Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

He often hasn't made his mind up as to where he's going to pass until he has the ball.

TCD just saying random things and hoping they make sense again :lol:

Understand what he means tbh. If you watch a lot of the top players they know before they get the ball whether they are going to try something spectacular or just keep it simple. Shelvey often takes a touch, then looks up and then just plays the simple pass because there's nothing on wasting a bit of time. We know that he can do it in the Premier League if given time and space like against West Ham last season but he was lacking towards the end of last season and it remains to be seen whether Rafa has improved him that much until we get back to the PL

Hans purposely being slow.

You see it all the time with a player like Carrick. Control - pass. Or first time. He knows what he wants to do before the ball is at his feet. So it's harder to disrupt his rhythm. In the PL last season that didn't seem to be the case a lot of the time with Shelvey. But that was a bad team with a losing mentality.

Last season Shelvey was just bad though. He couldn't be arsed and he was playing in a bad side. I expect him to improve because he's showing now that he's far too good in the Championship and he's shown previously that he can be a really good player in the Premiership. His passing and vision obviously key to that.

I don't expect him to turn into Mesut Ozil.

Last season Shelvey was just bad though. He couldn't be arsed and he was playing in a bad side. I expect him to improve because he's showing now that he's far too good in the Championship and he's shown previously that he can be a really good player in the Premiership. His passing and vision obviously key to that.

Shelvey himself has said he gets a load more time and space at this level.

His vision is almost as good as it gets, at any level of football and his passing his excellent.

His attitude is questionable, along with his physical capabilities. He's improved on both scores this year though.

Basically, if you can get someone athletic to play alongside him, your laughing. Needless to say, ginger pubes isn't the answer.

exactly this  O0

if Hayden can progress he could be the answer, if not we need to buy if we go up.

He's never shown that over a full season or even half a season though has he?

Shelvey himself has said he gets a load more time and space at this level.

"Shelvey has ridiculous time on the ball down here"

I've said that on this page. It's obvious to see, he's basically allowed to do what he wants so he does. I think he probably needs to dial back the number Hollywood balls he plays but he can play the ball quickly when he wants. He's never going to give and receive the ball like Xavi Hernandez but he's not slow.

I dunno, he did play well in periods though and got into the England side where he was also good. He turned to shit and carried that on to us - I thought he was absolutely shite last season, I'm not going to defend him for it. Just think it's pretty clear he has a lot of actual talent and his ability to spot a pass is top drawer.

Watching the link up between him and Gayle this season is lush at times. You'll often see Gayle just peel away from the defence expecting Shelvey to find him.

Was a key part to Swansea finishing 8th

why cant we enjoy the present.

there's been so much negativity over the years that even now we're looking to put dampeners and negative spin on any positive situation.

lets leave it for the summer and enjoy this season while it lasts.

:thup:

If he keeps up his attitude and professionalism (i.e. he's doesn't start going out and getting pissed all the time again like he was when he arrived last season), he'll be a big asset for us in the Premier League next season. He's got he ability, all bout having the right environment for him and correct application.

Guest neesy111

I'm guessing it's easier for him to motivate himself when he has the best team in the league around him etc, guessing if/when we go up and it gets a lot tougher then we'll find out with his attitude has changed for good.

I dunno, he did play well in periods though and got into the England side where he was also good. He turned to shit and carried that on to us - I thought he was absolutely shite last season, I'm not going to defend him for it. Just think it's pretty clear he has a lot of actual talent and his ability to spot a pass is top drawer.

Watching the link up between him and Gayle this season is lush at times. You'll often see Gayle just peel away from the defence expecting Shelvey to find him.

He does have loads of ability on the ball, aye and he's probably the best player in the championship. We'll just have to wait and see how he does next season I suppose

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jonjo-shelvey-misconduct-charge-latest-12315937

Rafa Benitez insists Jonjo Shelvey is a “key player” for Newcastle United - though the Magpies are gearing themselves up for the prospect of losing the midfielder for an extended period.

The 24-year-old’s personal Football Association disciplinary hearing is scheduled to take place early next week, with Shelvey having pleaded not guilty to his aggravated misconduct charge for alleged use of abusive and insulting words towards a Wolverhampton Wanderers player.

Though Shelvey maintains his innocence and has the club’s full backing in his defence, privately it is believed that Newcastle fear the England international will lose his appeal.

Benitez will be able to select Shelvey against both Wigan Athletic on Wednesday evening and Burton Albion on Saturday but, should the midfielder be found guilty at his hearing, a minimum five-match ban awaits.

That would rule Shelvey out of at least four Championship matches during the latter part of the hectic festive schedule, as well as the FA Cup clash with Birmingham City next month.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jonjo-shelvey-misconduct-charge-latest-12315937

Rafa Benitez insists Jonjo Shelvey is a “key player” for Newcastle United - though the Magpies are gearing themselves up for the prospect of losing the midfielder for an extended period.

The 24-year-old’s personal Football Association disciplinary hearing is scheduled to take place early next week, with Shelvey having pleaded not guilty to his aggravated misconduct charge for alleged use of abusive and insulting words towards a Wolverhampton Wanderers player.

Though Shelvey maintains his innocence and has the club’s full backing in his defence, privately it is believed that Newcastle fear the England international will lose his appeal.

Benitez will be able to select Shelvey against both Wigan Athletic on Wednesday evening and Burton Albion on Saturday but, should the midfielder be found guilty at his hearing, a minimum five-match ban awaits.

That would rule Shelvey out of at least four Championship matches during the latter part of the hectic festive schedule, as well as the FA Cup clash with Birmingham City next month.

Hmm.

"Privately it is believed that Newcastle fear" that is the key bit of that sentence, it is not saying that newcastle privately fear he will lose, of course they fear it, it is not known whether he will win or lose, sensible to fear him being suspended, but anyway what it is saying that privately some third party believe that newcastle fear this. It can't be the Chron as they publicly believe newcastle fear the obvious. WHO SUSPECTS NEWCASTLE DONT WANT TO LOSE SHELVEY BUT WON'T SAY IT OUT LOUD