Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We wouldn't pay the £16m asking price for Townsend when he was available when Allardyce was boss at Palace, what makes anyone think our baulking negotiators would ever go to £20m now?

We wouldn't pay the £16m asking price for Townsend when he was available when Allardyce was boss at Palace, what makes anyone think our baulking negotiators would ever go to £20m now?

to be fair we were in the champo then like

No we wern’t. It was last summer.

Can you see Ashley okaying a £20m fee for a player we had to let go for £13m? It just goes against everything he stands for, especially being the petty cunt he is.

Ritchie has most assists - I like Perez but he is no winger - just think kenedy would be a great 10

kenedy surely too one footed to be a great number 10, have there been any successful one footed players there?

I hear Maradona and Messi are both ok.

Ritchie has most assists - I like Perez but he is no winger - just think kenedy would be a great 10

kenedy surely too one footed to be a great number 10, have there been any successful one footed players there?

I hear Maradona and Messi are both ok.

come on man, neither of them are remotely as one footed as kenedy like, he's the type of player that has to contort his body at times to keep the ball on his left when he should use his right a little

Kenedy made a huge impact in the team by injecting some PL quality pace and trickery/dribbling into the team. Meant we had another way to open teams up and weren't as predictable/reliant on Shelvey to create something.

Assuming he's still as good as he was when with us, Andros adds what Kenedy did, unlike Ritchie/Atsu/Murphy. Ignoring his idiotic decision to leave Rafa, £20m is a decent price in the current market for a proven PL winger who we know for a fact can work well in Rafa's preferred system (this latter part is the key, i.e no gamble). Ideally we want to add two wingers of this type/calibre - why limit ourselves to pace/creativity/quality on one flank only? We'd be a much better team with wingers on both flanks posing a real threat on the ball, especially in Rafa's system. So Townsend plus another Kenedy type would be great.

Can you see Ashley okaying a £20m fee for a player we had to let go for £13m? It just goes against everything he stands for, especially being the petty cunt he is.

Was thinking that myself. He supposedly refused to sanction a £15m move in January 2017 for that very reason, yet 18 months on we are bidding even more for the same player?

Would have Townsend back, but not sure if this rumour is true.... yet.

Was thinking that myself. He supposedly refused to sanction a £15m move in January 2017 for that very reason, yet 18 months on we are bidding even more for the same player?

Isn't that something the fat idiot has done repeatedly, lacazette and Aubameyang spring to mind. We could have bought them for a fraction of the prices paid for them recently, the shortsightedness of Ashley really does beggar belief at times. I can't see us buying Townsend for more than we were prepared to pay a year or so ago, in our owners mind prices haven't upped at all and we can still shop in the £5m to £10m market.

Isn't that something the fat idiot has done repeatedly, lacazette and Aubameyang spring to mind. We could have bought them for a fraction of the prices paid for them recently, the shortsightedness of Ashley really does beggar belief at times. I can't see us buying Townsend for more than we were prepared to pay a year or so ago, in our owners mind prices haven't upped at all and we can still shop in the £5m to £10m market.

Aubameyang didn't want anything to do with us man.

Maybe it's misplaced, but I really do think Ashley is petty enough to refuse to pay £20m for a player we had to let go for £13m. I'll believe we bid that if and when he ends up here.

Aubameyang didn't want anything to do with us man.

Probably true but you know what i mean, especially with it coming out that Graham Carr stop even trying to scout players over a certain value, no matter how good they were.

Aye, he's said himself that we offered more money but he preferred Borussia Dortmund.

If memory serves we were first linked with a very firm interest like two (?) seasons before he ended up leaving though. By the time Dortmund got him he was way more proven and obviously wanted nothing to do with us for that reason. Carr spotted him early enough when he was still within reach, but our lot wouldn’t budge over our valuation. As Bimpy said, the same thing happened with Lacazette not much later.

Guest chopey

This is why I'm confident of a good summer transfer wise if we are prepared to bid £20 million for Townsend then Rafa must have a new number nine lined up as well as a couple of others.

Stick to the upskirting mate

Seriously.......what the fuck do you mean by that !!!

Guest Howaythetoon

I was desperate for us to keep Townsend as I’ve always rated him because he could carry the the ball up the pitch, provide an outlet, worked hard, was a goal threat and fitted the Rafa way. But he left and for dumb reasons. Had he had the intelligence he would have realised what a good thing he had here and with Rafa who could have developed him into a top player. Who knows he may have went to the WC had he stayed and starred for us in the PL. he went to a Pardew Palace and has regressed and for what it would take to bring him back, we could do better and again I’d rather we gave Murphy a chance.

I was desperate for us to keep Townsend as I’ve always rated him because he could carry the the ball up the pitch, provide an outlet, worked hard, was a goal threat and fitted the Rafa way. But he left and for dumb reasons. Had he had the intelligence he would have realised what a good thing he had here and with Rafa who could have developed him into a top player. Who knows he may have went to the WC had he stayed and starred for us in the PL. he went to a Pardew Palace and has regressed and for what it would take to bring him back, we could do better and again I’d rather we gave Murphy a chance.

Sort of playing devils advocate here, but might be biased because I like Andros as a winger and want to give him a second chance if he were to sign for NUFC. So, is it really fair to hold Andros' departure after only 6 months against him? He had plenty of justifiable reasons for wanting to leave to be fair:

- Ashley. That alone is potentially enough.

- No guarantee of instant promotion and having to spend at least a year in the Championship, a dire league with more fixtures and where there's a reputation of more tough tackling.

- Fear of missing out on getting into the England squad.

- Profile and sponsorship lowering.

- Probably more money on offer from Palace.

- Seeing Palace assemble a decent squad and looking like a club with alot more ambition than us (at the time).

- Family and friends probably in London.

- Maybe he has ambition to win trophies, which was never going to be matched here.

- He had given 100% whilst with us, so did he really owe us anything? He was comfortably the one player keeping any hope of staying up alive.

- He's a human being, a big part of which is making mistakes.

- Maybe he's a thick footballer and just does whatever the agent says?

In terms of Rafa and the positives of staying and being a real part of a club for once instead of a journeyman, at the time of leaving Andros stated it was a very hard decision he had made, so clearly knew about and weighed up the positives of staying with NUFC. He must have just decided, or been advised, that the risks were too great.

Also, to be really fair to him he probably would have had no idea what Pardew was like given that it's only really supporters of the teams Pardew has managed who know how destructive the guy is. Many people within the sport had zero clue about this, probably not until Pardew failed at West Brom. They won't have followed Pardew or clubs like NUFC much if at all. So from our point of view Andros' decision was stupid because we knew what he was getting himself into, but from his perspective he's signing for a highly rated (in some camps) British manager who had recently finished 5th and won the PL Manager of the Year, and was seemingly doing alright at Palace.

Having said all this, if there's zero truth in us being back in for him, then yes, he was a stupid twat for leaving NUFC.

Sort of playing devils advocate here, but might be biased because I like Andros as a winger and want to give him a second chance if he were to sign for NUFC. So, is it really fair to hold Andros' departure after only 6 months against him? He had plenty of justifiable reasons for wanting to leave to be fair:

- Ashley. That alone is potentially enough.

- No guarantee of instant promotion and having to spend at least a year in the Championship, a dire league with more fixtures and where there's a reputation of more tough tackling.

- Fear of missing out on getting into the England squad.

- Profile and sponsorship lowering.

- Probably more money on offer from Palace.

- Seeing Palace assemble a decent squad and looking like a club with alot more ambition than us (at the time).

- Family and friends probably in London.

- Maybe he has ambition to win trophies, which was never going to be matched here.

- He had given 100% whilst with us, so did he really owe us anything? He was comfortably the one player keeping any hope of staying up alive.

- He's a human being, a big part of which is making mistakes.

- Maybe he's a thick footballer and just does whatever the agent says?

In terms of Rafa and the positives of staying and being a real part of a club for once instead of a journeyman, at the time of leaving Andros stated it was a very hard decision he had made, so clearly knew about and weighed up the positives of staying with NUFC. He must have just decided, or been advised, that the risks were too great.

Also, to be really fair to him he probably would have had no idea what Pardew was like given that it's only really supporters of the teams Pardew has managed who know how destructive the guy is. Many people within the sport had zero clue about this, probably not until Pardew failed at West Brom. They won't have followed Pardew or clubs like NUFC much if at all. So from our point of view Andros' decision was stupid because we knew what he was getting himself into, but from his perspective he's signing for a highly rated (in some camps) British manager who had recently finished 5th and won the PL Manager of the Year, and was seemingly doing alright at Palace.

Having said all this, if there's zero truth in us being back in for him, then yes, he was a stupid twat for leaving NUFC.

All that and more could be said about Rafa staying when we went down, he was even here for less time and had a far greater reputation to uphold. But he stayed, became and idol for the fans and loved again at another club. Townsend is thought of highly in his own head, no one cares about his career apart from his inner circle (mainly his agents) and as an asset to sell.

He can get fucked. Rather sign no one.