Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I think Shelvey is very poor in the DM position without the ball, for me he needs to always sit higher up the pitch in the middle with someone behind him doing the protecting.

His best attributes is getting the ball and quickly moving it forward in a positive fashion. It's easy to criticise him for not being good at things he shouldn't need to do much.

I think Shelvey is very poor in the DM position without the ball, for me he needs to always sit higher up the pitch in the middle with someone behind him doing the protecting.

His best attributes is getting the ball and quickly moving it forward in a positive fashion. It's easy to criticise him for not being good at things he shouldn't need to do much.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Wijnaldum is dropped for the next few away games in order to play three in there, with Shelvey the most advanced. Assuming Tiote is still here, Colback will surely be used at left back unless Dummett is back so Saivet should play. When's Anita back?

If he's playing as a 2 in a 4-2-3-1 then he's going to have to do his fair share of defending instead of watching the ball go past him while pointing and shouting at teammates.  Tiote goes haring around the pitch and Shelvey is incapable of snuffing anything out in the middle once Tiote does that.

I'm not advocating dropping him as he's clearly the best passer but his positioning and his immobility is terrible when defending and I'd advocate playing Saivet alongside Tiote with Shelvey in the middle

If he's playing as a 2 in a 4-2-3-1 then he's going to have to do his fair share of defending instead of watching the ball go past him while pointing and shouting at teammates.  Tiote goes haring around the pitch and Shelvey is incapable of snuffing anything out in the middle once Tiote does that.

I'm not advocating dropping him as he's clearly the best passer but his positioning and his immobility is terrible when defending and I'd advocate playing Saivet alongside Tiote with Shelvey in the middle

Was about to say something similar to Ashley17. I don't mind Shelvey being the middle of the three behind the striker. From there he can really open things up for those around him.

Leave Tiote and Saivet to mop up and do the simple passing.

Was about to say something similar to Ashley17. I don't mind Shelvey being the middle of the three behind the striker. From there he can really open things up for those around him.

I said this last week, drop Wijnaldum and play Tiote / Saivet as the two in the middle with Shelvey advanced. If previous form is anything to go by McClaren might consider this in about March 2017.

I'm not advocating dropping him as he's clearly the best passer but his positioning and his immobility is terrible when defending and I'd advocate playing SaivetColback alongside Tiote with Shelvey in the middle

Leave Tiote and SaivetColback to mop up and do the simple passing.

I said this last week, drop Wijnaldum and play Tiote / SaivetColback as the two in the middle with Shelvey advanced. If previous form is anything to go by McClaren might consider this in about March 2017.

Right?

Cause y'know.. need that geordie pashun 'n that

/McClaren

Still waiting to see him driving forward with his good engine that I was told I'd been missing. Until then I stick to my original assessment before we bought. Great eye for a pass but will struggle and ultimately get frustrated in our team when we see little of the ball and are unable to keep it when we do.

Is Saivet better than Colback? I know he should be, and the fact if he isn't signing him was f***ing stupid, but wasn't he 'to replace Tiote'?

Saivet was our best player against Everton so obviously he's barely played since

Frustrating seeing this guy blame everyone else around him - even does it when he messes up.

Irks you a bit to have a player who actually gives a shit for a change? We haven't had that since Chris Hughton was manager.

Still waiting to see him driving forward with his good engine that I was told I'd been missing. Until then I stick to my original assessment before we bought. Great eye for a pass but will struggle and ultimately get frustrated in our team when we see little of the ball and are unable to keep it when we do.

Must admit I thought he had a good engine before we bought him, but since I've seen him much more he doesn't have one at all. He's quite slow and tends to look gassed around 70 mins in. He's ace on the ball when passing forward though, just can't be relied on running around much.

That would make sense. If Saivet didn't spend 90 mins sat on the bench.

Problem is we needed to sign some protection for the back 4 first of all. Tiote and Shelvey barely offer more than Anita and Colback for that.

Tiote, Saivet & Shelvey as a midfield 3 might work in away games? Mitrovic, Perez, Doumbia/Sissoko/Townsend up top.

For Stoke I would definitely play a 3 of Shelvey, Tiote and Saivet, with Sissoko and Townsend on the wing with Mitrovic up front and hope we can nick a draw or win

Problem is we needed to sign some protection for the back 4 first of all. Tiote and Shelvey barely offer more than Anita and Colback for that.

Tiote, Saivet & Shelvey as a midfield 3 might work in away games? Mitrovic, Perez, Doumbia/Sissoko/Townsend up top.

Agree with this and I think we'll see it at Stoke.  Colback will be in at left back, unless Dummett is fit.  In which case, Colback will be playing instead of Saivet.

This. An orthodox 433 seems like the way to go away from home. Beef up the middle of the park, and have Sissoko and Townsend help out the fullbacks when needed. Shelvey can play a bit more advanced with 2 sitting behind him. It's only slightly different to what we're currently doing with Wijnaldum in the hole supporting Mitrovic, but at least Shelvey can spot the killer pass whereas Wijnaldum doesn't seem to create much from those areas.

We don't really need proper width since we can't cross for shit.

Could be unpopular opinion time but I would definitely drop Wijnaldum for Stoke away and push Shelvey further forward with Saivet and Tiote screening the back 4.

The tactics and set up for away games this season has been horrific and clearly isn't working with Wijnaldum being the biggest luxury on the pitch for the majority of them.

or maybe we should have signed some defenders who can defend.