Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

2 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Think we'd probably offer him an extra year regardless. I think he'll play a lot more this season than people seem to think. 

Agree, he's one of those players who seem to have locked in for life here, I think Jacob Murphy's another one who scored for a 6 year contract or something like that.

Tbf, Shelvey's not a bad player, I can definitely see him being used quite a lot for the next season or so before we upgrade across all areas of the pitch. He's a decent squad player.

5 hours ago, Dokko said:

Desperate for those 3 appearances and then he can relax back in to his comfort zone.

Fair play if not, but I can see it from a mile off.

He would get those 3 appearances no matter how fit he was returning from the summer break.

13 hours ago, TRon said:

Agree, he's one of those players who seem to have locked in for life here, I think Jacob Murphy's another one who scored for a 6 year contract or something like that.

Tbf, Shelvey's not a bad player, I can definitely see him being used quite a lot for the next season or so before we upgrade across all areas of the pitch. He's a decent squad player.

He can move the ball on quickly,and forward.I’d keep him for another year and see how we do.

Howe confirmed Shelvey’s issue after the game at the Estadio da Luz

“Jonjo, it looks like a hamstring problem,” the 45-year-old said. “I don’t know any more than that at the moment. Really disappointing, he’s worked so hard to keep himself fit and be in a good place physically. Any injury would be a blow to him and for us, so fingers crossed it’s not bad.

Looks like it was a hamstring injury rather than a knee, so good news in that respect, hopefully the hamstring injury isn't severe.

6 hours ago, KaKa said:

Looks like it was a hamstring injury rather than a knee, so good news in that respect, hopefully the hamstring injury isn't severe.

Turns out Steve Bruce was right all along as Howe is overtraining the players and systematically breaking them down. Unbelievable!

21 minutes ago, greydos said:

Turns out Steve Bruce was right all along as Howe is overtraining the players and systematically breaking them down. Unbelievable!

Or Shelvey's been doing gym work during the summer break without maintaining flexibility.

Guest reefatoon

I thought it was his knee mind. Looked like he caught/kicked the heel of the player and jarred his knee.

Edited by reefatoon

he was playing really well last night, very composed on the ball and a couple of his over the top raking passes were very close to making a difference.

he covered a decent bit of ground as well, actually looked faster than normal or maybe a bit thinner...

6 hours ago, buzza said:

he was playing really well last night, very composed on the ball and a couple of his over the top raking passes were very close to making a difference.

he covered a decent bit of ground as well, actually looked faster than normal or maybe a bit thinner...

Agreed....and not afraid of the ball, like so many of our squad.

17 hours ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, if he was a player who could really sprint and relied on it this would be bad news. 

6 hours ago, buzza said:

Certainly looked fitter towards the end of last season.

Guest HTT II

Before his injury, I thought he looked really good last night, sharp, quick, pressing, nice quick early balls that were short and not the Hollywood type, yes he sat on top of the defence, but it allowed them an out as they could play into him. Hopefully his injury isn’t a serious one, mind I’d worry if we are starting with him next season or if he’s a regular starter. That’s the sharpest I’ve seen him given it was a friendly!

Just now, HTT II said:

Before his injury, I thought he looked really good last night, sharp, quick, pressing, nice quick early balls that were short and not the Hollywood type, yes he sat on top of the defence, but it allowed them an out as they could play into him. Hopefully his injury isn’t a serious one, mind I’d worry if we are starting with him next season or if he’s a regular starter. That’s the sharpest I’ve seen him given it was a friendly!

He also put one a plate for Murphy after doing this not long before his injury.

1 minute ago, St1pe said:

Given they way we’ve played this is a pretty big blow for the start of the season. 

I wonder if he’ll play Bruno deeper?

Would guess that maybe Longstaff will play the Shelvey role