mackems vs Newcastle United - Sunday 25/10/15 12:00 (Sky Sports 1)

Greg

Think I agreed to go to this whilst p*ssed on Sunday. Sitting in their end. FML.

Good luck mate! Sit on your hands, dig your nails in your palms, imagine the four hour wait at A&E... do anything but celebrate when we score. If you lapse, try and turn your gazelle-like (ahem...) fist-pumping, "get-IN" yelling, celebratory leap, into a "fucking Geordie bastards!" Worked for me once...well, it at least delayed the inevitable  :knuppel2:

Given how poorly we retained the ball and had an obvious inability to deal with any sort of ball into the box I'm not particularly confident. There's no way they'll commit too many bodies forward so our best tactic of counter attacking won't be as effective.

Then again after a confidence boosting win we might actually just win one for a change.

Theoretically this should be piss easy, sit deep (not too deep though) and compact as a unit with the same team as Norwich then crucify them on the break.

The problem is, they will probably sit deep as well. Fat Sam will have seen the game on Sunday and there's no way he's going to leave space behind for us to hit them on the break. I still remember the defensive formations he had us in against Derby who were conceding 4 or 5 games every week before they played us.

Will be hard to win this as Alardarse will set them up deep and will chuck loads of long balls/wide balls into the box - both of which will exploit us massively.  We need to offer more protection against balls coming into the box, its been too easy so far this season - I cannot work out why that't not being addressed.  Then again, with Colback and Tiote as a central pair, its hardly surprising.

IF they give us any space, I think we will win this, if not, it will no doubt be a mistake or two that cost us any points.

Personally, I would like us to step up a bit and really push in the opening stages and get a goal or two - then keep that pressure on and not sink further and further back as per usual.

Much more worried about set pieces than long ball tactics. Have to stop giving away so many dangerous freekicks.

Also need to stop the crosses coming in at will like on Sunday. That was shambolic from both the full backs and the wide men.

My hands are sweating with nerves just reading this thread. Surely McClaren knows Allardyce inside out at this stage, as I'm sure most English managers would know each other's tendencies, and will realise that our biggest problem may come from wide areas. Pressing them up high would help prevent them getting the ball to their wingers and Full Backs and even allow us to turn the ball over in their half/third.

We have the better players and team, as always, but you just can't call it. I'm expecting a loss tbh, why would we expect anything else at this stage? I just want it to be over already. I'd take a draw, but considering we haven't beaten them in so long, that would irk me.

But let's be realistic, they have John O'Shea and Wes Brown vs Perez and Mitrovic.....we have a chance. Oh, and don't play Tiote (& Colback).

Theoretically this should be piss easy, sit deep (not too deep though) and compact as a unit with the same team as Norwich then crucify them on the break.

The problem is, they will probably sit deep as well. Fat Sam will have seen the game on Sunday and there's no way he's going to leave space behind for us to hit them on the break. I still remember the defensive formations he had us in against Derby who were conceding 4 or 5 games every week before they played us.

Fair point. With Mitrovic and Perez I'm pretty confident we could break them down as long as we can stop them breaking on us though. That will be the problem mind, we can't stop the other team doing shit when they try.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Since we've switched to the 442 against Chelsea we look more likely to score but also to concede at least 2 goals a game. It should make the derby more entertaining and thrilling for the neutrals but the outcome will be more unpredictable. We could thrash them or get thrashed.

My biggest worry for us is not having Krul, he has't been brilliant but I would feel much more confident with him between the sticks.

My biggest worry is bottling it again, just please turn up and throw all at them like Norwich- I can take any result if we turn up and try.