Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Howaythetoon

It also shows you how insular the game is here in England when it comes to the National manager, players and the England team. If someone is tearing it up the the Championship they shouldn't be ignored. Its not at the level of the PL, but its not Scotland or the Dutch league. Its quite tough, competitive and there are some good players.

Townsend is a Premier League player, well above average, playing in the Championship shouldn't prevent an England manager from selecting such a player, especially if he is performing well. When it comes to the national team though its not about form, but about who you play for and name.

Rooney for example should have been dropped long ago and so should a good few others as well. Meanwhile the likes of Rashford and co should have been given more game time.

It was interesting to hear Dyer speak about KK recently in that he was brave enough to pick players based on what he saw with his own two eyes in training or how he thought they could help the team rather than on name and who they played for.

Me I'd drop half the current team and never play them again. Bring in younger and hungrier players.

Guest Howaythetoon

Didn't England have one of the, if not the youngest squad at the Euros?

But did he play them all or most of them? Not sure myself as I hardly took notice to be honest.

He also knows that he has more chance of playing for England in the Premier League than the Championship due to the bizarre selection process of this country.

It's not that bizarre like, nor is it exclusive to just this country.

I didn't say it was exclusive to this country, but I do think it is bizarre.

If a player is good enough to play for the international team, then he is good enough - it doesn't matter which team, league or country they play their football in imo.

Right but I suppose the issue is around the standard of football you are consistantly being challenged by & the jump to international standard again. You could adapt to certain things being less complicated at lower level, even if you're able to make the step up. Might be harder to do it quickly for one off games.

Guest Howaythetoon

There's no jump in standard between the Championship and playing Scotland, Malta, Slovakia, etc.

I think a good chunk of European international football at least is at a comparable level but raised only because of the level of competition be it a Euro or WC qualifier. Slovakia vs Slovenia is comparable to say Derby vs Wolves for me.

That's why England race through qualifiers because the level is generally that well below of the PL.

If Rafa Benitez could do a season in the Championship, then so should Townsend.

Yes he could have. But he should have? Nah. He's a commodity who spent 6 months here. We agreed with him upon his arrival that he would be allowed to leave should we go down. Everything went as expected.

Would you be angry and hate on rafa if he had chosen not to stay? He would have probably been a lot better off jumping ship tbh.

Guest neesy111

Yes he could have. But he should have? Nah. He's a commodity who spent 6 months here. We agreed with him upon his arrival that he would be allowed to leave should we go down. Everything went as expected.

Would you be angry and hate on rafa if he had chosen not to stay? He would have probably been a lot better off jumping ship tbh.

It's our own fault for putting that clause into his contract.

he may not have come without that clause, but regardless, no doubt he'd be coming back to the PL (assuming he stayed and we come back up) a better player than where he is now with Palace.

he may not have come without that clause, but regardless, no doubt he'd be coming back to the PL (assuming he stayed and we come back up) a better player than where he is now with Palace.

:thup:

Also bit of a difference between a manager spending a year in the Championship and a player

Also bit of a difference between a manager spending a year in the Championship and a player

The biggest difference being the manager being one of the greatest in the modern era, while Townsend was rotting in the reserves at Spurs and is now at his 12th club in his career at the age of 26. Crystal fucking Palace led by Alan Pardew.

• 1 month later...

I have to say mind, it deserves the stupid cunt right.

Agree completely.

We all wanted him to stay here, Rafa transformed him toward the end  & got the best out of him. And what does he do,chooses to leave less than 6 months. Happened to many a departing player looking to ignite their careers at so called better clubs, noticed it with lots of our sales, they go onto do nothing. A list as long as my arm. One or two actually have full filled ambition.

Can understand him wanting to play in the Premiership BUT it was obvious playing under Pardew would not end well and it would prove to be such a short sighted move.

Plus he plays in the exact same position as their fans favourite player