Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Got a message from my Spurs supporting mate today it read.

"£12m?! Hahahaha"

Luckily that means absolutely nothing.

Other than the Spurs fan thinks he's shit.

Newcastle fans think Sissoko is shit. How about we give him a chance before we all call him shit?

My thinking he's mediocre is not in any way related to how many chances he'll have in the NUFC team, so you needn't worry about that.

And his back catalogue of work doesn't just go out of the window because he's signed for NUFC, so I shall continue to be uninspired by him.

All competitions since Obertan arrived in England:

Obertan:

5988 minutes played (66 full games)

Goals - 4

Assists - 14

Townsend:

5915 minutes played (65 full games)

Goals - 11

Assists - 15

Not great for either, but until I see Townsend I'll assume he's better than Obertan anyway, he's got to be :lol:

A fairly significant amount of those Townsend appearances must be in the lower leagues if it's since Obertan came here?  Quite impressed you managed to find his assists record from when he was at MK Dons like.

Nowt wrong with looking at stats as a guideline if you have little knowledge of a player.  Just needs to be tempered with the knowledge that they are only a guideline and far from definitive.

In that case I'm fine with it as long as those using them admit to not knowing very little about what they are talking about like you say :lol:

I can always admit to not knowing very little like, I don't know very little about everything :)

Obertan:

Goals - 4

Assists - 14

Townsend:

Goals - 11

Assists - 15

Not great for either, but until I see Townsend I'll assume he's better than Obertan anyway, he's got to be :lol:

A fairly significant amount of those Townsend appearances must be in the lower leagues if it's since Obertan came here?  Quite impressed you managed to find his assists record from when he was at MK Dons like.

Sorry, should have said I only compared like for like competitive games (competitions Obertan also took part in), so Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup and European competition.

2 assists for MK Dons BTW :)

Nowt wrong with looking at stats as a guideline if you have little knowledge of a player.  Just needs to be tempered with the knowledge that they are only a guideline and far from definitive.

In that case I'm fine with it as long as those using them admit to not knowing very little about what they are talking about like you say :lol:

I can always admit to not knowing very little like, I don't know very little about everything :)

True... When one's everything is so little what little you know is probably not worth admitting :lol:

:thup:

As an aside, looking at his loan record, he and Colback were teammates at Ipswich for the first half of the 10/11 season. They eventually finished 13th but when those two left at the turn of the year they were around 19th. Not like Jackie to be hovering round the drop zone.

True... When one's everything is so little what little you know is probably not worth admitting :lol:

:lol:

You had me at "true" mate :thup:

The obsession with stats these days is quite tiresome.

Agreed, feels like 90% of the forum uses stats these days

Maybe because every advanced club in the world is increasingly using stats to guide their decision making. And not goals and assists, but really advanced metrics. Eventually some of that stuff will become available to the general public and it will be glorious.

If it was a choice between getting this guy or a striker / defender then i'd have chosen the latter but I can see how he could improve us as a team.  We've been crying out for some width to stretch games a bit and on that left side we've consistently played forwards who will come inside and look for a pass rather than get down the line and cross.

He's left footed and been playing on the right wing so that has probably contributed to his cut in and shoot routine.  If we play him on the left I think he'll naturally try and go outside and use his left to get some decent balls in.  As previously mentioned, at the worst this will free up space for Sissoko and Janmaat on the right but I can see how this could help Mitros game aswell.

I can confirm, before his pre-photo change of clothes in the bogs, Andros Townsend was wearing:

a brown suit jacket

"man jeggings"

a spotted hanky in his top pocket

winkle picker shoes

This concludes my ITK.

Fucking hell. It's worse than I thought, a modern day  Artful Dodger has come to toon: " Ain't you never seen a toff?"

Obertan:

Goals - 4

Assists - 14

Townsend:

Goals - 11

Assists - 15

Sorry, should have said I only compared like for like competitive games (competitions Obertan also took part in), so Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup and European competition.

2 assists for MK Dons BTW :)

Have you got Sissoko's to compare against?

Sometimes a talented player like Townsend just need a new environment to fulfil a potential, sadly that place will never be at a club like Newcastle, which makes this signing pretty pointless as he will just be wasted or injured. Nothing good will come out of this, it is more the opposite.

my only worry is how we manage to give perez, thauvin and Aarons gametime too....

If another striker comes im perez is 3 choice LW and forward? Thats wrong.

Hope we manage to survive relegation...imagine this squad being relegated...all the money spent :kasper:

Well hope we stay up and can bring proper balance to the squad in the summer.

my only worry is how we manage to give perez, thauvin and Aarons gametime too....

Hope we manage to survive relegation...imagine this squad being relegated...all the money spent :kasper:

In terms of proper quality and assuming Remy is the striker then we'd have four really good options to cover two (maybe three) positions.  Mitro, Townsend, Remy and Perez.  Remy and Perez can both play as striker or left inside forward with Mitro and Townsend playing striker and left winger.

Gives us a lot of options and different ways we can set up plus decent depth (for a change).

In terms of proper quality and assuming Remy is the striker then we'd have four really good options to cover two (maybe three) positions.  Mitro, Townsend, Remy and Perez.  Remy and Perez can both play as striker or left inside forward with Mitro and Townsend playing striker and left winger.

Gives us a lot of options and different ways we can set up plus decent depth (for a change).

agree. its nice with options. but you did not mention Aarons, thauvin and De Jong. Getting the squad balance right (hopefully after survival) is a summer job! Lots of work to be done (players to sell)

I can help with this one. Perez will be off to Spurs in the summer, Aarons will be loaned out and Thauvin will be off this window.

I can help with this one. Perez will be off to Spurs in the summer, Aarons will be loaned out and Thauvin will be off this window.

Thank you Sir, you just ruined my day!

Perez i would very much like to keep.

Aarons loan move makes sense (did he sign a new contract?)

Thauvin - so be it...but feel sad that he like Cabella and Arfa didn´t work out. All the type of players i like to watch...but they not suited for relegation fights...especially not in their first season here.

Would it be the most expensive squad ever relegated? Surely.

Would it be the most expensive squad ever relegated? Surely.

Got a feeling I can think of a worse one.