Rate our January transfer window

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For this to be an ok window we had to get in a quality centre back, central midfielder and a proven goal scorer. We only managed one of these, so it's an epic fail of a window. Cant understand how it could be seen otherwise.

Of course we did well to get two other midfielders in and the striker gamble may pay off, but it shouldn't excuse the fact we didn't solve our most important issues first and foremost. We've only increased our survival chances slightly instead of significantly.

A quality centre-back, centre-midfielder and proven goal scorer would have been an terrific window, surely? If that's just OK, then Christ knows what you were expecting.

Edit: :lol: Expecting is probably the wrong word. Let's say "hoping for".

It's because the threat of relegation is massive. I guess im looking at this very black and white, but if its clear each of those three positions need filling as a minimum to give yourself the best chance of survival, then that's the benchmark for the window. The quality of signings or extra signings made on top is what makes it good or beyond that, to me.

If, for example, we'd signed a CB and LB instead of two midfielders, I would say we'd be in a worse position that we are now. The midfield was a glaring weakness, then scoring goals (which may change anyway if a Mitro puts a few in) then finally defenders.

If Doumbia doesn't make an impact and Mitro keeps missing chances then we're doomed, but I think that would've been the case even with new defenders. 

Not sure how someone can state that Saivet is better than Anita/ Colback , no matter how flowery the prose.

I can say anyone is better than Colback. Seeing them play is optional.

We essentially didn't have a central midfield, we must have improved in that area surely?

When has a club ever fixed ALL of their big playing staff problems in January and it went well immediately?

Some very naive thinking on here. 

Problem is we have made poor or no signings for many a window.  In the summer we invested in the wrong players or the wrong type of player for the team at this moment (this goes for all of them including Wij - he's the best AM at the club but we had decent options there compared to other areas).  We've come into January needing the exact same thing we needed in the summer.

In isolation it's a good January window. But to expect 1 Jan window to turn the whole first team around is wild thinking. 

Would've been better getting a different manage tbh.

:lol: Never heard that I have flowery prose before, cheers!

Yeah, I was being a bit generous there, just based on your guys' reactions to Saivet/Anita/Colback tbh. I figure you know your players better than me.

You're welcome  :)

You can't judge the Colback / Anita  either or pairing against any new signing on here,the levels of hatred are beyond neurotic. In fact the forum is known as Neurotics Online,like a box of frogs and monkeys.

After having time to contemplate what we do have and what we missed out on I think we've had a decent window. Glaringly obvious misses being at least a LB and possibly a CB and a ST. However it is feasible that a lot of our issues stemmed from an unbalanced and piss weak midfield, this has been addressed, we have much more options now and a greater sense of balance making us less predictable. The hope here is that the added quality in MF will reduce some of the pressure from defence giving them less probability in making mistakes under pressure and having a more balanced forward play with speed on the wings and a player with a greater range of passing creating more/better chances for our forwards. Hopefully McClaren can form them into a decent unit and get the best out of that midfield, he has the tools now, he's happy with what he's got, time to prove it, nowhere to hide.

When has a club ever fixed ALL of their big playing staff problems in January and it went well immediately?

Some very naive thinking on here. 

Problem is we have made poor or no signings for many a window.  In the summer we invested in the wrong players or the wrong type of player for the team at this moment (this goes for all of them including Wij - he's the best AM at the club but we had decent options there compared to other areas).  We've come into January needing the exact same thing we needed in the summer.

In isolation it's a good January window. But to expect 1 Jan window to turn the whole first team around is wild thinking. 

Would've been better getting a different manage tbh.

I must have missed the posters claiming all positions must be sorted in Jan. I picked out three key ones that I felt had to be sorted.

You'd have to say 4 players who can directly improve your first team is a decent January like, no matter how many other needs you might have.

It's amazing in terms of what usually gets done here.  It just isn't enough in terms of fixing all or even most of the problems we have.  For a team with a decent squad it'd be a good window.  For a club with a very broken squad it might leave us heading towards relegation.  Time will tell I suppose, but if you'd told me in December we'd make me four signings and get these players, I'd have told you to keep dreaming.  I really don't know how to feel about it all, at least not until I see if the new signings have a decent impact.

Afobe is looking more and more like the one that got away.

Away from what? Did we try?

I don't think so. Just seemed like he slipped right under everyone's radar while we were more concerned with chasing Berahino/Austin/Remy.

Afobe is looking more and more like the one that got away.

Away from what? Did we try?

I don't think so. Just seemed like he slipped right under everyone's radar while we were more concerned with chasing Berahino/Austin/Remy.

There was at least one story about us being "taken by surprise" when Bournemouth signed him and that we then reacted quickly to get a Shelvey so there would be no repeat.

:lol: Never heard that I have flowery prose before, cheers!

Yeah, I was being a bit generous there, just based on your guys' reactions to Saivet/Anita/Colback tbh. I figure you know your players better than me.

You're welcome  :)

You can't judge the Colback / Anita  either or pairing against any new signing on here,the levels of hatred are beyond neurotic. In fact the forum is known as Neurotics Online,like a box of frogs and monkeys.

Colback is too slow and can't tackle. You don't have to be paranoid to see that's not much use in a central midfielder.