Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

If Colback or Anita are still in out midfield after January I give in like :lol:

No reason at all for it to be the case.

Aye, the only conceivable reason would be if he sees it as too much of a risk to hoy Shelvey & Saivet in immediately and hope it clicks.

Risk worth taking though.

Guest reefatoon

Has Stifler cracked a Greggs joke for him yet, or is the deal still not close? I for one cannot wait for the hilarity of a steak bake gag.

I still don't think we've made these signings based on a certain shape or way we want to play, I think we've identified CM as a glaring hole and we're gonna let McC fit these two in in whatever manner he can.

If he continues with Gini LW and Colback in the center, I am not sure how these two signings will change things much for us :(

Don't think Shelvey seems much like a Carr inspired signing, seems like McClaren will have had a big say in this one.

My question is why didn't we get Cabaye then? :lol:

The price difference is completely negligible as well so it's not really a case of going for the cheaper option either.

Cabaye was a tremendous player technically, but we seem to overlook his lack of athleticism rather easily on here. I know he was a miles better footballer but he still had the same limitations that Anita and Colback have in that you have to play an extra midfielder to accommodate him because he's not built to go box to box.

They did have some inside info in the Freddy Shepherd days like, no doubt about that, they were very reliable back then for transfer news.  But ever since Ashley came in they know nowt more than we do.

Tiote and Sissoko are the obvious candidates to be moved on, although we'd have to be mad to let Sissoko go considering he's the one player who is consistently producing quality deliveries from all angles. De Jong might be a surprise candidate for departure considering he's not being picked despite being fit for two months now.

Tiote and Sissoko are the obvious candidates to be moved on, although we'd have to be mad to let Sissoko go considering he's the one player who is consistently producing quality deliveries from all angles. De Jong might be a surprise candidate for departure considering he's not being picked despite being fit for two months now.

Aye I don't think we'll look to sell Sissoko in January.  Wasn't it reported that we've offered him a 1 year extension with a pay rise so we can get a good fee for him after the Euro's?

If we let mousse go we are certain to be relegated imo

:thup:

He's ineffective a lot of the time, but the other times he isn't, and we sometimes get some goals and even the occasional point. A rare bird in our bag of shite team.

If we let mousse go we are certain to be relegated imo

:thup:

• He's ineffective a lot of the time, but the other times he isn't

, and we sometimes get some goals and even the occasional point. A rare bird in our bag of s**** team.

You should write scripts you're a natural :)

Shelvey  :lol:  we're completely f***ed man

You don't think he's far better than what we have?  I've never been his biggest fan (partly because he seems like a right tosser at times).  But he at least does have undoubted ability, even if he's inconsistent that still puts him way ahead of anyone we have in central midfield.

Not sure how much better, depends on his time of month from what I've seen. He does come across a prima donna tosser and I don't think he'll be any different. He's got the potential to be a right pain in the arse behind the scenes.

Shelvey  :lol:  we're completely f***ed man

You don't think he's far better than what we have?  I've never been his biggest fan (partly because he seems like a right tosser at times).  But he at least does have undoubted ability, even if he's inconsistent that still puts him way ahead of anyone we have in central midfield.

Not sure how much better, depends on his time of month from what I've seen. He does come across a prima donna tosser and I don't think he'll be any different. He's got the potential to be a right pain in the arse behind the scenes.

I think we have to realise that having 11 'nice-guys' on the pitch doesn't get us results. We need to grow up/mature as an organisation and be able to deal with prima donnas/'personalities'. Had we been able to do so, we would've kept Ben Arfa on the pitch and in the club.

Shelvey can run forward, make good passes in the final third and give us an occasional long range effort. Three things we don't have in our midfield currently. Dealing a prima donna is a small price to pay for these attributes.

i wonder if they have the sense to push this through before the weekend to (a) stop anyone else getting him and (b) to go into west ham with an entirely new midfield

having a new CM pairing go easily lead to us winning that match and could ultimately change the entire course of the season

they'll presumably fuck about a bit longer though

Actually played really well against Arsenal and we definitely missed that bit of physicality that he brings.  But he's always crocked, he still gets caught on the ball all the while and he's only suited to certain games.  Not really a reliable player. 

He's the obvious candidate to be moved on.  If we got Shelvey and Saivet in place of him.  Then I'm not too arsed TBH.  If we move Sissoko on.  We might as well down tools now.