Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Guest firetotheworks

Unreal this. :lol:

I turned it off as soon as I saw the red card (my central heating needed adjusting) but the BBC have described it as such:

Newcastle midfielder Jonjo Shelvey, who has already been booked, gets a second yellow for a really horrible tackle on Idrissa Gueye in the 94th minute.

He doesn't contest it. He just runs off. Not good.

and

Newcastle's miserable night was compounded deep into injury time when Jonjo Shelvey was sent off for an ugly lunge on Idrissa Gueye.

I need to see it again, my stream might not have been detailed enough. Just the reactions about him never playing for us again tbh, Shelvey goes from hero to villain so often like.

I turned it off as soon as I saw the red card (my central heating needed adjusting) but the BBC have described it as such:

Newcastle midfielder Jonjo Shelvey, who has already been booked, gets a second yellow for a really horrible tackle on Idrissa Gueye in the 94th minute.

and

Newcastle's miserable night was compounded deep into injury time when Jonjo Shelvey was sent off for an ugly lunge on Idrissa Gueye.

:lol: I'll have to see it again like because it looked a genuine attempt to win the ball with one leg and I think he might actually have played it. Was it a straight red?

Guest ManDoon

The red is annoying and I'll hold my hands up if wasn't a foul, but generally he was so bad in the second half. There were times were he just stood there, not even trying to get on the ball. He needs to dictate play especially when we are in a bad spot and he wont/cant do it.

and

:lol: I'll have to see it again like because it looked a genuine attempt to win the ball with one leg and I think he might actually have played it. Was it a straight red?

2nd yellow.

and

2nd yellow.

Just re-read it :lol:

Though it was like, confused by them describing it as a 'horrible lunge'. I'll have to watch it again like.

Guest ManDoon

Everton full on Allardyced us in the 2nd half like. He wasn't good but we've struggled to break teams down for years, we desperately need a number 10 who isn't fucking pitiful.

that was the thing about having someone like Ben Arfa, in shit games like that he could dig something random out. We dont have a single player who can now

He didn't have a great game, but I didn't think he did anything wrong with that tackle tbh. Slightly irresponsible, but it wasn't a yellow and Atkinson couldn't fucking wait to dish it out.

First tackle wasn’t a yellow (if it was then the majority of the Everton team should have been sent off for their challenges).

I don’t think his 2nd foul was much of a foul or even a yellow card. The thing is though we can’t be having a go at players trying their best to win the ball back deep into stoppage time when we are losing.

We need his quality short-term, but needs getting rid in the summer.

He's done nought this season - needs to be sold and someone with a brain brought in.  Cannot rely on him to provide the creative spark we're missing.

He didn't have a great game, but I didn't think he did anything wrong with that tackle tbh. Slightly irresponsible, but it wasn't a yellow and Atkinson couldn't f***ing wait to dish it out.

First tackle wasn’t a yellow (if it was then the majority of the Everton team should have been sent off for their challenges).

I don’t think his 2nd foul was much of a foul or even a yellow card. The thing is though we can’t be having a go at players trying their best to win the ball back deep into stoppage time when we are losing.

From where we are (Strawberry Corner) it looked like he had got the ball for the first but, whether he had or not, the fact that he was on a yellow made the second challenge moronic.

A cynic might suggest he didn't much fancy the next two games... :whistle:

Feel a bit sorry for him tbh. He was booked initially on reputation alone. The thing is, if he doesn't make those tackles, particularly the last one, he is moaned at by fans for not putting effort in and being unwilling to get stuck in. But when he makes the challenge, referees are so much more likely to punish him even if, as seen tonight, the tackle is unworthy of the punishment. Kind of a weird limbo for him.

Sadly for Shelvey another suspension only strengthens that perception in referees and it's likely to play a part again in the future. Regardless, one of the first names on the team sheet for me. One of few players currently with real, genuine quality in our squad. Sure, he's been sent off again, but trying to win the ball back to hopefully give us one last chance to win the game? I can certainly forgive him for that.

Agree, it doesn't annoy me that he wanted to get something so much he went for the second tackle. I'd have been more annoyed if he let the guy run the ball to the line no hassle.

Everton sat back and made it difficult, we ran out of ideas. Our best attack actually came via Shelvey going past a man on the wing and whipping it in. So think people are being a bit harsh. Rafa may see it differently though.

I've heard a fair few comments about the second yellow ranging from 'good tackle, he got the ball' to 'he is a brain dead cunt, sell him now!'

The first was clearly a yellow and it was a take one for the team type tackle, as Lennon was off on a counter and nobody in our team seems to have any pace, bar Yedlin.  So I don't have that much of a problem with it.  The second is a bit needless and it is clearly a bit of frustration on his part.  But if he just makes no challenge and they stroll through to just kill the game.  He would have got pelters from some fans as well. 

In conclusion.  I'm not ready for him to be tarred and feathered just yet.

Incredibly poor from the ref to book him the second time. Just use some common sense. It's the last ten seconds of the game and he's trying to win the ball back. It wasn't dangerous so just call a foul and blow full time.

The ref was shit all game though so no surprise. Without getting too paranoid, we just never get the rub of the green.

Guest neesy111

Don't agree with the disgrace obvs but those stats are dreadful

We've only gained 1 point when he's started a match, vs Liverpool.