Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Guest Howaythetoon

Let’s not get carried away FFS :lol: he’s had 2 very good games lately but mainly been rank to average this season. If he goes to Russia and starts a game I’d be wanting a game... Henderson is a much better player for example and Liverpool missed him today.

I’ve got the real life Viz Fat Slags who sit behind me and the one I’ve named Shaz absolutely hates Shelvey. He must have rubbed her up the wrong way down the Bigg Market. If it’s you and you’re reading this will you please just stay in The Bee Hive and save my ears from bleeding anymore.

Guest Howaythetoon

There's not a chance I'd take him to the World Cup btw. He's been very poor/average for much of the season.

A few decent games shouldn't completely change the longer term picture.

We're one mistimed tackle away from some saying he should never play for Newcastle again, never mind England.

He's earned that type of response from his complete ill discipline and general performance levels tbf.

You can rewrite history off the back of an ok six weeks if you want, I won't though.

I want an upgrade (not going to get ever) he's too inconsistent, not just rid without anyone else in. Still do, I don't think he's consistent enough for a team hoping to do better than scrape along bottom of the premier league. He is capable of being better than that but not reliably.

Still, for all that, good game today, hope he keeps it up

During the goal celebrations today while the players were celebrating together, the TV coverage showed Shelvey in conversation with Rafa on the touchline.  It happened three times so it has to be a planned activity.

To me that shows a great focus on the game from Shelvey in not letting the celebration distract him from what needs to happen next.  Its always important not to let your guard down after scoring and letting the other team back into the game, so I loved seeing then focus on what they needed to do settle down again and "bank" the goal and then push on for the next one.

Guest Howaythetoon

That clipped curved ball he played that put Gayle through was sublime, shame he miscontrolled it.

On form and focused he is arguably the best midfielder in the country. Certainly in his role. I would be shocked if he was even in the periphery thinking for England though. He has too much to prove in regards to discipline. Last 3 games have been fantastic though. If he kept that through to seasons end he may be a dark horse for the summer but still unlikely imo.

Guest Howaythetoon

I look at Jordan Henderson who I never used to rate and what he gives to the Liverpool team. That’s what Shelvey needs to start doing game by game. Henderson has cut out the Hollywood ball and now plays it simple while still being able to play a killer ball if need be. He’s more mobile than Shelvey, however, and a bette tackler. He’s now a consistent performer for Liverpool and a key player, they missed him against Man Utd. Shelvey has a long way to go, but bossing the midfield against Man Utd and Southampton is encouraging. I still think if you get tight to him or don’t give him any time on the ball, he doesn’t have much more in his locker to stamp his mark on a game. He needs to start adding goals to his game as well, but he rarely gets to within 20 yards of goal, most of his play is from deep.