Jimmy Hill RIP

James

A man rightly revered around these parts, he took Coventry City from a Third Division team into a top flight team for the first time. From there he became the first regular pundit, firstly on The Big Match with the late and great Brian Moore before switching channels and taking Match of the Day over. During his time on The Big Match, whilst watching a game at Highbury, a linesman pulled a muscle and Jimmy volunteered to run the line, which he did in sky blue tracksuit [emoji38] .

While presenting MOTD, he came back to Coventry as Chairman, and built the country's first all-seater stadium whilst also purchasing an American club, Washington Diplomats he helped promote NASL, and indeed brought Steve Hunt to Coventry from the New York Cosmos. His greatest and proudest day in football came after he'd sold up at Coventry when they won the FA cup in 1987. I remember him closing Match of the Day with a rendition of the song to which he composed the lyrics in the 60s, The Sky Blue Song, with proud tears in his eyes. The City fans even today, still sing this song regularly. It is a testament to Jimmy HIll.

He continued to be a BBC pundit for the big games for years after until he retired.

He was a real innovator in football. All seater stadia, minimum wage for footballers and even three points for a win were all great things he could justifiably claim credit for.

Seriously, he will be sadly missed, especially in my home town, where he influenced so much for so long.

RIP.

As his time playing, managing, and even as a pundit was before my time there is little for me to remember him by. All that I can really remember was when he hosted the Sunday supplement show and that was a disgrace in the way the editors of the newspapers took away his ability to lead the topic of conversation and basically just had him sitting in the corner.

A man rightly revered around these parts, he took Coventry City from a Third Division team into a top flight team for the first time. From there he became the first regular pundit, firstly on The Big Match with the late and great Brian Moore before switching channels and taking Match of the Day over. During his time on The Big Match, whilst watching a game at Highbury, a linesman pulled a muscle and Jimmy volunteered to run the line, which he did in sky blue tracksuit [emoji38] .

While presenting MOTD, he came back to Coventry as Chairman, and built the country's first all-seater stadium whilst also purchasing an American club, Washington Diplomats he helped promote NASL, and indeed brought Steve Hunt to Coventry from the New York Cosmos. His greatest and proudest day in football came after he'd sold up at Coventry when they won the FA cup in 1987. I remember him closing Match of the Day with a rendition of the song to which he composed the lyrics in the 60s, The Sky Blue Song, with proud tears in his eyes. The City fans even today, still sing this song regularly. It is a testament to Jimmy HIll.

He continued to be a BBC pundit for the big games for years after until he retired.

He was a real innovator in football. All seater stadia, minimum wage for footballers and even three points for a win were all great things he could justifiably claim credit for.

Seriously, he will be sadly missed, especially in my home town, where he influenced so much for so long.

RIP.

As his time playing, managing, and even as a pundit was before my time there is little for me to remember him by. All that I can really remember was when he hosted the Sunday supplement show and that was a disgrace in the way the editors of the newspapers took away his ability to lead the topic of conversation and basically just had him sitting in the corner.

Not sure which post is more poignant here :(

RIP Jimmy Hill, very clearly one of the good guys and was obsessed with football and making it better.

I'm pretty sure he was the main advocate of 3 points for a win, which is now universal and taken for granted, but which began as a novelty. That proved to be a big encouragement towards attacking football, particularly away from home.

His manner did grate at times, but he was never a man afraid to back his opinions and innovate.

Guest firetotheworks

I remember him being on Match of the Day when I first got into football and along with Des Lynam and Alan Hansen, were the faces I associated with football. I liked Billy's words a lot.

Guest chicken little

rip jimmy "we have jokes where we call them niggers because they're black. why should that be any more of an offence than someone calling me chinny?" hill