Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Guest HTT II

It’s a shame for him after the hard work he’s put in to get himself in the best shape he’s ever been in, however, I’ll say this, it’s probably as a result of not training in the same way and keeping himself in the best shape possible throughout his career that the minute he does, he picks up a serious injury. A lesson to be learned perhaps.

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

It’s a shame for him after the hard work he’s put in to get himself in the best shape he’s ever been in, however, I’ll say this, it’s probably as a result of not training in the same way and keeping himself in the best shape possible throughout his career that the minute he does, he picks up a serious injury. A lesson to be learned perhaps.

This

Reading some of these comments it seems to me the genuine concerns & disappointment felt by Shelveys injury is a barometer of the togetherness Eddie Howe has engendered around the club & fans, dare I say 12 months ago there would be some completely unbothered / quietly pleased about this type of injury to him, especially under Bacon boys toxic time here.

Fairly sure he will (unlike previous times in his career) be doing everything he can to be back as soon as possible 

41 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Think it was just unfortunate in the way he went in for that challenge. He didn’t appear to overstretch. He had a personal trainer with him over the pre preseason, and in Turkey when he was on “holiday”. Wife has a friend who was in the same holiday and posted a photo with him, Shelvey in socks and sliders. His preparation looks spot on, if you’re saying he was more likely to pick up an injury as he was more conditioned that might be true.

He was already looking in better shape under Howe and the medical team would have individual plans for players to improve fitness/ conditioning to reduce the risk of injury.

Guest HTT II
Just now, Tsunami said:

Think it was just unfortunate in the way he went in for that challenge. He didn’t appear to overstretch. He had a personal trainer with him over the pre preseason, and in Turkey when he was on “holiday”. Wife has a friend who was in the same holiday and posted a photo with him, Shelvey in socks and sliders. His preparation looks spot on, if you’re saying he was more likely to pick up an injury as he was more conditioned that might be true.

He was already looking in better shape under Howe and the medical team would have individual plans for players to improve fitness/ conditioning to reduce the risk of injury.

That’s what I’m saying, it’s well known by fitness experts if you suddenly start going from unfit to super fit you’re likely to pick up an injury or two. I’m surprised we haven’t had more under Howe given how unfit we were under cabbage head. That might suggest he and his staff know how to manage their fitness levels to minimise that. Again it’s a shame for him, I don’t and never have rated him, but he was very good for us I thought under Howe last season, a key player. I’ve said I won’t go hard on our players this season, but I do hope this will be his final season in our colours and we upgrade on not only him, but a few others. 

The impact Eddie has had on Jonjo is incredible. From the piss taking when Howe came in about how Shelvey would struggle to him going abroad to get fit ahead of the season instead of going away and relaxing. Fair play to the lad, I’m gutted that he’s picked up a bad injury. 

He’s still got a big part to play this season. 

I used to loathe Shelvey, I mean everything about him.. but he did turn things around last season and was visibly putting in more of a shift, none of the previous managers (including Rafa) could get that out of him, but he’s obviously bought into what Howe is trying to do. But then on the flip side, why should a player be that difficult to motivate?

I’ve never doubted his passing ability, it’s one of the best in the league, it was his overall contribution when we didn’t have the ball. Letting players just glide by and then getting sent off needlessly. I really thought he was done after that first game after the takeover. But he came back well and did his part for the team. Then in pre season he was looking in his best shape since signing for the club, it’s a shame really as we might have seen what he’s really capable of.

Too soon to say he’s finished at the club but depending on who else comes in, it might be difficult for him getting back in the team.

On 10/08/2022 at 13:25, tomlynnherrington said:

For someone who’s never looked up to pace,why has he chosen to use a personal trainer now? I stand corrected if he’s always used a one since he signed for us.

I’m pretty sure it’s not the first preseason he has put in extra work to improve his fitness. Recall similar interview/blurb in the past,  maybe pre Bruce days? 

2 hours ago, tomlynnherrington said:

It’s never showed in the past.If he is out for 12 weeks,I would imagine we’ve seen the last of him.

The rest of the season runs from January to May. He’ll be back im sure. 

2 hours ago, LV said:

The rest of the season runs from January to May. He’ll be back im sure. 

He’ll be over his injury but if he isn’t going to figure in Eddie’s long term plans,and I cannot see that happening,there’s no way he’ll play enough games to trigger a years extension to his current contract.If he returns in January he’ll have lost the extra fitness he’s gained by having a private trainer.