Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Both he and Bruno covered the cut back into the box really well. Often seemed to anticipate it and be in the right place when they were tracking back. 

After a shaky start, he looked really good. What is more impressive, that it was mainly due to his defensive work. Not for his quality passing or anything. Although that delightful cross for Wood’s goal obviously helped.

I thought he looked better having someone next to him in a more conventional midfield and not playing on his own in front of the centre backs. 

Guest HTT II

Massive work ethic, but average overall for me. Romeu bossed him and showed him how to do all that defensive work, spray simple passes about and not get caught in possession or ball watching. 

Guest HTT II

I do like how it seems his finger pointing (to others) seems to have disappeared from his game. It’s like his mind is now occupied with what he has to do rather what others have to or should. That’s always been an issue with his game.

Apart from when he was dispossessed in the first half, he had a solid game. A 100 times what he was under Bruce!

Good cross for the goal and was a decent outlet most of the time. 

We can´t ask him to be a defensive destroyer because he will never be that, but his positional play and covering of passing lines was pretty good yesterday. I actually thought the link up with Bruno was very good.

P.S. We sorely missed the power pack that is Joe Linton in midfield, they won too many of the disputes in the middle, and oreol had too easy a game for me.

7 hours ago, Nine said:

Some sloppy moments tonight but overall he had another good game, what a ball in for Wood.

I’d also add it took a bit time for him and Bruno to not keep gravitating towards the same spot on the pitch. There were times in the first half they were practically on top of each other.

Both need a fast Tiote type player alongside them due to their physical shortcomings. It’s going to fascinating to see how EH blends his midfield over the next 14 months.

6 hours ago, buzza said:

Apart from when he was dispossessed in the first half, he had a solid game. A 100 times what he was under Bruce!

That one looked like a hospital pass out from Dan Burn I think it was. It forced Shelvey into trying to poke it past Romeu, which didn't come off.

Just on our first goal, but credit also to Targett and Fraser for working an overload on the left side. When it came back to Shelvey, there was no pressure on him. 

Guest HTT II
2 hours ago, Stottie said:

That one looked like a hospital pass out from Dan Burn I think it was. It forced Shelvey into trying to poke it past Romeu, which didn't come off.

Just on our first goal, but credit also to Targett and Fraser for working an overload on the left side. When it came back to Shelvey, there was no pressure on him. 

To be fair to him, in that moment, he clearly tried to side step his opponent in that very small time frame from getting the ball, being closed down, and seeing space in front of him and it would work more often than not, just the opposition player read it and took it off him, and then he was too slow to react to do anything about it. It was a clever idea in his mind I must say, and something I enjoy seeing someone try. Good stuff from their player too.

Edited by HTT II

Can't fault him really, he's played well in that role as much as he's physically capable, might even have earned himself a contract extension as a squad player. I still think he's fighting Bruno for that spot in midfield though, and I don't think he'll win that fight beyond this season.

Guest ManDoon

Needs legs/athleticism around him but he has Defo upped his work rate, and is taking easier passes than his usual 40 yard into the stands ones 

I think after his apology it serves no purpose to pick apart every minute of his performance on Thursday as you'd be disappointed with anything but faultless. 

Instead, I saw a player put his body on the line, organised the midfield, and ultimately produce a moment of quality on the ball when the chips were down. 

Edited by Thiago

Loved his comment post-match when asked about relegation; “we’re not looking down, we’re only looking up, we want to finish as high as we can”

Another master-stroke from Howe, getting everyone at the club to look at our situation like that. 

On 11/03/2022 at 12:41, TRon said:

Can't fault him really, he's played well in that role as much as he's physically capable, might even have earned himself a contract extension as a squad player. I still think he's fighting Bruno for that spot in midfield though, and I don't think he'll win that fight beyond this season.

As much as I'm surprised by his phoenix  like rebirth I agree.  Assuming a 3 man MF I don't think there is anything Shelvey can do that Bruno won't do better.

We did (miss him), and that concerns me a bit cos I can't be arsed with another season of him being one of the first names on the teamsheet. Hopefully we see more clever investment in the CM in the summer. 

We’ll buy two CMs I think. 

Hard to say if Shelvey would have helped much. Willock and Joelinton do lead to a lack of structure in the team, but then again today’s game was so frantic and fast that I’m not sure Shelvey would have been able to help that much.