Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I think Shelvey gets hate because he's never been what we've needed him to be. When your formative years are spent watching Rob Lee, Gary Speed, and players that are leaders in midfield he's not going to compare well. He's a very gifted technical player. If you can get the ball to run through him then chances are you'll see some quality, but in the Premier League, with our squad, there's a battling element that he's never been great at. 

Where I cut him some slack is that when he's played in a highly organised or structured set-up he's done fairly well. It's only under McClaren and Bruce that he's looked his worst because those aforementioned flaws were even more exposed by poor tacticians. That said, he's had some dire moments where the flaws in his character come to the surface and I think a lot of folk see him as a personification of the Ashley era - only motivated when it suited him, happy to bank his big money, lacking in ambition. I've been pleased with some of the noises coming out of him lately in regards to wanting to help start this new era on the front foot even if he won't be here for the big moments.

I'm not keen to see him get a new deal, I'd rather wait until the summer for this stuff to be sorted, but if Howe believes this slow build project could benefit from him I'm happy to trust in that.  I would be surprised if we stayed up and he started the first game of the season.

He's ok if he can keep up his current form. There will be a transition period where we will have to retain some of the players. Besides the owners have shown good sense in the length of the contracts given out to the new signings. No more 6 year nonsense.

16 hours ago, Thiago said:

I think Shelvey gets hate because he's never been what we've needed him to be. When your formative years are spent watching Rob Lee, Gary Speed, and players that are leaders in midfield he's not going to compare well. He's a very gifted technical player. If you can get the ball to run through him then chances are you'll see some quality, but in the Premier League, with our squad, there's a battling element that he's never been great at. 

Where I cut him some slack is that when he's played in a highly organised or structured set-up he's done fairly well. It's only under McClaren and Bruce that he's looked his worst because those aforementioned flaws were even more exposed by poor tacticians. That said, he's had some dire moments where the flaws in his character come to the surface and I think a lot of folk see him as a personification of the Ashley era - only motivated when it suited him, happy to bank his big money, lacking in ambition. I've been pleased with some of the noises coming out of him lately in regards to wanting to help start this new era on the front foot even if he won't be here for the big moments.

I'm not keen to see him get a new deal, I'd rather wait until the summer for this stuff to be sorted, but if Howe believes this slow build project could benefit from him I'm happy to trust in that.  I would be surprised if we stayed up and he started the first game of the season.

Good call. For me, I love him for how imperfect he is. An enigma. 

He is the best passer in the team by a country mile which makes him stand out.  He also possesses a goal threat and I love watching him strike the ball - it’s pure at times. 

As for the greatest frustration - being camped close to the centre backs especially late in games and not contributing to passing moves further up the pitch. For Watford at home in the last 10 mins he formed a back 5 as the 3rd CB - clearly against instructions. It was really poor. 

But I still like him enough to remain in the squad. He needs to come out for Bruno this weekend. Howe needs an alternative to 4-3-3 to play Shelvey, Bruno, J7 with Willock further forward. 

12 minutes ago, Outremont said:

Good call. For me, I love him for how imperfect he is. An enigma. 

He is the best passer in the team by a country mile which makes him stand out.  He also possesses a goal threat and I love watching him strike the ball - it’s pure at times. 

As for the greatest frustration - being camped close to the centre backs especially late in games and not contributing to passing moves further up the pitch. For Watford at home in the last 10 mins he formed a back 5 as the 3rd CB - clearly against instructions. It was really poor. 

But I still like him enough to remain in the squad. He needs to come out for Bruno this weekend. Howe needs an alternative to 4-3-3 to play Shelvey, Bruno, J7 with Willock further forward. 

When Manquillo is fit I'd play

Dubs

Manky Schar Burn Targett

Joel Jonjo Bruno

Willock           ASM

Wood

Edited by Happinesstan

3 hours ago, LRD said:

He's ok if he can keep up his current form. There will be a transition period where we will have to retain some of the players. Besides the owners have shown good sense in the length of the contracts given out to the new signings. No more 6 year nonsense.

But he's still under contract for next season anyway isn't he? Do you really think we'll need him beyond that?

Reminds me of Scott Parker some respects. Never really appreciated, much less loved. (And I include myself among the indifferent).   

He's been quite good.  Still I don't think he'll get a new contract.  

I can see giving Schaar a contract. He's a good squad player, would be very useful in a back three, is suited to Howe's style of play, etc., etc. Replacing him with an equivalent could be a bit pricy with the Newcastle tax and all.

4 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Reminds me of Scott Parker some respects. Never really appreciated, much less loved. (And I include myself among the indifferent).   

He's been quite good.  Still I don't think he'll get a new contract.  

I can see giving Schaar a contract. He's a good squad player, would be very useful in a back three, is suited to Howe's style of play, etc., etc. Replacing him with an equivalent could be a bit pricy with the Newcastle tax and all.

Schar is another who I think would reject the chance to be a squad player. Good enough for 1st team in most European leagues. Needs to play to keep his international place.

23 minutes ago, TRon said:

But he's still under contract for next season anyway isn't he? Do you really think we'll need him beyond that?

The midfielders worth keeping are Joelinton, Bruno, Willock and current-form Shelvey. We could add a couple more in the summer but there are also other areas to reinforce too. Perhaps they are looking at the home-grown quota. I trust that any extension is of reasonable length.

9 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Schar is another who I think would reject the chance to be a squad player. Good enough for 1st team in most European leagues. Needs to play to keep his international place.

You're probably right. He'd do well in Italy. Still, the club can make an offer. The next will be his third World Cup. Maybe he'll be looking to retire from International football.

4 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

You're probably right. He'd do well in Italy. Still, the club can make an offer. The next will be his third World Cup. Maybe he'll be looking to retire from International football.

I'd definitely be looking to keep him, I just wouldn't hold it against him if he left. To think the likes of Dummett and Ritchie were tied down by Bruce and this guy was overlooked. It's fucking criminal. Not that he would have signed for Bruce, mind.

Unfashionable on here and Bruno's going to come in and make an impact at some point, but Shelvey's possibly becoming a bit of an underrated part of our recent run/since Howe came in. Had another solid, unspectacular match again I thought, just keeps us ticking over nicely.

Thought it was hilarious how he just fired every free kick straight at the goalkeeper. Tbh I don't fully hate it either, a hard shot at the keeper has a better chance of going in than his usual trick if firing it forty feet over the bar.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Unfashionable on here and Bruno's going to come in and make an impact at some point, but Shelvey's possibly becoming a bit of an underrated part of our recent run/since Howe came in. Had another solid, unspectacular match again I thought, just keeps us ticking over nicely.

When he is motivated and fit he can go on runs of good form like this.

We all know by now though that he can’t be relied on and it’s just a matter of time before something goes to shit. He’s basically our Granit Xhaka.