mackems vs Newcastle United - Sunday 25/10/15 12:00 (Sky Sports 1)

Greg

I'm trying to remember my predictions for each of the five previous fixtures, and I haven't predicted a defeat on any occasion barring the last one. I don't think we'll lose this time either, but I say it with a great deal more confidence this time.

Not only should the players' confidence be up,  it should be pretty damn high given the way we beat Norwich. The main problem in each of the previous Mackem defeats has been attitude. I'm not saying we should be triumphing the gravitas of the derby,  we just need to treat it like any other game and not be bricking it/unmotivated. They're shite, and we've got a few really good players - matchwinners maybe even. Go into the game like a group of professionals, with the mentality you'd expect from a Premier League team, and we should avoid defeat fairly comfortably.

We're full of players who don't turn up in derbies but, in McClaren, Mitrovic, Wijnaldum & Mbemba, there's four key individuals who've never lost this. They're untainted. They're highly influential too, let's hope their enthusiasm is infectious.

We're full of players who don't turn up in derbies but, in McClaren, Mitrovic, Wijnaldum & Mbemba, there's four key individuals who've never lost this. They're untainted. They're highly influential too, let's hope their enthusiasm is infectious.

get the feeling mitrovic might get red for murdering one of our own players if they perform as they have recently in this fixture

Look at the losses:

0-3 - di Canio, our players were shagged after UEFA cup QF loss, ended the game with 6 up front. Easy to forget Cisse had an equaliser incorrectly disallowed

2-1 Poyet arrives, we have Williamson and Dummett as our only centre halves. Ffs.

0-3. Cabaye leaves, everybody livid. Williamson and Taylor at CB

0-1. Pardew has everybody up front by the end, game where both sides missed a lot of chances. Alnwick in net.

1-0 Defoe wonder strike but awful game of football. Janmaat at CB with Williamson, Colback and R Taylor full backs.

Not excuses as we deserved to lose every one of those games with the possible exception of last seasons home defeat, but it will be nice if nothing goes awry in the run up to this one

Look at the losses:

0-3 - di Canio, our players were shagged after UEFA cup QF loss, ended the game with 6 up front. Easy to forget Cisse had an equaliser incorrectly disallowed

2-1 Poyet arrives, we have Williamson and Dummett as our only centre halves. Ffs.

0-1. Pardew has everybody up front by the end, game where both sides missed a lot of chances. Alnwick in net.

1-0 Defoe wonder strike but awful game of football. Janmaat at CB with Williamson, Colback and R Taylor full backs.

Not excuses as we deserved to lose every one of those games with the possible exception of last seasons home defeat, but it will be nice if nothing goes awry in the run up to this one

well, we've just had the best preparation we could possibly have had and everyone he wants to play in key positions is fit so it's time to this bollocks to bed really, considering how shite they are and all

I think we'll play well as we have ever since we went to playing Mitrovic and Perez together (yes I know we fell apart against City)  But signs were there and it continued against Norwich.

Whether that translate to a win I'm not sure but I don't think we'll see a repeat of those disgraceful performances under Pardew/Carver.

Look at the losses:

As you say in the first one we should have had a leveller. We sat back and they scored 3 from outside of the area.

The 2nd one was heading for a draw but Borini scored a great goal.

The 3rd one was like the first one, all the did was run at us and we backed off.

The 4th we were going all out for the win, got caught out at the back at the end, we were the better team.

The 5th, a wonder goal, but a shit match.

They have never actually out classed us, they have got the rub of the green a lot, but never actually outclassed us. Yes we played shit, mostly in the first 3 games, but they were not much better. I don't fear them as a team, I just fear that they will once again get all of the luck.

Look at the losses:

As you say in the first one we should have had a leveller. We sat back and they scored 3 from outside of the area.

The 2nd one was heading for a draw but Borini scored a great goal.

The 3rd one was like the first one, all the did was run at us and we backed off.

The 4th we were going all out for the win, got caught out at the back at the end, we were the better team.

The 5th, a wonder goal, but a s*** match.

They have never actually out classed us, they have got the rub of the green a lot, but never actually outclassed us. Yes we played s***, mostly in the first 3 games, but they were not much better. I don't fear them as a team, I just fear that they will once again get all of the luck.

This is my fear as well. We'll play ok but get done by a fortunate goal or a dodgy refereeing decision.

After the 6-2, not much point in talking about teams and formations. The only difference could be Tiote or at LB.

Instead its about approach and tactics. Top priority is not conceding one from a header at a corner. Maybe do some homework on set pieces Fatty used at West Ham. He'll know its a big weakness for us and a fancy one was the chance they showed on MOTD for the mackems against WBA. For that reason, I hope Dummett can play and McClaren can use Mitrovic defensively. They'll probably try and wind Mitro up, so tell him to remember he's needed at both ends of the pitch.

Aside from the should-be-obvious poor so far in attack and defence like us, some basic stats for them are 3 out of 8 scored from set pieces, fourth top in aerial duels won per game (we're bottom), second most yellows, bottom in crosses per game (Norwich were fourth top), and fifth top in long balls (Watford top). The style of play may well change from now with FSA though. From the numbers, they don't sound like the type of team who can get joy down the sides like Norwich did, but its all to easy to see Fletcher bullying Colo if they do.

Depends what ref turns up. I fully expect a penalty not given either end usually. Us having a equaliser disallowed unfairly  for offside. One of ours sent off for less than 15 of there fouls. I have no idea what the score will be though.

The worry is that Fat Sams team has one key tactic always and that is crossing. And we suck at dealing crosses. Can see them hitting long ball after long ball towards Coloccini. Lens will try to win free kicks from Janmaat alllll the game and Larsson or M'Vila will be whipping them in. Have no faith that our defense will deal with the set pieces..

Guest reefatoon

Got a funny feeling we will win this and score a few to boot. Not sure if I am still giddy from us scoring 3 months worth of goals in one game at the weekend though.

Got a funny feeling we will win this and score a few to boot. Not sure if I am still giddy from us scoring 3 months worth of goals in one game at the weekend though.

:lol: feel the same and have the same nagging thoughts about why! Does feel nice though, things might actually align for us, for once. Ideal pre-derby result, finally found a system that works, no major absentees enough new people in team whose  winning mentality hasn't been totally battered out of them. This could be good... this could be really good!

If we had a proper physical CB next to Mbemba who could dominate in the air, plus a goalkeeper who could command his penalty area I reckon we'd beat these comfortably.

What we do have back there scares me for a derby against this lot.