Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Interesting. 

As others have said him and Bruno are the midfielders with an eye for a pass, but I think Bruno is more short smart passes and Shelvey is those range finders. Having that combination is ideal on nights like this to test the defence. 

FWIW I think Howe picking the right players for each match is the right way to go. It definitely wasn't Joelinton or Willock's night tonight, but the front 3 were bad, even Fraser, so that'll have had a knock on effect as well

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Maybe he'll be a bit less underappreciated now. 

Maybe. On the other hand we should probably have won both the last two games, and I'm not sure we didn't because he was missing.

Having him and Bruno play together will definitely improve our possession, and that is something we missed yesterday. Joelinton and Willock don’t have the technical skills for a possession-type play. Before you jump on me, see Willock’s stats here: https://editfootball.co.uk/wyayescout-player-analysis-joe-willock-20-21/#:~:text=Compared to other central midfielders,shots on target (57.1%). he is better at shooting and defending, poor at passing. 

Once Shelvey is back, playing him with Bruno and Joelinton will definitely improve our command of midfield instead of the blind crossing we saw yesterday. 

Definitely a miss yesterday, Bruno looked class but with Shelvey there he would have been able to thread passes higher up the pitch and they both are calm on the ball. Just not sure how you would fit them both in a team and then be without Joelinton's strength and work rate but a big miss for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Not having a go like as I’m delighted we won and there’s nothing particularly to criticise him about but I barely remember him touching the ball all game. Did I just miss it or was he barely involved apart from deep in our own half a few times 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Not having a go like as I’m delighted we won and there’s nothing particularly to criticise him about but I barely remember him touching the ball all game. Did I just miss it or was he barely involved apart from deep in our own half a few times 

He’s just not good enough and needs replacing in the summer 

Thought he was pretty quiet bar the balls over the top. Lots of him and Bruno moving into the same areas for the ball off the centre backs which is sort of to be expected I guess. 

He wasn't called upon to do much, but when he was he stepped up. An unremarkable performance, but nothing to complain about.

Somebody mentioned, before the game that there might be the risk of Shelvey and Bruno stepping on each others toes, and I think Jonjo's instructions may have covered this. He basically allowed Bruno to take control.

Edited by Happinesstan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest reefatoon
25 minutes ago, mofo said:

Did he NOT take the knee yesterday? I wasn't paying special attention but when I looked over I'm sure he was the only one standing??

he never did properly. Always done some random old man squat who has knackered knees and can’t get down on them. He didn’t even bother doing that yesterday and just sort of bent a bit. 

1 hour ago, mofo said:

Did he NOT take the knee yesterday? I wasn't paying special attention but when I looked over I'm sure he was the only one standing??

Does it matter? I don’t blame him. It’s a virtue signalling gesture. More meaningful and practical things to do than this.