lol:

SDJ is looking more a carthorse every time I see him.

There are big problems. The side lacks pace and cohesion in key areas and the defence is laughable. For instance when we lose the ball the whole midfield instead of narrowing up just wander about and do semi-jogs aimlessly back kind of...:lol:

SDJ is looking more a carthorse every time I see him.

Must be him Ashley was speaking of. Like five new signings.

One upfront doesnt work for me, we've not scored a single goal from a striker in 7 pre season games bar a penalty.

Goal v gateshead = Penalty.

Goal v Club Atlas = Sissoko on the break

Goal v Sacramento = Own goal

Portland Timbers = Aarons two special goals & cross for Wijnaldum

Sheffield united = Backpass for Wijnaldum & corner flick on for Dejong

York = Corner flick on.

Borussia = Nowt.

So only one goal in open play that didnt involve Rolando Aarons in 7 matches from Sissoko on the counter. Id rather we had two upfront & occupied the centre backs better, the forward is always isolated otherwise.

He's shown he can score goals for bang average sides. We look 3 or 4 weeks away from where we should be pre season, Soton could rip us to pieces next week.

He was one of the best strikers in the league last season before Kane started going nuts. Had 10 in 9 at one point, including goals against Man City, Arsenal & Southampton. He's a lot better than many people think for me, top striker in a poor side last season.